Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HND Social Studies/Social Care

Options
  • 24-02-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone,

I have applied for the HND in Social Studies/ Social Care and I have my interview next month.
    I am looking for any information from anyone about the course.
    I would love to know about the workload, how many hours, placements, is it enjoyable and where the graduates end up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

Is a HND the same as ordinary degree?
    Social care will get you a job in the disability sector or in the organisation of elderly care or with children in care primarily

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gruenchen

I finished the HND in 2011 and I loved it, Ballyfermot is a great college, the teachers are all very approachable and I found it a great way to get back into third level education (or to start with it). I think the timetable was about 15 to 20 hours a week, and the workload fairly easy to deal with, a good few continuous assessment during the year (essays, presentation etc) and then end of year exams. You will have to do 2 placements preferably in different settings but they are easy with that.

I went on to UCD, and I found the course a big advantage because they teach you how to write essays etc which helped me getting started at university,
    many people went on to other courses some of them into second or third year for their degree in Social Care Work other went into employment,
    I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MagicStars

thanks a million gruenchen, thats some great information there. really looking forward to my interview now.

owla a HND is a higher national diploma so no its not a degree, i think its similar to a btec qualification but i could be wrong, im not too sure on it.
    :)

Advertisement