Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specfic Guitar Question(ear training)

Options
  • 25-02-2013 2:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭

Can anyone think of a good example of the following chord movement in a song. A minor chord ascending a tone to a major chord. I thought it sounded quite nice. This movement never actually occurs in any key. I would hear it in a song as this would help me become more familiar with the sound of it, and I would therefore recognize it at a later stage.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

LasTime wrote: »
    Can anyone think of a good example of the following chord movement in a song. A minor chord ascending a tone to a major chord. I thought it sounded quite nice. This movement never actually occurs in any key. I would hear it in a song as this would help me become more familiar with the sound of it, and I would therefore recognize it at a later stage.

the cure - boys don't cry : a bm c#m d

the movement does occur between the 3rd and 4th of every key

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

the cure - boys don't cry : a bm c#m d

the movement does occur between the 3rd and 4th of every key

That's a semitone.

Fwiw, it does happen in harmonic & melodic minor keys OP.
    Plenty of songs would include it as iv-V.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭oddman2

Hi Op, I know of this off the top of my head, about a minute in at "maybe I" it goes Dm-E.

Here's an acoustic version to hear it clearer (about 1:11)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Sinfonia wrote: »
    That's a semitone.

I know. The movement he mentioned occurs in 'Under the Bridge' too. That cure song is good for chords in general though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

oddman2 wrote: »
    Hi Op, I know of this off the top of my head, about a minute in at "maybe I" it goes Dm-E.

Here's an acoustic version to hear it clearer (about 1:11)

Thanks oddman.. that should help my ear somewhat. It's a long road though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement