Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Con Martin. RIP

Options
  • 24-02-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Brendan Ryan ‏@BrendanRyanTD
    Sorry to hear of death of Con Martin Senior. A lovely man. Used to call to our home in Portrane. "Our Insurance Man" So sad for his family.

Very sad to hear of Con's passing, a gentleman,
    LeoB wrote:

Rush man Con Martin was on the first team to travel overseas and beat England at soccer. They (the English) claim it was "the mighty Maygars" Hungary in 1954 who won 6-3 at Wembley but it was in fact Ireland who beat them 2-0 at Goodison Park in 1948. Con scored. He also has the distinction of playing in goal for Ireland also. A team mate got injured on a tour of Spain and Portugal and Con kept a clean sheet as Ireland beat Spain 1-0

Con still lives in Rush and in his day was a noted Gaelic player and represented Dublin winning a Leinster C'Ship medal but he only got his medal in the 1990s as he had played soccer for Druncondra during the "BAN". Con's son Mick has 51 caps for Ireland also.

Cornelius Joseph Martin (born Rush, Dublin, 20 March 1923 Martin initially played Gaelic football with Dublin before switching codes and embarking on a successful soccer career, playing for, among others, Drumcondra, Glentoran, Leeds United and Aston Villa. Martin was also a dual international and played and captained both Ireland teams - the FAI XI and the IFA XI. In 1949 he was a member of the FAI XI that defeated England 2–0 at Goodison Park, becoming the first non-UK team to beat England at home.

Martin, nicknamed Mr. Versatility,played in every position during his soccer career. Although he played mainly as a centre-half, the ball-handling skills he developed playing Gaelic football also made him a very useful goalkeeper. He actually made his international debut with the FAI XI as a goalkeeper and despite turning down the chance to sign for Manchester United as a goalkeeper, he later played nearly a whole season in goal for Aston Villa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Q
    LeoB wrote:

I mentioned Con Martin above and today I heard another fact about him and his son Mick

The weekley sports trivia question from Damien Lawlor on John MUrray show this morning,
    "Who are the only Father and Son to score for Republic of Ireland in full international".
    The answer was Con and Mick Martin. I now await delivery of my copy of season of Sundays, (my second copy)

Con's grandson I believe is banging in goal for Crystal Palace at moment. Wonder could he make it make it 3rd generation to score?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_Martin

Note.
    WIKI wrote:
    Martin played Gaelic football in his youth and was called into the Dublin senior panel aged just 18. On 9 November 1941 he helped Dublin win the Leinster title, partnering Joe Fitzgerald of Geraldines in midfield in the final against Carlow. However at the same time as playing for Dublin, he was also playing soccer for Drumcondra. When this was discovered, the Gaelic Athletic Association, which maintained a ban on foreign sports, expelled Martin and withheld his winners medal. He eventually received the medal in 1971, after the ban was lifted.

Martin is one of several notable Dublin footballers to have successfully switched codes. Others include Jack Kirwan, Val Harris and Kevin Moran.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

I'm a tanner for the Mero, and me confo money's hid,
    if Mary’s in the family way, she can blame the Cisco kid.
    I'll be langers in the morning, me langers need a patch.
    Ah, Jesus! There's Con Martin, I hope yiz win the match.

rock whore wrote: »

I'm a tanner for the Mero, and me confo money's hid,
    if Mary’s in the family way, she can blame the Cisco kid.
    I'll be langers in the morning, me langers need a patch.
    Ah, Jesus! There's Con Martin, I hope yiz win the match.

Brilliant, Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

RIP

Pathe Film newsreel highlights of the famous 2-0 victory against England in 1949. Con can be seen scoring the first goal from the penalty spot 47 secs in. He also played in goal in 1946 for Ireland in our first win against Spain during a tour of Iberia.

irelandteamvspain1946.jpg

pepysmartin~1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Didn't he or his son own The Home and Away pub (now the Malting House) in Skerries? I have a hazy memory of Mick organising a soccer match which took place in the Rugby Club in Skerries with Frank Stapleton and Liam Brady taking part. Anyone remember this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Unshelved wrote: »
    Didn't he or his son own The Home and Away pub (now the Malting House) in Skerries? I have a hazy memory of Mick organising a soccer match which took place in the Rugby Club in Skerries with Frank Stapleton and Liam Brady taking part. Anyone remember this?

Yes they owned it for a few years. I remember that game and a cricket match they played in Rush, with Stapleton, David O'Leary, Ashley Grimes and Mick playing.There were also a few others there but not playing. After this they had a pro-am golf event in Rush with the above plus the like of Pat Jennings, Christy O'Connor and a few T.V celebs of that time playing.

I was talking to one of Con's sons who was telling me about 10 years ago he was getting a job done on his house. The lad carrying out the work noticed some of Con's international caps and asked "who owned them" When he was told they were my father Con Martins caps the man replied "Jeasus he played for Waterford". Cons son was amazed he knew of the Waterford connection but very little of his football history.

Nice tribute to Con in Lansdowne Rd on Tuesday night.

Advertisement