Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2 for pint of Mi-wadi

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

rubadub wrote: »
    You won't find it, there is none. It is law in the UK only in licensed premises, there is no law here, just old wives & taximan tales, or in your case "bloke in a nightclub". Your claim was any place serving food too, this is not law in the UK, most places like McDonalds, KFC, burger king etc will not give free water so I am not sure how that myth even came about.

OK then, if you owned a pub and restaurant, would you charge people for a glass of water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Or maybe next time you don't go in and give your money to a business that isn't ripping you off. There are plenty of good pubs and restaurants out there now that are giving good value for money, support them and avoid the likes of the Dropping Well.

at €50 for a lunch for 4 as the OP said, the Dropping Well gives superb value for money - hence its packed most lunch times and evenings even in these recession times. It gives great value - or maybe the OP would like them to sneakily add in the cost of other items and present them as "Free" to give the op a good feeling? - Not for me thank you.
    kopfan77 wrote: »
    Get a grip buddy....big difference between getting nothing for nothing and paying €8 for some cordial. Anyone who comes on here and has the neck to defend this needs a serious reality check. Yes, people are in business to make money. But businesses run on margins and Im sorry but the margins being discussed in this instance are nothing short of scandoulous. PROPORTIONALITY is the key word and €8 for what amounts to Im guessing less than a quarter a bottle of cordial is not proportional!!
    €8 for 4 clean glasses (unlike the UK, you get fresh glasses here everytime) + served 4 times + contribution to providing good service, atmosphere, heating etc.
    mikom wrote: »
    This thread is the first result on Google for... dropping well pub charge and 5th for dropping well pub cost.
    Good press or bad press?
    Can't see the bad press - pub is charging for something the OP ordered. Nothing in life is free. €50 for 4 lunches is great value.
    Yes you can - in other countries they recognize that the bottomless coffee cup and free soda refills leads to higher food sales.
    Nope - free refills lead to seat hoggers. Fine for mid afternoons and mid mornings, But for lunch and dinner I've yet to see a restaurant offer limitless coffee either here or on the continent (I travel to France and Germany quite a bit on business and would always lunch out)
    Wow what a lot of debate for a small issue.
    I've worked in many pubs. Mi-wadi or similar in every pub I worked in came free from the suppliers - not bought from Tesco.

If people are eating or drinking with paying customers there is no justification at all for charging them anything for it.

If on the other hand a person/people are sitting in the pub watching a match etc and only order mi-wadi then a charge of €1 is acceptable, no more - even if your pub is located in temple bar. So yes the dropping well can be classified as a rip off this time round.

Discussion closed??

NOTHING is FREE - nada, nothing. If its included, its part of a package. Friends of mine used to run pubs and never got free cordial / miwadi or even free water.
    Return to the pub and bring your own bottle of mi wadi.

Order the exact same meals and a few pints of water.

Will never be allowed as the pub is responsible for product consumed there - that's why restaurants won't allow you bring in a birthday cake (some will allow it, but you must serve it yourself). The pub's business is SELLING food & drink. That's where their income comes from. The business is not selling salt cellars or napkins as someone else said it should be - these are part of the cost of your meal, the same way as the cost of buying glasses, glass washing & service is part of the costs in serving a drink.

BTW - To give an ideal of water charges, last week I paid my 3 month water charges for a small outlet in dunlaoghaire. Only water we use is for staff toilet and staffroom sink for 5 staff at that location.

Water bill = 159.00 for 3 months made up of 79.50 for water and 79.50 for waste water.

A café in the same area will have a water bill of at least 10k, whilst I don't know what the dropping well would pay, a safe guess would be a MINIMUM of €20,000 per year.
    WATER IS NOT FREE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

sandin wrote: »
    BTW - To give an ideal of water charges, last week I paid my 3 month water charges for a small outlet in dunlaoghaire. Only water we use is for staff toilet and staffroom sink for 5 staff at that location.

Water bill = 159.00 for 3 months made up of 79.50 for water and 79.50 for waste water.

A café in the same area will have a water bill of at least 10k, whilst I don't know what the dropping well would pay, a safe guess would be a MINIMUM of €20,000 per year.
    WATER IS NOT FREE

You are correct here, water is not free for businesses. But if you owned a restaurant or pub, would you charge your customers for a glass of tap water? Or to wash their hands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

€8 is a ridiculous mark up and that can't be argued!
    :confused: It can be argued, I already made several comparisons and showed how other things have higher profits.
    The OP did not have 2 pints of soft drinks for €4??? He had 2 pints of water with some cordial...big difference!!
    :eek: well apparently there really is just no arguing with YOU. FFS you don't even know what the difference between soft & hard drinks is! :rolleyes:

I have still had no response to my question about how people would feel it had been a drink prediluted with tap water at a factory, e.g. like coca-cola oasis drinks, which are basically diluted cordial.

