Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folklore in meath

Options
  • 24-02-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi

I already posted this in the mythology forum but i don't see any harm posting it here too and seeing what happens I'm trying to do a bit of research on irish mythology in Meath. I was wondering if some of you fine boardsies might have some stories you could tell the older the better and anything that may not be published in any books would be completely amazing. I would be looking for the creatures specifically such as the pooka, the banshee, the Dullahan that kinda thing.

Any help would be much appreciated it turned out to be alot harder to get information than i tought

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

St Patricks festival is held every year on Tara. It's only kinda two weeks away now like. You should probably go to that. Might be some better chance at discussing local interests with historians there .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

There was a folklore survey done in the 1930s by UCD. http://www.ucd.ie/irishfolklore/en/schoolsfolklorescheme1937-38/

I read through all the Meath section on microfiche when I was in college. Maybe ask the library in Navan if they have a copy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

They do indeed have a microfilm of the schools Folklore Collection from all the Meath schools in Navan library. I read through the collection for the two schools local to me. There may be the odd mention of fairy forts, and the misfortune that affected anybody that interfered with them, but mostly nothing you will not have read elsewhere. They are very enjoyable to read though. There's a certain innocence that comes through from the time and the age of those involved in the project.

Advertisement