Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2 for pint of Mi-wadi

Options
  • 24-02-2013 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Was in the dropping well pub in milltown this evening for a bite to eat. We ordered 2 pints of mi-wadi orange and got 2 refills during our meal.

When we got the bill we saw an 8 euro charge for drinks. when i queried the charge with the waitress she said it was 2 euro per pint of mi-wadi which I thought was a bit ridiculous.

2 euro for what is essentially a dash of cordial seems like a bit of a rip-off. So just a heads up for anyone that might be in there in future. I won't make the same mistake again anyway!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

That's ridiculous, I thought it would have been €0.50 or €1 max!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You are not paying for the miwadi on its own. You are paying for the staff, heat, rates, cordial and all the other expenses a business has to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Maccers55 wrote: »
    Was in the dropping well pub in milltown this evening for a bite to eat. We ordered 2 pints of mi-wadi orange and got 2 refills during our meal.

When we got the bill we saw an 8 euro charge for drinks. when i queried the charge with the waitress she said it was 2 euro per pint of mi-wadi which I thought was a bit ridiculous.

2 euro for what is essentially a dash of cordial seems like a bit of a rip-off. So just a heads up for anyone that might be in there in future. I won't make the same mistake again anyway!!

and then you'll have Pub owners complaining how bad business is, which is no surprise when you see rip offs like this.

You are not paying for the miwadi on its own. You are paying for the staff, heat, rates, cordial and all the other expenses a business has to pay.

what if you order a pint of tap water?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I'm pretty sure that was well subsidised with the price of the meal!! Cheeky mares charging for cordial!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

You should have called for a manager and flat out refused to pay that price for something that should have been given to you complimentary with your food. At worst maybe a euro each for the flavoured water you had.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    what if you order a pint of tap water?

What about it. The staff member still expects to be paid. The council still expect to be paid rates. The ESB expects to be paid for the lights. etc etc etc.

Or maybe you think that as its tap water it should be free?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Next time order 20 pints of it and then say "sorry I forgot my wallet" and walk out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Maccers55

The fact we had just spent 50 euro on food we thought it was a bit cheeky and in particular to charge us for the refills as well.

Like i said we did query it and all the waitress said was that is what they always charge. She said it was 1 euro for a glass and 2 euro for a pint!!

I've no problem paying something towards but 2 euro seems crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Dropping well were never short of people they knew they could charge what they like. In that premises one should not question the price. Welcome to rip off Ireland, enjoy your gathering, make sure you have your return ticket before you travel. If not you will not be able to afford one after your stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

What about it. The staff member still expects to be paid. The council still expect to be paid rates. The ESB expects to be paid for the lights. etc etc etc.

I understand the cost of doing business but that's about a 2000% mark up.... Can't thinks of any other product that you would expect to pay such a premium

Maybe everytime I take a piss I should pay €2 for the water to wash my hands with.:rolleyes:

btw..where i choose to eat, water and cordials are supplied at no extra cost. I presume the mark up on the food alcohol & minerals cover that. And I;m very happy to leave a decent tip when I feel I have received good service.

collie0708 wrote: »
    I understand the cost of doing business but that's about a 2000% mark up.... Can't thinks of any other product that you would expect to pay such a premium

To put it into perspective.

2% or 2000%, it really doesnt matter.

Can you quantify how much money this involves? Say the juice cost 20c. Then you pay the staff member to make it and the waitress to bring it.

How much did the pub make?

I own my own business, and the costs were a real eye opener. I look on things differently now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

8 euros for 4 glasses of miwadi is a rip off full stop and if you pay that with a smile on your face then your a sucker and a sucker will always be taken advantage of, the term Rip Off Ireland didnt happen by accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

I see where you are coming from, this is not the celtic tiger years. Get a grip, if the likes of you do not, your business's is ruined. It is a treat to have lunch out, but with rip off gathering you are looking at your demise and your poorly paid employees on the dole. Ever seen an old movie, where the guy pulls in to a rest stop, with the shutters banging in the breeze, and nothing there. That is your future. Until guys like cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ah yeah that is true. However, when you consider a full bottle of mi-wadi in tesco is coming in at 1.44euros here; I think paying 8euros for 4pints of the cordial was a rip-off alright when you can get approx 10pints with just 1 full-bottle of the mi-wadi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

To put it into perspective.

