Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving from New York to LA in September, any suggestions on what to see, where to go

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Really? There's no harm in ringing them so. I've just been pricing them on line. I'll look into that. Thanks!

here is one that is base in Canada http://www.torontodriveaway.com/driver_info.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Maybe things have changed, but when we did our trip in 2010 it was not overly expensive to hire in LA and drop car off in Philly.
    Perhaps $100 more expensive than normal.
    Driving long journeys like this is not unknown and you will see cars in the car hire parking lot with far away state plates. So do look around some more!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Maybe things have changed, but when we did our trip in 2010 it was not overly expensive to hire in LA and drop car off in Philly.
    Perhaps $100 more expensive than normal.
    Driving long journeys like this is not unknown and you will see cars in the car hire parking lot with far away state plates. So do look around some more!

Agreed. I've dropped off cars in different states and you just budget in the charge. Unfortunate but I can see why they have to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Get tickets for Jerry Springer. He does his show in Stamford, CT. Pure cringe but deffo worth it for the laugh and if you're seated in the middle you can see yourself when the show airs on TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Just to echo what everyone else has said that is an awful long way there and back! Don't forget to factor in the price of fuel too, you're looking at at least 500 dollars one way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

...although...

If you did do it you'd have to do a "circuit"; so maybe go west on the northern route to Seattle, down the coast and east through the south, then up the east coast.

I'd give it two months. And if you picked the time of year you could avoid the oppressive heat of the south in the summer and the cold of the north in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Kinda obvious in this day and age - but last trip to the states i brought a gps and it was great being able go off the main track looking for old ghost towns etc(death valley) and to be sure you can find civilisation again :)
    Just be sure its a real one not a phone or something that needs gps internet to search - wont always have that...
    I got a cheap pre-pay sims for our unlocked phones also rather than pay high roaming data charges....

“Roll it back”

Advertisement