Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some boardsies

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

To be honest, you are. I know that Boards bans people who misbehave, and I've twice praised the mods for voluntarily doing great work.

What I'm saying is that adults shouldn't be acting like dicks in the first place. Real-life conversations don't need moderators. And while I understand the way that the lack of face-to-face interaction makes people communicate in a more direct and often offensive way online, I think people should take more responsibility for what they post and not act the dick in the first place.

I know they'll get promptly banned for doing so, and that's great, but, in the case of an abusive post for example, that doesn't take away the abuse if the target's read the post.

Boards is a discussion site, not the Ministry of Truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

iguy wrote: »
    Like I made a grammar mistake in the business section, I've dyslexia albeit a slight form,
    such as sometimes I don't paragraph or get on words mixed up or some such mistake.
    Self diagnosed or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

orestes wrote: »
    Boards is a discussion site, not the Ministry of Truth.

Yes, thank you, which is why I don't want it to be a site which dictates the behaviour of its users by having to excessively ban and warn them for acting stupidly.

I'll leave my last word on this issue here:

People should be wary of getting into situations where they might be bullied, but it's more important for people to have some cop-on and act in a civil manner. This doesn't mean they have to be excessively polite, but rather keep in mind the basic guidelines for interacting with fellow adults they follow in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    On a slightly related topic, why is good grammar and literacy not something to take pride in and strive towards, instead of the dirty little secret it appears to be here?

Personally I enjoy reading well-constructed, coherent and intelligently-thought out posts, even those I disagree with. Whilst not in the same league as some, I'd hope the quality of my posts would have improved during the few years I've been here.

Nothing wrong with that but I really don't see why someone would point out someone elses spelling mistake, not all of us have the same level of education etc.

Twice someone on here has posted on a spelling mistake I made and it just seems a petty thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Twice someone on here has posted on a spelling mistake I made and it just seems a petty thing to do.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about them. They're generally the people who aren't that intelligent and thus have to resort to grammar nazism on the internet to mask the fact and make themselves feel better about their own shortcomings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

I don't think its just about grammar nazi's as much of a pain they are , its about offensive users overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Most of the time, the user has dyslexia (Or whatever), or it's a simple typo. Like if they type "Bomer" instead of "Boner." The M is right next to the N, it's clear as day to anyone that isn't a complete twat it's a typo, yet they still have the need to focus on that one thing. It's such a headwreck. I imagine they post the correction, lean back with their hands behind their head and think "Man, I'm wicked smart, me."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

sometimes my keyboard gets fúcked and I lose a letter here or there, if someone decides I'm a semi illiterate tool and disregards my opinion because of it, well that's their problem really. I couldn't give many fúcks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Nothing wrong with that but I really don't see why someone would point out someone elses spelling mistake, not all of us have the same level of education etc.

I don't see that as an excuse for not even attempting to improve. Most 'errors' on here have little to do with education or dyslexia, rather lazy posting without reading back over what has been typed before hitting reply. Use "Preview Post"!

Also I'd imagine there are posters with dyslexia on here with far better grammar/spelling than you or I. They take that little bit longer to consider what they are posting. Success is 5% natural talent, 95% hard work. Same applies to any 'skill' you try learn at which you might not have a natural aptitude for.

Personally I'm not too bothered if someone points out a spelling or grammar mistake on one of my posts. Heaven knows I cringe when I see an error on my old (uneditable) posts. Better late than never for correction.

Anyway it generally points to the person not being able to discuss or refute the points made and resorting to argumentum ad hominem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Everyone has a opinion but only mine is right, my favourite type of forum user!

• Advertisement

Heaven knows I cringe when I see an error on my old (uneditable) posts. Better late than never for correction.

Anyway it generally points to the person not being able to discuss or refute the points made and resorting to argumentum ad hominem
    do you also wear a monocle and smoke a pipe while deciding which posters fulfill your requirements of suitability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ashers22 wrote: »
    sometimes my keyboard gets fúcked and I lose a letter here or there, if someone decides I'm a semi illiterate tool and disregards my opinion because of it, well that's their problem really. I couldn't give many fúcks.

Typos aren't a problem, it's the likes of 'there/their' (which you nailed by the way) which is just down to laziness when everybody was taught the correct way in school.

Personally I think that if being a grammar nazi is an infractionable offence then so should laziness. Punish both sides of the coin in the interest of fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

ashers22 wrote: »
    do you also wear a monocle and smoke a pipe while deciding which posters fulfill your requirements of suitability?
    Why yes indeed sir/ma'am!

Subconsciously I probably do lend more credence to those posters who have made an effort to make their post readable.

Why yes indeed sir/ma'am!

Subconsciously I probably do lend more credence to those posters who have made an effort to make their post readable.
    I don't seem to be as affected by bad grammar in posts as much, I understand the point you're making but I wouldn't disregard an opinion or a person based on it. I prefer if a post contains substance and depth and I can overlook simple errors in those instances but a well constructed post doesn't automatically make the content any less offensive if that's the intent. The op may not have great literary skills but using well constructed subversive posts is hardly any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Rabies wrote: »
    Self diagnosed or ?

