Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost of letting a property - taxes etc

Options
  • 25-02-2013 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

If I wanted to leave the country for a while and let out our property, aside from EA fees, what other costs are involved?

Govt tax - how much?
    Anything else?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This question has been asked and answered several times on this forum. Please do a search and you'll find many relevant threads. Nobody can give you a tailored answer because everyone's tax liabilities etc. are different. You'll have to do a few sums on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dont forget, since you'll be non resident, that the TENANT must deduct and pay the tax to the government. Look into this and be sure that the tenant is aware of this, because the current knowledge of this important rule is mind bogglingly low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Dont forget, since you'll be non resident, that the TENANT must deduct and pay the tax to the government. Look into this and be sure that the tenant is aware of this, because the current knowledge of this important rule is mind bogglingly low.

Not necessarily, the non-resident landlord can appoint a resident collection agent to receive the rents gross and account for the tax due.

OP - The Revenue guide IT70 explains the mechanics of renting very well, other sites such as this forum on boards, irishlandlord and askaboutmoney are useful for (lively debates on) the detail around allowable deductions etc. I assume by EA fees you mean letting agent charges?

My only piece of advice, although this obviously depends on your particular property and location, would be to rent unfurnished. I just think you get better tenants that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Not necessarily, the non-resident landlord can appoint a resident collection agent to receive the rents gross and account for the tax due.

OP - The Revenue guide IT70 explains the mechanics of renting very well, other sites such as this forum on boards, irishlandlord and askaboutmoney are useful for (lively debates on) the detail around allowable deductions etc. I assume by EA fees you mean letting agent charges?

My only piece of advice, although this obviously depends on your particular property and location, would be to rent unfurnished. I just think you get better tenants that way.

Good tip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement