Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domino in Holles Street

• 25-02-2013 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hey,
    I've had a search through old threads and didnt find an answer to my (possibly neurotic) questions!
    so, on friday i was told that i've been put on the domino scheme. its early days yet as im only 9wks 5 days at the moment but the lady on the phone was telling me that id be given a new appointment in about 2 weeks where they would only listen for the heartbeat (bit disappointing i was hoping to see a scan!) and take a blood sample. now this is going to sound ridiculous but when they take a blood sample is it from your arm...similar to when ppl donate blood?? im not afraid of needles as such just afraid of being injected that particular spot...it makes me bend my elbows just thinking about it!

the other thing i wanted to ask was about induction. how many days are you allowed to go over your due date before they start talking about induction ? id rather not be given any gels or have my waters broken....seems kinda barbaric to me to be honest.:eek:

one more question (for today!) did anybody have a lotus birth and/or placenta encapsulation in Holles Street? I'd rather deliver the placenta without intervention but im wondering can it be done while you're breastfeeding the baby etc or do they take baby away while you deliver it? also if you do bring the placenta home for the cord to fall off naturally..say this takes 36hours or whatever...can you still encapsulate the placenta for consumption?

thanks for reading:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

clare82 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I've had a search through old threads and didnt find an answer to my (possibly neurotic) questions!
    so, on friday i was told that i've been put on the domino scheme. its early days yet as im only 9wks 5 days at the moment but the lady on the phone was telling me that id be given a new appointment in about 2 weeks where they would only listen for the heartbeat (bit disappointing i was hoping to see a scan!) and take a blood sample. now this is going to sound ridiculous but when they take a blood sample is it from your arm...similar to when ppl donate blood?? im not afraid of needles as such just afraid of being injected that particular spot...it makes me bend my elbows just thinking about it!

They took mine from my arm, but I'm sure thay will do whatever suits. It didn't hurt!
    the other thing i wanted to ask was about induction. how many days are you allowed to go over your due date before they start talking about induction ? id rather not be given any gels or have my waters broken....seems kinda barbaric to me to be honest.:eek:

The Domino midwives are very slow to intervene.
    one more question (for today!) did anybody have a lotus birth and/or placenta encapsulation in Holles Street? I'd rather deliver the placenta without intervention but im wondering can it be done while you're breastfeeding the baby etc or do they take baby away while you deliver it? also if you do bring the placenta home for the cord to fall off naturally..say this takes 36hours or whatever...can you still encapsulate the placenta for consumption?

thanks for reading:D

I don't know about your other questions, but I'm sure you can wait while you deliver the placenta naturally. Again, the midwives are very good at responding to what you want. And I can't see why they would take the baby away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

:D thanks very much for getting back to me. it turns out that someone from Holles Street called me today and was able to answer my questions.
    I'm having my blood tests in 2 weeks and yup its going to be from the arm...well i've 2 weeks to psych myself up for that one!
    I found out that they don't do lotus births which i was kind of expecting but said they won't cut the cord until it has stopped pulsating which i will be happy enough with.:)

Advertisement