Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2 for pint of Mi-wadi

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I had a similar experience myself recently enough although it was e1.50 each. I now ask for a jug of tap water with a dash of cordial. Haven't had any issues doing this and I've only ever been charged as if it's one drink. In fact a fair amount of pubs don't charge at all for cordial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I had a similar experience myself recently enough although it was e1.50 each. I now ask for a jug of tap water with a dash of cordial. Haven't had any issues doing this and I've only ever been charged as if it's one drink.

Thats a good suggestion, but its unreasonable to expect any business to provide staff to fetch you four rounds of drink and expect it for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thats a good suggestion, but its unreasonable to expect any business to provide staff to fetch you four rounds of drink and expect it for free.

Yup, great if you have kids that don't finish their drinks!
    Wouldn't ever expect it for free, but it's a nice gesture if you're spending a few quid on other drinks/meal etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

sandin wrote: »
    Its not a 2000% mark up.

A business has a cost. They will need to apply a charge to a product to cover their costs. In this case the charge was about 1.50 (41c of the €2 was vat and about 10-12c was the cost of the product.)

Maybe next time you go in they can serve it in a glass that hasn't been washed? - Or they turn off the heating for you and also refuse to allow you sit down and use seats and tables?

Maybe they should just point you to the tap and the cordial and tell you to make it yourself, but only if you brought you own glass in.

Maybe next time you buy bottled water tell Tesco that you are not paying for is as it was simply poured from a tap linked to an underground well and put into the bottle.

Such a stupid thread.

This is a stupid post im afraid. There are costs of business that are not directly passed on to the consumer. For example, I'd wager the OP was provided with at the very least, salt and pepper for his meal on a complimentary basis. Why? The salt has to be sourced and purchased, the sellers have to be cleaned and refilled, by staff who have to be paid. So should the customer pay these costs? Or are they accepted costs of being in the catering business and factored in to the price of other goods? Why don't you open a restaurant and breakdown the costs incurred for every part of the service provided and charge accordingly. See how long said restaurant lasts.

I'm not suggesting cordial should be free at all, however it is fair to say that certain things are expected as complimentary in a lot of businesses and customers are not expected to pay for them directly. Maybe your dentist should charge you for the rinse after your treatment? Or the magazines in the lobby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That's an awful lot of mi-wadi to be drinking in one sitting! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Some people in this thread don't seem very cordial.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I used to work in a bar that tried to charge 50c for a pint of cordial, i used to be embarassed telling people i had to charge for it. About 2 weeks later it was free again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

The OP didn't expect the 4 drinks for free - (s)he even said that €1 per drink would have been acceptable. It was also stated that the OP spent approx €50 so no-one was looking for a free lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Maccers55

Its not a 2000% mark up.

A business has a cost. They will need to apply a charge to a product to cover their costs. In this case the charge was about 1.50 (41c of the €2 was vat and about 10-12c was the cost of the product.)

Maybe next time you go in they can serve it in a glass that hasn't been washed? - Or they turn off the heating for you and also refuse to allow you sit down and use seats and tables?

Maybe they should just point you to the tap and the cordial and tell you to make it yourself, but only if you brought you own glass in.

Maybe next time you buy bottled water tell Tesco that you are not paying for is as it was simply poured from a tap linked to an underground well and put into the bottle.

Such a stupid thread.

As I have said already I have no problem paying for a dash of cordial. I didn't and don't expect it to be free. However I believe charging 8 euro for 4 dashes of cordial is well over priced and would go so far as to say a rip-off.

For instance, two other people in our company had a pint of tap water which were free. So for the dash of cordial and the additional labour of pouring said dash it was 2 euro. That in my view is disproportionate and if I had known the cost would have just got a water.

The fact we were waiting quite a while for our food and the waitress asked did we want a refill which we were charged a further 2 euro just let a bit of a sour taste after having spent 50 euro on food.

The thread was as much an FYI for people as it was an opportunity to air my gripe. From the responses I have seen many people believe that this in indeed over priced and at least if they do choose to go to this establishment they are well aware of the price of a pint of mi-wadi before ordering it.

While in your opinion this may not be a rip-off and is a "stupid thread" if a few people believe it is a rip off (which it appears they do) and are thus better informed then this thread has served its purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

You are not paying for the miwadi on its own. You are paying for the staff, heat, rates, cordial and all the other expenses a business has to pay.
    And if the OP hadn't ordered the miwadi, then who would have paid for all these things?
    Why should someone bringing their family for a meal have to pay a massive premium for a drop of flavoured water?
    A bottle of orange squash costs about 2 euro per litre, not per dash. Was the customer not already paying a pretty good mark-up for their meal?
    tHe only way to stop this line of rip off is to stay away from the place, and make sure to tell as many people as possible the story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Its not a 2000% mark up.

Such a stupid thread.

Sandin,

Can you let me know who is charging 21% of the provision of tap water to customers and I'll report them to Revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Maccers55 wrote: »
    Was in the dropping well pub in milltown this evening for a bite to eat. We ordered 2 pints of mi-wadi orange and got 2 refills during our meal.

When we got the bill we saw an 8 euro charge for drinks. when i queried the charge with the waitress she said it was 2 euro per pint of mi-wadi which I thought was a bit ridiculous.

2 euro for what is essentially a dash of cordial seems like a bit of a rip-off. So just a heads up for anyone that might be in there in future. I won't make the same mistake again anyway!!

I'll be avoiding this place.
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Its not a 2000% mark up.

Such a stupid thread.

Bottled water is processed and isn't neat from the source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

This is about common practice and expectations.

