Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions from an Exchange Student

Options
  • 25-02-2013 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone, this is my first time here so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.
    I'm a 20 years old guy going to Dublin as a exchange student next month. It'll be my first time abroad so you can imagine how confused/worried I am.
    The school recently sent me the information about my placement: I’m going to live in Finglas West.
    I’ve read a lot of things about Finglas and, I know people always exaggerate, but I’m a little bit scared since it appears to be the worst (and most dangerous) neighborhood in Dublin.
    What can you tell me about it? Is it REALLY dangerous? What are the chances of getting stabbed/mugged by those guys called "knackers"? Advices are appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

If you see someone in tracksuits, anywhere throughout Ireland, play it safe, and just avoid them.
    A lot of people in tracksuits are nice, and few would start something without real cause, but why risk it?
    Ask for Finglas itself, not to educated on that, someone else can inform you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Santi20 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, this is my first time here so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.
    I'm a 20 years old guy going to Dublin as a exchange student next month. It'll be my first time abroad so you can imagine how confused/worried I am.
    The school recently sent me the information about my placement: I’m going to live in Finglas West.
    I’ve read a lot of things about Finglas and, I know people always exaggerate, but I’m a little bit scared since it appears to be the worst (and most dangerous) neighborhood in Dublin.
    What can you tell me about it? Is it REALLY dangerous? What are the chances of getting stabbed/mugged by those guys called "knackers"? Advices are appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Finglas West like most of Dublin you need to keep your eyes open at all times. Keep expensive belongings (iPod, etc...) in your pockets to avoid any problems and just ignore people if anything is said.

People who generally say places are full of "knackers" are generally people who have never set foot in the area and are just basing it on what they've heard on the grape vine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll probably be living with a family if you are on an exchange. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steffifandler

Well Finglas wouldnt be regarded as one of the safest areas to be honest - but as said above if youre staying with a family and not roaming the streets at all hours youll be fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Santi20

Thanks for your replies :-)
    I think I'll be okay...I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

your family looking after you will be put you wise to your surroundings and the rest is really common sense ie dont have valuables on show, on your own at night etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Finglas West is fine - it's the nicer end of it. Near enough to town and near to buses

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Jaysus I'd try get another host family if I was you.

In Finglas, yer doomed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Finglas is fine OP, don't get too hung up on what you hear, I've seen bigger scumbags from supposedly nicer areas of the city

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Hamiltonion - If you have nothing constructive to offer - don't bother posting.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Santi20

Jaysus I'd try get another host family if I was you.

Unfortunately, I can't.

--

Since I'll have to take the Dublin Bus from Finglas to the City centre everyday to get to the school. What can you tell me about it? I was told to never sit upstairs on a dublin bus. Why? :O

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Santi20 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I can't.

--

Since I'll have to take the Dublin Bus from Finglas to the City centre everyday to get to the school. What can you tell me about it? I was told to never sit upstairs on a dublin bus. Why? :O

i have lived in Finglas for the last 8 years, and it is perfectly safe. you will have no problems.

in relation to the bus, there is no problem sitting upstairs on the finglas. in fact, i would rather sit upstairs, no screaming kids or smelly OAPs.

the people who told you to go somewhere else have never set foot in Finglas.

Advertisement