Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

age your pet

• 24-02-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭

whats the oldest past or present pet you ever owned just as a matter of interest

my father inlaw was adamant their dog was 23 when he died

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

One of my pet rats in Germany was 3.5 years, when she passed away. That's quite old for those pets, afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My dog was 15 when she passed away, had her for most of my life, and the only time she ever saw a vet was to be neutered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

I've been unlucky. Gave a home to 7 stray cats and the longest one ever lasted was a year. One only lasted 3 weeks before a car splattered him. Admittedly I actually hit one myself. It was asleep under the car and was deaf so it didn't hear the car. Rolled straight over it's head. Felt terrible about it. Found my current cat in a ditch as a kitten and it's now ~3 years old. Had a dog that was about 4 years old but some c*nts came and stole him one night when no one was home. Never saw him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My dog was 13 a few weeks ago. We mostly only had the regular annual trip to the vet for shots etc until 2 years ago which was good going. Now he suffers from some age related conditions which require medication and more regular visits to the vets but he's doing good! Got him for my 1st communion and now I'm 3rd year university so he's a huge part of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭phonypony

Had a Labrador live to an (I think) amazing 17 before being put to sleep. Very difficult to do considering his mind was as sharp as ever, his body let him down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

phonypony wrote: »
    Had a Labrador live to an (I think) amazing 17 before being put to sleep. Very difficult to do considering his mind was as sharp as ever, his body let him down.

thats an amazing age for a lab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I had a Whippet who lived 17 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My mothers dog is ~about~ 16 . Deaf as a post, eyesight and legs not great but still manages to bark at cartoon dogs on the telly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

The family tortoise is in her 60's and still going strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I've been lucky with my dogs so far, all have lived to at least 15 years.
    The last one to pass away, last April aged 17+, was blind for a few years but adjusted and stil enjoyed life right until the end.

The oldest of my brood has just turned 10 years, so I hope she has a good few years left to enjoy.

• Advertisement

Mo60 wrote: »
    I've been lucky with my dogs so far, all have lived to at least 15 years.
    The last one to pass away, last April aged 17+, was blind for a few years but adjusted and stil enjoyed life right until the end.

The oldest of my brood has just turned 10 years, so I hope she has a good few years left to enjoy.

you have been lucky the oldest i had myself was 13 jackrussell/beagle cross called nelson mad as a hatter to the end

Duvetdays wrote: »
    The family tortoise is in her 60's and still going strong

is it true they can live to a hundred

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd a collie I rescued from the pound who was in bits and the vets aged him at twenty plus, got a few months of happiness before he went away.

Also a Schipperke I ended up via rescue who was known to be 21 as he'd had the one owner who had passed away, he (the schipperke) was blind and deaf but again had a few months, before he died naturally in no pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

My 13 year old westie is snoring away on a mat in front of me. It will be a sad day for us when he decides to pop his clogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

One of our family dogs, Champ, was a cross between a rough collie and an alsation and he lived till he was 17.

johnayo wrote: »
    My 13 year old westie is snoring away on a mat in front of me. It will be a sad day for us when he decides to pop his clogs.

its funny really the older they get the more they pull at your heart strings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Honey, the dog I had as a kid, lived to be 16 before she, blind and deaf, managed to escape the garden and vanish off to die. She was bad tempered and dog aggressive but I still miss her, dammit.

kylith wrote: »
    Honey, the dog I had as a kid, lived to be 16 before she, blind and deaf, managed to escape the garden and vanish off to die. She was bad tempered and dog aggressive but I still miss her, dammit.

they seem to know themselves when their time has come i have heard other stories like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Cody died at 17.5 on my grandmothers anniversary. God I love that dog

Cody.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

My Cat will be 19 in May.

• Advertisement

johndoe99 wrote: »
    My Cat will be 19 in May.

how is he/she health wise thats a brilliant age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only lost one dog so far, the first dog we'd ever gotten, a Jack Russell. She only managed 11 years, her heart started failing on her. She was highly strung and a little overweight for most of her life, so that's probably what did it.

As much as I loved her and was heartbroken, she was really the family dog (in reality she was closest to my mum). Whereas with Darcey, she's the first dog myself and my wife got and she's our dog. While I've come to terms with the fact that her life is short, I've no idea how I'm going to cope when she goes. Thankfully she's only six now, and aside from an allergic skin condition and a missing leg she's as strong as an ox. Basically never gets sick.