In this country, it's expected that when you go for a meal, the headline food price will be high, to cover staff, rent, etc. That high price generally also covers tap water, cutlery, napkins, bread & butter (if it's that kind of restaurant), ketchup, use of toilet facilities, etc. Cordial shouldn't be assumed to be a freebie, but would be expected to be a fraction of the cost of a soft drink in the same establishment. Going out for a meal would be more trouble than it's worth if we had to enquire about the price of all these things to avoid a surprise on the bill.

Of course, they can charge whatever they want, implement the Ryanair charging model, etc etc. But they need to make it very clear. Otherwise they'll lose revenue units (previously known as customers).

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

What about it. The staff member still expects to be paid. The council still expect to be paid rates. The ESB expects to be paid for the lights. etc etc etc.

Or maybe you think that as its tap water it should be free?

Staff, ESB, taxes... everything will still have to be paid regardless whether the customers drink champagne or tap water. Or even don't drink at all. Surely, you wouldn't charge more customers on quiet days because you need the money to pay your staff? Said staff doesn't get paid more if the place is mad busy or less if it's dead quiet (leaving the tips aside).

A business owner who tries to recoup costs by overcharging their customers for very cheap stuff like squash is in need of some business classes. I will go back again and again to a place that charges me fair prices, and will spread the word. If they try to rip me off, that's my custom gone but also all the people I know. And the social media will make some serious damages to their reputation, if I post it on Facebook, that's all my friends who won't go near the place. And their friends. And the friends of their friends...

I would expect to pay 1 euro for a pint of squash at the most. And not be charged for refill if I'm paying 50€ for a meal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Its not a 2000% mark up.

Such a stupid thread.
    The thread isn't stupid at all! I'll put the question to you then: If you owned a restaurant, would you charge for a glass of tapwater?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

People say staying away is solving the problem. Yes the drinks are over priced but should the OP not be airing their gripe with the manager and not publicly stating it and risk more jobs and another business closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I'm amazed at the amount of gob****es on here defending the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What about it. The staff member still expects to be paid. The council still expect to be paid rates. The ESB expects to be paid for the lights. etc etc etc.

Or maybe you think that as its tap water it should be free?

I have never paid for tap water in an Irish Restaurant or bar, nor have I ever paid for Mi-Wadi in a restaurant, and we're talking about a jug or two of the stuff sometimes. Most paid in a bar was about 50c for a pint, some places paid nothing as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mulumpy wrote: »
    People say staying away is solving the problem. Yes the drinks are over priced but should the OP not be airing their gripe with the manager and not publicly stating it and risk more jobs and another business closing.

At €2 for pint of Mi-wadi they should have nice bit banked away to prevent against closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I was charge €3 for a pint of the stuff in a pub in maynooth about a year and a half ago. I nearly choked when he told me the price. Best course of action is to vote with your feet.
    Pay them their money and never visit their establishment again. I have not returned to said pub in maynooth since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

It is a complete rip off -

In The Bell pub in Blanchardstown they have many 2 liter jugs of various cordial flavors sitting at the end of the bar for free glasses of with your food

The kids keep running up every 5 mins for top ups - no problems

When your paying €10 for a plate of food I think its the least they can do.

There cost is less than €1 per bottle it makes 10+ liters and everyones happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

qwert2 wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the amount of gob****es on here defending the pub

Some people just love an argument. Like to play the devils advocate etc.

Ignore them as their position is indefensible typically.

I remember I used eat out regular in this one pub with my parents. One day Dad was extra hungry and asked for an extra spud. Some one came down and provided a "two small scoops" of mash. By small I mean small. An extra 70cent for each scoop was applied to final bill which was around 40 quid for the 3 main courses.

That 1.40 was the last cent they ever got off us and ever will to be honest.

All restaurants have bills to pay understandably. But there is no need to be petty. Short term gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

That pub deserves to be named. Some on here are actually away with the birds trying to justify charging 2 euro. As mentioned earlier, pay the bill with a smile and never return to the Kip again. A lot Business people dont actually understand that people appreciate the small things and when its obvious a business is out to rob you then you wont forget it.

A quick tip to anyone running a business ..... Customers are the base of your business so dont forget it

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

john_cappa wrote: »
    Some people just love an argument. Like to play the devils advocate etc.

Ignore them as their position is indefensible typically.

I remember I used eat out regular in this one pub with my parents. One day Dad was extra hungry and asked for an extra spud. Some one came down and provided a "two small scoops" of mash. By small I mean small. An extra 70cent for each scoop was applied to final bill which was around 40 quid for the 3 main courses.

That 1.40 was the last cent they ever got off us and ever will to be honest.

All restaurants have bills to pay understandably. But there is no need to be petty. Short term gain.

Exactly, like i said in my comment above, its the smallest things you will remember. In the short term they gained 1.40 but long term they have lost you for life. Its simple business to take care of the customer and to ask for a fair price for goods but dont try to take the p*ss as people can see through it quite quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Sandin,

Can you let me know who is charging 21% of the provision of tap water to customers and I'll report them to Revenue?

What a nonsense of a post. Learn how vat is applied before making stupid statements. Actual vat on 2.00 sale is 37.6 cent assuming 23% rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I must say that I have never, anywhere in this country or anywhere else, been charged for either tap-water nor cordial.

Is it a possibility the staff were pulling a fast one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Everyone seems to be pointing out that tap water is always free. That's because it's illegal to serve food or drink and not have free tap water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Personally, I don't think that anyone who believes it's appropriate to charge €2 to customers for cordial really deserves to stay in business....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

But the cordial was being drunk as a substitute to a soft drink - if it was free the premises would simply put some other product up in price. And 50 quid for a lunch for 4 in an awsrd winning bar in dublin 6 is rather good value.

Or would the op feel better if the food simply cost an extra euro or two per person with free cordial. I learnt a long time ago, nothing is free.

Advertisement