Can you explain the BIG difference?

Mi-wadi or similar in every pub I worked in came free from the suppliers - not bought from Tesco.

If people are eating or drinking with paying customers there is no justification at all for charging them anything for it.
    If you have to hand money over to get something then its not free. Good luck trying to walk in and get it free from suppliers without any other purchase. If they got "free" coke or a free keg do you think they are obliged to give that out free?

There are no volunteer postmen either, incase you were under that impression when you got "free" postage.

Cienciano wrote: »
    OK then, if you owned a pub and restaurant, would you charge people for a glass of water?
    No I wouldn't. Most just deny the supply of tap water rather than charge for it, there is a company in the US selling bottled NY tap water.

As I said its a tradition here, people expect it. Unfortunately many people are ignorant ungrateful cunts who show absolutely no appreciation for this gratuity. It becomes so expected that myths come about that its their actual legal right to get it. Maybe some who think its law (many do) actually do appreciate it and are thinking "it must be law otherwise why would they do it"

This whole thing can be turned on its head. I & others have demonstrated that most drinks in pubs have very high markups applied, or you can think of it as a minimum surcharge rather than a percentage, so...
    Oryx wrote: »
    But why, in the same place, served in the same glasses, by the same staff, with the same music, whilst sitting on the same chair, is the same water minus a dash of orange, FREE?DO SOME CHEEKY GITS EXPECT TO GET IT FREE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

rubadub wrote: »

No I wouldn't. Most just deny the supply of tap water rather than charge for it, there is a company in the US selling bottled NY tap water.

As I said its a tradition here, people expect it. Unfortunately many people are ignorant ungrateful cunts who show absolutely no appreciation for this gratuity. It becomes so expected that myths come about that its their actual legal right to get it. Maybe some who think its law (many do) actually do appreciate it and are thinking "it must be law otherwise why would they do it"

This whole thing can be turned on its head. I & others have demonstrated that most drinks in pubs have very high markups applied, or you can think of it as a minimum surcharge rather than a percentage, so...
    It's also a tradition to give cordial for free. And as someone mentioned, cordials are given to pubs at no cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's also a tradition to give cordial for free.
    I have never got one free in my life, nor seen anybody in my group get one when ordering, I have never come across people thinking it was law either which is how deeply ingrained the "free water" tradition is, its the free water thing people cannot get over. And this is getting large rounds in and/or food and also in our local where they know we are among there biggest spending customers. Obviously it does happen as others here report it, but as I said, many seem completely unappreciative of these gratuities.
    cordials are given to pubs at no cost.
    This misnomer was already covered by sandin & myself -and I asked questions that I doubt people will reply to, as per usual, since it will show up their irrational double standard.

I also very much doubt every cordial in pubs in the country was included along with a purchase (it most certainly was not free).

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

It's also a tradition to give cordial for free. And as someone mentioned, cordials are given to pubs at no cost.

Cordials are not free. I spend anything from 70 - 150 a week in cordial. I have told my staff that they need to start charging for it but to use it at their discretion. Don't charge a regular who is in there 5 nights a week, but someone who comes in for matches etc and sits for hours has to be charged 50 cent per glass.

As for the 407,000% markup, people have no problem paying 2 euro for coffee at that markup. I understand more than most the overheads involved, but I still think 2 euro is too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nanazolie wrote: »
    True and not true. I'm from the Continent, and while toilets are charged in pubs and cafés in larger towns, they are not in restaurants. The only reason is to stop the people from the street coming into the café, using the toilets and not paying for any drink or meal either. But in smaller towns, you can still go in, ask nicely (or at a push get a coffee for a euro) and use the loo for free

And to be honest, toilets are usually much cleaner in Ireland. But may be that's only for the ladies :P

How can something be true and not true :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Normal meaning when someone over here sees 50cent charge for the toilet they don't shout rip off and lose the head ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

clio_16v wrote: »
    Cordials are not free. I spend anything from 70 - 150 a week in cordial. I have told my staff that they need to start charging for it but to use it at their discretion. Don't charge a regular who is in there 5 nights a week, but someone who comes in for matches etc and sits for hours has to be charged 50 cent per glass.

As for the 407,000% markup, people have no problem paying 2 euro for coffee at that markup. I understand more than most the overheads involved, but I still think 2 euro is too much

A very sensible approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement