Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to feed a cow a month before calfing

• 24-02-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi just wondered what I should feed a cow the month before she calfs. Some people advise nothing extra for a small calf and easier calving. Others say oats. Just wondered what is the general consensus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

If she is in good enough condition and has access to good supply of hay/silage (or even grass) then she shouldn't need anything extra. At a month to calving anything extra she gets will go more or less on the calf which will make (possibly) for a big calf and a difficult calving. You might get her a pre-calving lick bucket, it has extra vitamins/minerals that might prevent problems after she has the calf.
    Best of luck - hope all goes well for you. I also have a cow due in about a month and think she is either having twins or an awful big calf. (she wasn't able to fit in the crush at testing time, last month) I'm watching her very carefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

precalver mineral for starters. Can be got in the coop.

Hay adlib or else restricted silage i.e. let her run out of silage for 8-10hrs per day. you don't want her on a powerful feed... that will make for a difficult calving as the calf will get fat in the womb and she'll lay down fat in the birth canal making for a difficult calving too.

I know some say oats but sounds like an added expense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

49801 wrote: »
    precalver mineral for starters. Can be got in the coop.

Hay adlib or else restricted silage i.e. let her run out of silage for 8-10hrs per day. you don't want her on a powerful feed... that will make for a difficult calving as the calf will get fat in the womb and she'll lay down fat in the birth canal making for a difficult calving too.

I know some say oats but sounds like an added expense to me.

if you only have a few cows, then the expense is minor. Make sure it's rolled Oats - very good for cow before calving.

Make sure though to give her some form of pre-calver minerals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

KatyMac wrote: »
    If she is in good enough condition and has access to good supply of hay/silage (or even grass) then she shouldn't need anything extra. At a month to calving anything extra she gets will go more or less on the calf which will make (possibly) for a big calf and a difficult calving. You might get her a pre-calving lick bucket, it has extra vitamins/minerals that might prevent problems after she has the calf.
    Best of luck - hope all goes well for you. I also have a cow due in about a month and think she is either having twins or an awful big calf. (she wasn't able to fit in the crush at testing time, last month) I'm watching her very carefully!
    Generally if a cow is going to have twins she will get a little thin even if you are a good feeder,thats how you will know.She wont get thin if carrying one big calf

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭truebloodfan

Generally if a cow is going to have twins she will get a little thin even if you are a good feeder,thats how you will know.She wont get thin if carrying one big calf

Had a cow with twins this year. Unfortunately it was shooting season a month before she was due and one Saturday they were out in force. Didn't bother the rest but terrified her and she ran herself out and lost the calves. Sickening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement