Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idiots guide to selling an iphone 4 and 5 ;)

• 24-02-2013 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

So this is the story. I upgraded to the iphone 5 two weeks ago with the 3 network (another two year contract). I still have my iphone 4 and its still in top condition. Now, thanks to the Bargain Alerts forum, I'm after buying the Samsung Galaxy Beam (PAYG locked to Vodafone)

Of the three phones I may consider holding onto the Beam (the battery life on the iphone 5 is really bugging me and I love the projector on the android device)

So how can I sell the iphone 5 and 4 and keep the Beam?

Is it a case of getting all three phones unlocked and moving the beam over to my three mobile contract?

Sorry about the ignornat question but how does one go about getting the phones unlocked? Will personal pics/vids etc be removed after unlocking? Finally what kind of money can I expect for an iphone 4 and 5?

Sorry about all the questions, and mods, please move if not in correct forum

Cheers

Dutchy

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Dutchy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

So this is the story. I upgraded to the iphone 5 two weeks ago with the 3 network (another two year contract). I still have my iphone 4 and its still in top condition. Now, thanks to the Bargain Alerts forum, I'm after buying the Samsung Galaxy Beam (PAYG locked to Vodafone)

Of the three phones I may consider holding onto the Beam (the battery life on the iphone 5 is really bugging me and I love the projector on the android device)

Is it a case of gettinh all three phones unlocked and moving the beam over to my three mobile contract?

Sorry about the ignornat question but how does one go about getting the phones unlocked? Will personal pics/vids etc be removed after unlocking? Finally what kind of money can I expect for an iphone 4 and 5?

Cheers

Dutchy

Few Options.

1. Sell as is.

Put the 4 and 5 up for sale locked to 3.

2. request unlocks

Request the unlock codes from 3. afaik 3 wont give you the unlock code for the 5, but should for the iphone 4. (as your out of contract)

you'll be able to get more money for an unlocked Iphone then a locked one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Hi folks,

Is it a case of getting all three phones unlocked and moving the beam over to my three mobile contract?

Cheers

Dutchy

If your out of contract on the iPhone 4 simply call up and have them unlock it for you. Regarding the iPhone 5, I think you have to either finish out your new two year contract or maybe Three have a shorter period before they'll unlock it but it might be some time before you can get an official carrier unlock for it.

AFAIK with ready to go locked phones you need to top up by a certain amount of credit before your eligible for an unlock.

For selling both iPhones your better off just selling them as a carrier locked phone. Some people will be happy to use it on one network only, although it reduces the buyers market for you. A lot of people go for carrier unlocked iPhones.

Not sure what you should do about the Beam. Maybe contact Vodafone or search on Google for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

iPhone 5's sell for about fifty euro which I will offer you for it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Few Options.

1. Sell as is.

Put the 4 and 5 up for sale locked to 3.

2. request unlocks

Request the unlock codes from 3. afaik 3 wont give you the unlock code for the 5, but should for the iphone 4. (as your out of contract)

you'll be able to get more money for an unlocked Iphone then a locked one

Thanks for the prompt response!

Yeah, I think 3 will give me the unlock code for the iphone 4. Do you take out the SIM/delete all personal stuff when selling (bit of a technophobe you see!)

Cheers

Dutchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Thanks for the prompt response!

Yeah, I think 3 will give me the unlock code for the iphone 4. Do you take out the SIM/delete all personal stuff when selling (bit of a technophobe you see!)

Cheers

Dutchy

Connect iPhone 4 to iTunes and make sure you keep all files and important data.

Then restore a fresh copy of iOS onto it to wipe all your data off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Be aware, if you sell the iPhone 5, Three will only deal with you to unlock it when the contract term is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Dutchy

whiterebel wrote: »
    Be aware, if you sell the iPhone 5, Three will only deal with you to unlock it when the contract term is up.

More of an issue for the person that buys the phone? Provided i inform them of this all should be fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

More of an issue for the person that buys the phone? Provided i inform them of this all should be fine?

Dunno - but wont you still have to be paying the monthly charges to pay off the IPhone5 for the next two years??

You should talk to them and ask how to get out of the contract, Before you sell all the phones - as you only have it two weeks - there might be a cooling off period when you can return it - Apple directly are pretty good to deal with but I dont know about Vodafone.

These phone are really expensive to hand out (about 600 euros each) and I guess Vodafone etc may be wanting their money back somehow.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement