Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Ever player with a LOI side

• 24-02-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

To tie in with the other thread on the greatest club who do people think have been the best players to don the shirts of a LOI side. You can include players who have left for foreign clubs.

IMO the names that spring to mind are Pat Byrne, Dave Barry, Liam Coyle and John 'O Flynn although hes crocked now.

I would regard Dermot O'Neil as the best goalkeeper I've seen.

If I was going to go for one it would be Dave Barry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Philly Hughes for Shels :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

To tie in with the other thread on the greatest club who do people think have been the best players to don the shirts of a LOI side. You can include players who have left for foreign clubs.

IMO the names that spring to mind are Pat Byrne, Dave Barry, Liam Coyle and John 'O Flynn although hes crocked now.

I would regard Dermot O'Neil as the best goalkeeper I've seen.

If I was going to go for one it would be Dave Barry.
    Between Keane and Mcgrath if you're including players who went on to better things. Giles and Best were the opposite having had great careers before playing here.

Joey Ndo is probably the best player ever to play in any league so I'd have to say him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wes Hoolahan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Keith Fahey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Surely it has to be George Best.

If it's not players who came over for a jolly at the end of their career then Roy Keane.

If it's the player who was the best overall then you'd be hard pushed to top Paul Doolin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liam Coyle ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Of players that spent most of their careers in the league I'd say Hilary Carlyle, Brendan Bradley, Turlough O'Connor, Liam Coyle and Paul Doolin top my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

In my lifetime I would say it is between Ndo, McCourt and Fahey. All unplayable when they were on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Paul Osam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

eagle eye wrote: »
    Of players that spent most of their careers in the league I'd say Hilary Carlyle, Brendan Bradley, Turlough O'Connor, Liam Coyle and Paul Doolin top my list.

Kevin Hunt for Bohs deserves to go in this list , he was a real gem of a player . He is now a scout for Manchester City .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Best player I've seen in the flesh, Joey Ndo without a doubt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bobby Charlton and Gordon Banks are worth mentioning I guess. Neither played for particularly long though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Best goalkeeper would be Alan O' Neill.

Best defender is Paul McGrath.

Best midfielder Barry Kehoe.

Best Striker Jonathon Speak.

Cult hero; Jackie Jameson .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Best goalkeeper would be Alan O' Neill.

Best defender is Paul McGrath.

Best midfielder Barry Kehoe.

Best Striker Jonathon Speak.

Cult hero; Jackie Jameson .

Brian Murphy is best goalkeeper IMO and I'd probably consider Jason Byrne as the best striker the league has had.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dixie Dean had a brief spell with Sligo

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Patsy Freyne. One of the best players the league ever had.

I'm surprised at the number of votes for Ndo, quality player no doubt but I definitely wouldn't have said the best. I'd have players like Osam and Coyle above him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Probably kevin hunt.

Retro shoutout: Derek Swan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Liam Coyle was magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I'd have to say Joseph Ndo. Ran rings around players on his day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Kevin Hunt definitely! An absolute joy to watch him dominate midfields

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ndo scored the best non-Rovers goal I've seen against UCD in 2006. He doesn't seem as incisive as he was then, but still has to be in the reckoning.

Coyle good shout, surprised nobody has mentioned Heary, Hutton..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Best player to ever feature in LOI: Hard to look beyond George Best.

Best player to play LOI before going on to better things: Probably Roy Keane.

Best player who spent a lot of time in LOI and is known mainly for what they did in LOI: I'd go for Liam Coyle. Probably the most gifted LOI player I ever saw. Picked up a couple of league and cup medals too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Joey N'do, everything just looks so effortless from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've only ever watched 2 league of Ireland teams in action.

The first was an all star team vs sky ones dream team. absolutely brutal standard, if I remember right one of the westlife lads was motm.

second was shelborne vs deportivo, joey edo came on mid second half and was heads and tails above everyone other shells player, he was actually the only player to be able to control a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Brian Mooney was class for shels. But my vote goes to Max Cream. Only players with talent like his can wear yellow boots.
    Oranage2 wrote: »

The first was an all star team vs sky ones dream team. absolutely brutal standard, if I remember right one of the westlife lads was motm.

second was shelborne vs deportivo, joey edo came on mid second half and was heads and tails above everyone other shells player, he was actually the only player to be able to control a ball.
    I think we need more input from the man who saw 180 minutes of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah because Alan Moore and Wes Hoolahan amongst others never had a touch between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah because Alan Moore and Wes Hoolahan amongst others never had a touch between them.

Ah now come on, the man saw a whole 90 minutes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

That was a team of celebrities if someone that wasn't a footballer won motm.

One of the best league of Ireland squads assembled had no decent players despite being all full time pros and a lot of former or future internationals? Ok then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Tony Sheridan was a class act when he wanted to be. And glen crowe deserves a mention. Only started watching at around mid 90's, so can't go back further than that.
    dan1895 wrote: »
    That was a team of celebrities if someone that wasn't a footballer won motm.

One of the best league of Ireland squads assembled had no decent players despite being all full time pros and a lot of former or future internationals? Ok then.
    He saw one team play 1 game, he's more than qualfied to say who the greatest LOI player of all time is ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The best player in my opinion is Ndo, followed by McCourt.

There's no point mentioning players like Roy Keane or George Best based on how they performed in a different league.

McCourt was a different class when he played here, the fact that he hasn't really gone on to better things is completely irrelevant.

If Quigley has another good year this year then he'll be up there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Liam O'Brien

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

McCourt never really played well against the better teams. I think he had 1 good game against Shelbourne and was anonymous in the others. He was pants in the European games (not sure about Gretna but they were hardly top class opposition).

The likes of Ndo, Heary, George O'Callaghan (in his 1st cork stint) and O'Flynn were always at their best in the big games. George O'Callaghan was one of the few players I genuinely feared when we were up against him. He could have been a true great had he not been a bit mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Surprised to see so much love for McCourt. I was actually happy to see him come off the bench in the decider in 2005 as I knew in a pressure game like that, he would do nothing. And he didn't. He was a handy player, excellent on his day, but greatest LOI player? Not even close.

Greatest is hard to say, depending on eras and all. I think the best players I have seen in LOI, not including CCFC players

Owen Heary
    Kevin Hunt
    Glen Crowe
    Stuey Byrne
    Trevor Molloy
    Peter Hutton
    Ollie Cahill (majority of his career was not at CCFC)
    Alan Reynolds (only 1 season at CCFC)
    Bobby Ryan
    Jason Byrne

If i were to add CCFC players, George O Callaghan would top the list. He should still be playing and lording it in LOI football, but he is a mess and never fulfilled his potential despite being POTY in 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Pat Byrne and Sir Gary of Scotland are the two best I've seen in the Hoops in my lifetime with a special shout out to Wes Hoolihan v Deportivo, I may have seen Roy Keane playing for Cobh but not sure. If Paddy McCourt was as dedicated as he is skilled he could have been up there with George Best IMO, some of the things he did on a football pitch had to be seen to be believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

In the last 10 years id say McCourt, N'Do and Fahey for their ability to impose themselves on the game. Surprised the likes of Jason byrne and crowe have been mentioned but no Gary Twigg. Perhaps not the best footballer but certainly the best striker to play in the last 10-15 years.

From a cult hero perspective and amazing while he was here I cant believe no Rovers fans have said Noel Hunt. He was never prolific but he was so talented, I was actually surprised he hasnt made a better name for himself in England.

Edit: Marwelie beat me to Twigg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I really can't decipher for the life of me why you thought posting in this thread was a good idea.

Advertisement