Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencelife on Decking

Options
  • 24-02-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all, has anyone used Ron*eal Fencelife on their decks as opposed to using Decking Oil/Stain. We have quite a large deck and if we don't treat it this year it is going to end up in bits but the Decking Oil/Stains are ridiculously expensive for the amount that we would need. A friend suggested using Fencelife instead but I'm afraid of making a bad job worse if we use this. I know it probably wont last as long as using the proper oil/stain but if it got us another year I would be happy enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Lidl are selling fence & garden varnish 5 litre for €9.99. 2 year guarantee.:D
    Would work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I wouldn't recommend fencelife for decking at all. Its almost like water when applied and easily washes off with wear/weather in a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I agree with John. It would be a false economy. It's not designed for the wear and tear a decking gets and would need to be redone in half the time. Thought about using it myself before and ended up buying the proper stain. Even with that it has to be done every year.

Edit: I see Lidl are selling a Wood and Garden Varnish from Thursday. I don't know what it's like but it's cheap and might make it more economical to do the job a couple of times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sinkadinka

Thanks folks for replies. Yea, think we will just have to put few euros into getting it done properly with the decking oil. Its just so blinkin expensive and doesnt go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

If u spent €50 you would get a 5 ltr good brand decking oil which would give u a coverage of 5m2 per litre. This would last u at least five years and make the deck look excellent. Dont use the fencelife,its water based and looks terrible after only few showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Fredinthebed

I have a 76sq metre deck, used to cost me over €200 a year in decking oil. Got fed up with that so tried a few different ideas and here's what I do now, mix a litre of teak oil into the large 9 litre fencelife bucket. It appears to curdle after first adding but keep stirring for a minute or two and it blends perfectly. I find this mixture lasts just as long as the decking oil and costs 1/10th the cost! The deck still needs to be done every year regardless of what I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

In fairness to fredinhished, it was worth waiting for. Great advice and well timed for the bank hol weekend. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Fence life even on the fence is poor, if anything rubs against it it comes off.. although im yet to find anything better... stick to oil for decking imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 killacat

Have 80sqm deck, oil a ridiculous price so gonna try the teak oil fence life combo suggested by fredinthebed. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamdunne81

killacat wrote: »
    Have 80sqm deck, oil a ridiculous price so gonna try the teak oil fence life combo suggested by fredinthebed. Fingers crossed!

Be careful you might spend more money in the long run! I wouldn't recommend mixing waterbased fence life and an oil based teak. It shouldn't mix. I know its expensive but you should stick with oil based for decking

• Advertisement
Advertisement