My wife had a cat that lived to 19 and up till she was 17 or 18, was still as spritely as ever. Deaf as post for half her life and missing half her ears because she was albino (they had to be removed to avoid sunburn), but a great little cat. In the end she didn't go slowly, which I think the family were thankful for. She slowed down herself but was still all into cuddles and running around the house. Then one day she went off her food and started sleeping 23 hours of the day and she was gone a couple of days later. The Vet offered to try save her, but everyone agreed that at 19 years of age, the stress of going through an operation, recovery, etc, would probably kill her and make her last few days of life very unenjoyable.

seamus wrote: »
    Only lost one dog so far, the first dog we'd ever gotten, a Jack Russell. She only managed 11 years, her heart started failing on her. She was highly strung and a little overweight for most of her life, so that's probably what did it.

As much as I loved her and was heartbroken, she was really the family dog (in reality she was closest to my mum). Whereas with Darcey, she's the first dog myself and my wife got and she's our dog. While I've come to terms with the fact that her life is short, I've no idea how I'm going to cope when she goes. Thankfully she's only six now, and aside from an allergic skin condition and a missing leg she's as strong as an ox. Basically never gets sick.

My wife had a cat that lived to 19 and up till she was 17 or 18, was still as spritely as ever. Deaf as post for half her life and missing half her ears because she was albino (they had to be removed to avoid sunburn), but a great little cat. In the end she didn't go slowly, which I think the family were thankful for. She slowed down herself but was still all into cuddles and running around the house. Then one day she went off her food and started sleeping 23 hours of the day and she was gone a couple of days later. The Vet offered to try save her, but everyone agreed that at 19 years of age, the stress of going through an operation, recovery, etc, would probably kill her and make her last few days of life very unenjoyable.

my inlaws dog had an operation for testicular cancer at 19 the vet said the anasthetic would probably kill him 2 days later hes back to his old grumpy self unless you had taytos for him then you were his best friend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We had a cat that lived to be 17 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

jimf wrote: »
    they seem to know themselves when their time has come i have heard other stories like this

I've heard the same myself. It was years ago now, but my dad is still heartbroken over it and blames himself. He just went to put the bin out, a task that took him 5' from the gate and lasted 30 seconds and it was enough for the dog to slip out. She'd been having difficulty finding her kennel for months, was blind, deaf, and quite arthritic but that 30 seconds was enough for her to vanish. He tore every ditch and hedge apart for days looking for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Had a JRT who lived to be 16 years and 2 months before we had to pts her due to a massive liver tumour - she went rapidly downhill in her last 2 weeks and stopped eating in the end.

She was half blind, deaf as a post, had arthritis and was a bit forgetful but still barked at the world, did a dance when one of her people got home, loved her grub, claimed the garden as hers and went for walks -although we carried her more than she walked- sniffing the air happily. She remained firmly Alpha Dog until the day she died ruling the house from her bed by the fire - her beautiful heart was as strong as an ox and it broke my heart to give the go ahead to stop it but the rest of her body had given up. She spent her last 48 hours cuddled up with me- I felt like she was telling me she had to go but didn't want to leave me so I had to make the decision.

I miss her so very very much. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

My last dog lived with me for 14 years after I rescued him as a pup (collie x). My current pup is 9 months, living with me for 6. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

My sisters cat died last year at the fine age of 21. He was a beauty and one of the laziest cats I have ever seen. He was called Filthy, I know weird but does not surprise me knowing my sister.

brrabus wrote: »
    My sisters cat died last year at the fine age of 21. He was a beauty and one of the laziest cats I have ever seen. He was called Filthy, I know weird but does not surprise me knowing my sister.

for your sake i hope she doesnt see this or you may have some explaining to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

jimf wrote: »
    for your sake i hope she doesnt see this or you may have some explaining to do

LOL, she will just laugh, she is totally nuts. She loves the shock factor, my mum was disgusted when she initially named him and kept saying "I can't call him that" but over the years my mum just go used to it. So funny hearing my mum say "poor filthy" when he was ill at the end.

Advertisement