Diagnosed not self diagnosed, but I don't feel why I should explain myself.
    Not like I'm making it up to look for attention!!!
    No offence like.
    like I said earlier in the thread up until a few years ago before I joined boards half the things I wrote were barely legible.
    I was always able to read well and spell(out loud )ok enough but when it came to putting things to paper it was all over the place.
    Also to the poster who said I should avoid the soccer forum, there is no chance I'd go near it, because I dispise it, I won't give my feelings towards the game!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

♪ ♫ Voulez-vous croissant sil vous plait, ce soir? ♪ ♫
    ♪ ♫ Voulez-vous croissant avec moi? ♪ ♫
    ♪ ♫ Please pass the marmalade. ♪ ♫

♪ ♫ Voulez-vous croissant sil vous plait, ce soir? ♪ ♫
    ♪ ♫ Voulez-vous croissant avec moi? ♪ ♫
    ♪ ♫ Please pass the marmalade. ♪ ♫

Translation please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ok cool.
    At least you're not one of these people that diagnose themselves.
    Reading your opening post , it was the first thing to pop in to my head.

Don't get too hung up on what people think or say. Be it here or in the big bad scary world of real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

AH was great a few years ago. A lot of really good posters have moved on. It's packed full of moral high ground grabbing, PC brigade snitches who would sell you out to the Mod's in the blink of an emoticon.

Well I can say this as a former mod of 10/11 years of this forum. Unfortunately, due to the sheer volume of AH posts, those types of "snitches" are required to keep order around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It's much easier to take offense to something written on the internet than if it was said in real life. IRL communication is roughly 7% words, 38% tone of voice and 55% body language. We only get the words here. It's also easier to notice if you have upset someone irl by their reaction to what you say and you can rectify misunderstandings quickly before they escalate into someone feeling deliberately picked on/ostracised.

There are some people who are simply dicks but they get warned or banned pretty quickly. I think most people on Boards don't go out of their way to target other users but with so many different personalities on here, it's not surprising that sometimes people's feelings get hurt. I'm not saying it's right but people have different sensitivity levels and what might be banter to some, is bitchiness to others.

Overall, I think AH is a great place to be. You only have to look at the Depression thread to see that people can be incredibly sensitive, helpful and caring towards others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

What the heck do you mean by that?
    Nobody is perfect.
    'basic grammar'
    Maybe your messing but if not then your what I believe is called on boards is a 'grammar nazi'.

Did you miss the point of that post? :pac: He made a simple grammar mistake in it on purpose :D

Did you miss the point of that post? :pac: He made a simple grammar mistake in it on purpose :D

Oh goodness me, probably getting frustrated when he made that post,
    My bad.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If you can't get basic grammar right your in the wrong place!

Another poster 'minidazzler' , pointed out you made a grammar mistake, a simple one even on purpose, however I can't make it out!!! ha.

Sorry if I offended you!!!
    Like I quoted earlier in the thread I thought you might of being messing, so I was right,
    Though could yourself or another boardsie point out your mistake.
    Once again sorry if I offended you
    OR ANYONE ELSE in this thread.
    Not apologizing for my views though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Overall, I think AH is a great place to be. You only have to look at the Depression thread to see that people can be incredibly sensitive, helpful and caring towards others.

In that thread yes but some of the same posters can be incredibly insensitive in other threads.
    It was pointed out on this thread this is AH not for eg personal issues so it's ok to be a smart arse, basically posters pick and choose when their sensitive side comes out to play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some boards.ie user's can be so insensitive!
    Like I made a grammar mistake in the business section, I've dyslexia albeit a slight form,
    You know that you have dyslexia.
    You know that in business that bad grammar can sometimes be a problem.

Two choices.
    Go back over your posts and make sure they are word perfect so you can crucify anyone who complains.

OR

Accept that your communication skills on a single pass aren't perfect and that not everyone will get the message first time every time. It's like people with speech impediments getting upset every single time may have to repeat themselves.

You have a trade off between the quality and quantity of your communication. Just learn to ignore the dicks and remember to double check your work when it's really important (and arguing on the interweb isn't important)

You do not have a right to be automatically offended every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

You do realise that saying how you feel about something is not the same thing as playing the victim card. Talk about blackmail.

.....and then on all the suicide threads people are SHOCKED, ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED.... that men can't talk about their feelings.

What a god damned double bind.

I don't care about suicide threads and I don't mind about people trying to express their feelings. BUT I do mind people who see everyone's fault but theirs.

If you know you are in a bad or "emotional" mood one day why don't you just save yourself the hassle and stay away from situations that will upset you?

Just because you are bipolar doesn't mean that the whole world has to render to your daily mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I don't care about suicide threads and I don't mind about people trying to express their feelings. BUT I do mind people who see everyone's fault but theirs.

If you know you are in a bad or "emotional" mood one day why don't you just save yourself the hassle and stay away from situations that will upset you?

Just because you are bipolar doesn't mean that the whole world has to render to your daily mood.

What the hell has bi polar got to do with this?

Now you think people who talk about their feelings have a mood disorder.

Again, something wrong with them. Now they have a mental illness. Whatever.

OP mentioned it I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

OP mentions he has it in a post around page 3-4
    I've had suicidal thoughts in the past, like I said previously I have bipolar along with other medical problems

• Advertisement

OP mentions he has it in a post around page 3-4

Aye, that's true...:/

Hiya mods,
    As the op of this thread,
    I would ask one of ye to close this thread...
    life is a load of bull as of tomorrow I'll close this thread and then I'll be gone...:/
    yours sincerely,

iguy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Ah don't go, you're great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Irish get insecure over anything, just tell them that another country doesn't like them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement