Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold house and Massive Electricity bills!

Options
  • 25-02-2013 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey All,

So I'm in a 12 month Fixed term tenancy agreement which is up in Oct. The house has Electric storage heating and a small fire. Its cold all the time and my last 2 electricity bills were €288 and €327. I check my agreement and turns out the Building energy rating is E2. Is there anything I can do or am I doomed to stick this out due to my foolishness?

Thanks,
    Phobious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I wouldnt say that those are overly massive electric bills if you are using a storage heater tbh. They are very expensive to run; the one winter we tried using ours I think our biggest bill was nearly €350 (two bed apartment) and the smallest was over €250.

If you want to get out of the lease then your best option is to look to reassign the remainder (have a search on this forum; its been covered numerous times). You might not find this all that easy with a BER rating so low though!

Have you examined the property to see if there is anything obvious that is causing the problem? Adequate insulation in the attic, windows up to scratch, decent curtains etc. You might find that there is a relatively simple fix that you can get onto the landlord about that might make the place more habitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

I don't think thats too bad to be honest, It's only about €150 per month as the bill is for 2 months periods.

Also that is your only utility bill as no gas or oil on top of that.

My average elec. bill is around €200 & gas another €200 every 2 months.

Last bill was €240 elec. & €260 gas heating and i try and turn off lights plug everything out etc.

So your doing ok id suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

on the bright side, we are now coming out of the time where you will need to use heating and if you out in october, if its early october you will probably just about get away without having to use heating...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As others have stated, your not to bad. During winter our gas and elec are 200 each per 2 month period.
    Hopefully we'll have new windows, insulation and a stove for next winter

Advertisement