Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JURY SERVICE PROBLEM

Options
  • 24-02-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Good evening

I have been called for jury service - and was all set! it begins on Tuesday. We all have a person to cover us in work so no big deal.

now unfortunately the girl that covers my work has had some very bad news (daughter has been taken seriously ill) and obviously wont be in work.

this is obviously a tricky problem as she covers me I cover her. there is not really anyone who can cover for us both

anybody got any experience with this type of problem? do you think I would be excused if I rang tomorrow, or is it simply just bnow that im going to have to turn up and try explain there ? or cross my fingers i wont get called?

any held would be great

emma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

When i was called for jury service, i just never turned up.

Never heard anything after

• Registered Users Posts: 8 miahar

i am honestly afraid not to turn up - i really couldnt afford a fine or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

miahar wrote: »
    i am honestly afraid not to turn up - i really couldnt afford a fine or anything

Just ring them and explain then they might understand, no harm in asking.

defo going to do that - I actually feel worse now that i have a genuine reason not to go than if I was making up some excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is your employers problem. Contact your boss tonight and have him provide you with a letter first thing in the morning explaining the situation and that there is no one left to cover your work. Present that to the clerk of the court first thing on Tuesday and you'll be excused.

A family member had exactly the same issue last year and did the above.

Ultimately though if they don't excuse you, that's your employers problem, not yours.

• Advertisement

Actually Seamus thats not a bad idea - I did see a thing on the courts website that said your job couldnt make an application for exemption on your behalf, but that kind of sounds like meeting everyone half way .....

The head honcho had originally told me to get out of it, but I genuinely had only one real excuse at the time and it was family members illness. I felt that using this as an excuse was tempting fate. I reckon he will be only too delighted to do up the letter for me. :(

Advertisement