Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

age your pet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

A friend of mine had a cat that died at 19.5 years.
    But the oldest cat I ever met was a Ragdoll at my vet's. My vet keeps some customers' pets at her clinic while they're away. This cat I met was 24, but she looked much younger. When my vet dared me to guess this cat's age I said 12...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

jimf wrote: »
    how is he/she health wise thats a brilliant age

Perfectly fine. I often say she'll live another 19 years, she's a house cat. She's missing a few teeth, she can't jump to high walls anymore. She never leaves the garden anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

jimf wrote: »
    is it true they can live to a hundred

Not sure how old they live to out of the wild. She's the easiest pet possible sleeps for about 5mths of the year and doesn't need walking.
    She's fond of the odd slug though and caught a parasite infection off one similar to lungworm and was in a bad way for a while last year, racked up quite the vets bill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

My older cat Puddy was PTS at 21 last year, due to a long running battle with cancer and progressively worsening ear problems. The remaining two cats are rolling up to 20 and 13. The 20 year old- despite being short a few teeth- is as active and annoying as ever (he very much likes to break into all our neighbours' homes and has 'issues' with doors being closed). He is currently asleep in the hotpress. The 'baby' was a feral rescue kitten we had to hand feed and he only has one eye. He is now happy little bowling ball with feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

my aunts dog died was nealy 19 yrs old jack russel x.was deaf, nearly blind.cousin backing out van and didt see him . 2 days later pts.cousins were fairly upset.the dog would normally haved moved,but didt hear the car.:( will be a year gone may 21st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

There's a very sweet headstone in the front garden of my house. It is in memory of a dog who died in 1877, aged 20 years. The chap down the road says his dog was at least 22 when he was killed last summer in a farm accident. My closest neighbour insists his sheepdogs always live until they're eighteen or nineteen unless they get killed on the road in their first two years. I hope there's something in the water in the area that gives dogs long and health lives, as I have two collies myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

we lost our 14 year old cockatiel joey last night :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

PucaMama wrote: »
    we lost our 14 year old cockatiel joey last night :(

thats sad its never easy to loose a pet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My granny (we pretty much lived at her house with the animals) had a dog born 6 months before me who died aged 17 just as I finished my exams. He looked like a 1/2 sized retriever and was our best friend growing up. Had a dodgy heart according to vet, from about 3, needed no meds until he was 14, played footie, tennis, fetch and chased all 4 of us around to the end.

The next dog was bigger, a boxer x lab that had to be put down at 16 due to inoperable tumour.

I had a cat growing up that travelled on London buses daily (from our flat to nans house as i wouldnt leave her home alone! i was 2)until she decided she wanted to move into my nans permanently, she lived to 18 there, along with my nans cats, Sugar who was 23 when she died, and Honey who was 21.

My dads cat died 2 years ago aged 19, in fact any family cats lived at least 15yrs, when we were growing up.

My daughters cat is Jake, 13 in June and happily wrestling Mouse(kitten) in front of the fire, daughter has grown up with him and his brother Harry since she was 2. They were dressed up, walked in the pram, taught to do tricks (jake high fives and will jump through hula hoop), sadly Harry passed away age 8, the day we got our older dog, I think the pup kept jake from pining away at the loss.
    We adopted a cat Toby shortly after, aged we think about 9 now (still in fine health) Then another pup, now 4 and have 4 rats aged between 11 months and 4 months, and a 6 month old kitten.

Rats average 2 1/2 years, sadly not long at all, but both breeds of dog we have are supposed to live to 16+ on average (Oliver is 5 and still behaves like a pup), fingers crossed they make that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A cockatiel like PucaMama's at 14. Died in my hands. Very hard :(:( Sorry to read that PM. Very good age for a cocky though. As if that's any consolation.:(

My last dog reached 17, big lad too. Died in his sleep. I still miss him.

My childhood(v popular in the 1970's) red eared turtle who died at 36. That hit me hard I have to say as he was kinda my last link to childhood in a way. Been with me in life and moves all through my early years, then teenage, then 20's and into my 30's. :( I currently have an Amboina box turtle I got 20 odd years ago and she's still in the full of her health so her and my musk turtle - at 19 barely a baby - will likely outlast me. TBH I mentioned them in my will I drew up many years ago. So they'll hopefully irritate my beneficiary long after I'm an urn on a mantle. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Old pony I knew died at the ripe age of 43 she was a little rocket and enjoyed a nice retirement for the final 10 years of her life.

Advertisement