Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University of Ulster or DIT better for Biomedical Science?

Options
  • 24-02-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm currently in my first year studying Biomedical Science in DIT Kevin Street. I absolutely love the course but not a huge fan of the college or Dublin in general. I knew long before the LC that I wanted to study biomed and had my sights set on Uni of Ulster in Coleraine, because the course would also allow me to work in hospital laboratory medicine and it is relatively close to home. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful and went to DIT instead. I've now reapplied to Ulster this year and received an unconditional offer for first year Biomedical Science coterminous with DPP (Pathology). So here's my dilemma:

I was talking to one of the lecturers in DIT and basically she said that I would be better to stay in DIT because it is a much better course, the lecturers are much more friendly/approachable/dedicated and employers (both in Ireland and abroad) would prefer a biomed degree from DIT due to the practical training element. I realise that it is an amazing and highly rewarding course, but is it really that much better than Uni of Ulster? Both courses are accredited by the IBMS and AMLS after all, so aren't they pretty much identical? Is this lecturer just biased towards DIT? Ulster is at the top of the list for biomed in the UK and it's perfectly clear that Ulster's facilities beat DIT's by a mile! So I really want to transfer to Ulster this year but I'm just so confused as to which course would be better in the long run. Any advice from both Ulster and DIT students/lecturers? Thanks!

Sorry for the essay! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

What does the DPP comeritus mean?
    Why are you so sure about biomed? Do you have an idea which discipline you'd prefer to work in? Or would you do a PhD? Would you be starting from scratch in UU or would you get exemptions due to the DIT course?

Of course a DIT lecturer will be biased towards DIT. It's a business and you're the customer, they're not going to tell you that their competitor is better! In my experience most DIT graduates are strongly biased towards DIT. I have heard that the new state registration board, CORU, may not recognise degrees awarded outside the republic and UU graduates would have to apply as other UK/EU graduates would.

As both courses are currently accredited it is your choice. Practical knowledge needs to be backed up by theoretical knowledge, useful theoretical knowledge! As long as you know basic things like how to pipette on the job training would cover the rest.
    If you're garanteed placement and an accredited degree then it's just a matter of personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Underworld12

Coterminous means that it is an integrated degree with the 3rd year spent on hospital placement, which is necessary for membership with the IBMS/AMLS upon graduation. The DPP stands for Diploma in Professional Practice. All of this basically signifies that the degree fully qualifies you to work in hospital laboratory medicine.

I'm positive about biomed because I've always been really interested in biology and the human body. I also wanted to be a doctor at one stage, but wasn't too keen on the direct contact with patients, so biomed seemed the perfect alternative. The course is more or less a pre-med degree.

As for the discipline I'd prefer to work in, I'm not 100% sure yet, but I'm seriously considering microbiology and immunology, both of these disciplines are fascinating! I'm staying away from biochemistry at all costs, it's horrible. And a PhD is way too far in the future for me to think about, I'll concentrate on graduating first! :D

I would be starting first year in UU again, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact it would probably work to my advantage. Hopefully I'll get exemptions next year, provided I pass my exams in May; physics will be top of the list!

Thanks for the info, glad to hear that. I figured she was biased towards DIT, I guess anyone would be towards their own. Seriously? Oh well, I'm sure biomed in UU will suffice one way or another.

As I said, I love the course and I have done quite well so far. UU does guarantee placement and an accredited degree, and it's only an hour and a bit from where I live, so it's a win win situation I guess. Thanks Dingle_berry! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Thanks for the info, I was wondering if the DPP meant an extra major or something!

About the disciplines: the actual day job can be very different from college or work placement. Biochem and haem are already very automated and are becoming more so. People spend their days essentially at a computer. Immunology is semi-automated and clinical is very different to academic. Clinical is essentially ELISAs and iDIFs (maybe DIFs depending on the lab). Micro has the potential to be automated if molecular biology drops way down in price! Transfusion is also semi automated. Histo, while it has machines, is possibly the least automated. I can't imagine the machine I'd trust to cut a lung biopsy or screen a biopsy completely alone. People have said they don't like histo because its boring (they haven't really looked at the end product or helped troubleshoot a problem), its doing all the work for consultants (so is micro and every other lab really) or there's never any urgency or immediate clinical input (frozen sections, especially in transplant ops).
    If you go down the clinical immunology route in Ireland the two big labs are Beaumont and st james'. The jobs in immunology are few and far between.

No matter what qualification you get there will always be someone who questions its/your reputation/knowledge. In the end as long as its accredited, it will be how you market yourself as a professional that will get you jobs. Choose the place that offers you the best chance at a good mark and all-round CV.

Good luck!

Advertisement