Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site like Paddy Power's Last Man Standing

Options
  • 24-02-2013 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

For anyone who is familiar with Paddy Power's Last Man Standing competition, I was thinking of creating a similar website. Let's say I wanted to have a Last Man Standing for the League of Ireland, could I create one? Would there be any copyright issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Can't see there being any copyright issue. PP didn't invent last man standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

No copy right issue - the game is played in most offices around the country.

What is your goal of the site - how would you make money?

Would you have a national league that allows for say 5000+ players at once or simply offer a service where people playing in an office use your site to house their own games?

Few different options available.

Main point would be - if I am currently using excel & email to keep track of my company game why would I change and use your service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

You might have to pay the FAI some dosh to use club crests and if you use photos you'd need to pay for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Why League of Ireland - I imagine the amount of people interested would be much lower than the Premiership

You never heard people standing around the watercooler talking about Shamrock Rovers. Just sayin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Your main costs would certainly be image rights, web hosting and prize money.

Is it possible to make money from it? I would imagine so if you can put together the right package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Why League of Ireland - I imagine the amount of people interested would be much lower than the Premiership

You never heard people standing around the watercooler talking about Shamrock Rovers. Just sayin.

Premier League will be over in a few months, LOI is just about to start.

Thanks for the feedback. The plan was to have it almost exactly like the Paddy Power Premier League Last Man Standing. I was going to have one overall league with a subscription fee of 2 or 3 euro and the prize for the winner would be something like a pair of tickets to 2 of Irish National teams home qualifiers. Then people could create their own tournaments for them and their friends which would be free and without any prizes.

An update...I'm going ahead with this project! One more thing I'm concerned about is if Paddy Power owns the rights the name "Last Man Standing"? I've searched online but can't find any answers. For example if I wanted to use the name loilastmanstanding.ie would I face any issues with Paddy Power?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

For example if I wanted to use the name loilastmanstanding.ie would I face any issues with Paddy Power?
    I doubt it, very little (/no) chance they would have any rights over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Not sure what exactly it is but 1) pick a different name than a competitor is using, silly using the exact same name and b) does this fall under gambling? If so you'll need a licence.

Not sure what exactly it is but 1) pick a different name than a competitor is using, silly using the exact same name and b) does this fall under gambling? If so you'll need a licence.

My site wont be a direct competitor with PP Last Man Standing. But the format of the game will be the same so I thought it was best stick with "last man standing" as you associate it with the game format. Maybe someone here is able to suggest a name that is similar I'd be more than happy to consider it! I just can't come up with anything myself.

I cant see why it would fall under gambling (unless Im missing something). Its a competition that people can play for free or pay a fee to win a prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

My site wont be a direct competitor with PP Last Man Standing. But the format of the game will be the same so I thought it was best stick with "last man standing" as you associate it with the game format. Maybe someone here is able to suggest a name that is similar I'd be more than happy to consider it! I just can't come up with anything myself.

I cant see why it would fall under gambling (unless Im missing something). Its a competition that people can play for free or pay a fee to win a prize.

Paying a fee to possibly win a prize would be considered gaming. Info here;
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1956/en/act/pub/0002/index.html

Paying a fee to possibly win a prize would be considered gaming. Info here;
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1956/en/act/pub/0002/index.html

Thanks for the information. Just to be clear how I was going to run my site was by having a subscription option. Anyone who subscribes to the site would be eligible to enter the games that have prizes. SO they wouldnt be directly paying to enter the competition. Would this fall under gaming/gambling? Where would be the best place to contact to seek clarification on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks for the information. Just to be clear how I was going to run my site was by having a subscription option. Anyone who subscribes to the site would be eligible to enter the games that have prizes. SO they wouldnt be directly paying to enter the competition. Would this fall under gaming/gambling? Where would be the best place to contact to seek clarification on this?

I'd say you would likely be fine on the subscription model. That said I think you need to take professional legal advice first as theres no point spending time and effort on this to later on find out you need a gambling license.

There's a few distinctions in the gambling field that are important. One such stipulation is that it is NOT gambling if there is an element of skill to the game. This is why RTE have text in competitions with dumb questions on them like 'What is the capital of Ireland' , "Dubai, Dublin or Detroit". As funny as it may seem that question is deemed to have an element of skill to it and is not just an element of chance which is what would make it gambling.

So if RTE say just text this number to enter the competition then that is gambling. But if they put a dumb question onto the process then it isn't gambling, it is a 'game of skill'.

Your project needs to make sure that it is a game of skill and not one of chance and chance alone. I say that because gambling licenses are not easy or cheap to come by. But overall what you need is proper legal advice before proceeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Myself and a few friends did this last year http://www.lmsfootball.com - Last Man Standing Football

We started with a beta version site (as the logic/coding to make it as automated as possible is pretty tricky) and took it down about 2/3 the way through the season for some major updates. We will be back at the start of next.

We started some games on boards with good feedback and it gave us a good platform for improvement. We have solid logic and a pretty slick interface after some more development.

We wanted to expand on what other Last Man Standing sites offered and make it a bit different so we have the ability to pull in any league and most sports (with a few format changes) and have private/custom leagues too – some other tricks up our sleeves too.

RATM wrote: »
    I'd say you would likely be fine on the subscription model. That said I think you need to take professional legal advice first as theres no point spending time and effort on this to later on find out you need a gambling license.

There's a few distinctions in the gambling field that are important. One such stipulation is that it is NOT gambling if there is an element of skill to the game. This is why RTE have text in competitions with dumb questions on them like 'What is the capital of Ireland' , "Dubai, Dublin or Detroit". As funny as it may seem that question is deemed to have an element of skill to it and is not just an element of chance which is what would make it gambling.

So if RTE say just text this number to enter the competition then that is gambling. But if they put a dumb question onto the process then it isn't gambling, it is a 'game of skill'.

Your project needs to make sure that it is a game of skill and not one of chance and chance alone. I say that because gambling licenses are not easy or cheap to come by. But overall what you need is proper legal advice before proceeding.

Thanks for all the info! Yeah I was hoping the fact that people would be paying a subscription rather than paying to pay the game would mean it isnt an issue. Does this mean that competitions you see on Facebook, like and share to win x amount are considered gambling? Probably is best get some legal advice!
    NeVeR wrote: »
    Myself and a few friends did this last year http://www.lmsfootball.com - Last Man Standing Football

We started with a beta version site (as the logic/coding to make it as automated as possible is pretty tricky) and took it down about 2/3 the way through the season for some major updates. We will be back at the start of next.

We started some games on boards with good feedback and it gave us a good platform for improvement. We have solid logic and a pretty slick interface after some more development.

We wanted to expand on what other Last Man Standing sites offered and make it a bit different so we have the ability to pull in any league and most sports (with a few format changes) and have private/custom leagues too – some other tricks up our sleeves too.

Lets hope we're not in direct competition in the future! How do you intend to make money from the last man standing? Do you have pay to play competitions?

Also, apart from you's and Paddy Power, is there any other Last man standing websites that you are aware of?

Advertisement