Can you quantify how much money this involves? Say the juice cost 20c. Then you pay the staff member to make it and the waitress to bring it.

I own my own business, and the costs were a real eye opener. I look on things differently now.

Couldnt disagree more! Tapwater is free in every pub or restaurant I've ever been in. €2 is taking the piss for a dash of mi-wadi.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Couldnt disagree more! Tapwater is free in every pub or restaurant I've ever been in. €2 is taking the piss for a dash of mi-wadi.

What part do you disagree with?

The fact that staff must get paid? or is it the fact that you get nothing for nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What part do you disagree with?

The fact that staff must get paid? or is it the fact that you get nothing for nothing?

I disagree with the part where you say:

Answer me this, if you ran a restaurant, would you charge for a glass of water for someone eating a meal? The glasses have to be washed, staff member has to bring it to the customer, glass has to be collected from the table etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

Do not know which is more hilarious - the fact that OP paid €2 for a pint of Mi-Wadi, or the fact that some people on here are justifying the restaurant charging said price? :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

It is free. I've never been charged for tap water in this country, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

If you want to eat in someone else's restaurant, then you have to pay. full stop. If you dont want to pay, have your pints of Mi wadi at home.
    Businesses are not charities and when you consider the cost of staff, heat, cleaning rates etc etc, I think you were getting a good deal.
    What on earth do you expect.......

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

SeanSouth wrote: »
    If you want to eat in someone else's restaurant, then you have to pay. full stop. If you dont want to pay, have your pints of Mi wadi at home.
    Businesses are not charities and when you consider the cost of staff, heat, cleaning rates etc etc, I think you were getting a good deal.
    Dont feed him

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

It's just too much money for a pint of Miwadi......

It is seriously taking the p1ss............Especially as the op was eating there and spending good money. I'd be ashamed to treat my customers like that.

:(

Of course bills have to be paid but what about "repeat" business???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

This is extremely straight forward. Customers who feel robbed don't come back.

This is extremely straight forward. Customers who feel robbed don't come back.

Correct.

I know how hard it is to run a business with overheads today.

But first rule of business "it's easier to keep a customer than find a new one"

SO when a disproportionate amount is charged for something, you piss people off and lose repeat business, and

word of mouth will lose you even more.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Correct.

I know how hard it is to run a business with overheads today.

But first rule of business "it's easier to keep a customer than find a new one"

SO when a disproportionate amount is charged for something, you piss people off and lose repeat business, and

word of mouth will lose you even more.

If the owner had a bit of sense he would have trained the staff to say, by the way, you had a couple of pints of Midwadi, I'm only charging you for the splash, and got the goodwill out of it. As it is, the greed that's obvious here is what is killing the trade at the mo.....imo.......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What I'd expect is being informed on ordering mi wadi what it would cost so that I could choose to stick to tap water instead of being lulled into blatant overcharging

What I'd expect is being informed on ordering mi wadi what it would cost so that I could choose to stick to tap water instead of being lulled into blatant overcharging

More staff "identifying with customers" I suppose is the answer as opposed to just a bill slapped down on the table.........The till says this and that's the bottom line answer........That attitude drives potential customers away imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

collie0708 wrote: »

Its not a 2000% mark up.

A business has a cost. They will need to apply a charge to a product to cover their costs. In this case the charge was about 1.50 (41c of the €2 was vat and about 10-12c was the cost of the product.)

Maybe next time you go in they can serve it in a glass that hasn't been washed? - Or they turn off the heating for you and also refuse to allow you sit down and use seats and tables?

Maybe they should just point you to the tap and the cordial and tell you to make it yourself, but only if you brought you own glass in.

Maybe next time you buy bottled water tell Tesco that you are not paying for is as it was simply poured from a tap linked to an underground well and put into the bottle.

Such a stupid thread.

Advertisement