Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implied Status?

Options
  • 25-02-2013 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all; I was wondering if you are currently in Canada on an IEC visa and it is coming to an end fairly soon and you have submitted your application for this years visa to CIC, does this application grant you implied status if your current work permit expires in the mean time?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The IEC visa is not a work permit, and if i remember correctly, implied status is only given when applying for a work permit, not a holiday visa. Therefore, if you are on one IEC visa & applying for another, you will not have implied status in the time in between the first one expiring and receiving the new one.

I think this question popped up a few months ago, and the above was the response. Anyone else, please correct me if im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Relativity is correct you will not get implied status between IECs
    If you want to legally remain in Canada while waiting you can apply online for a visitor permit

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jazzmonroe

retalivity wrote: »
    The IEC visa is not a work permit, and if i remember correctly, implied status is only given when applying for a work permit, not a holiday visa. Therefore, if you are on one IEC visa & applying for another, you will not have implied status in the time in between the first one expiring and receiving the new one.

I think this question popped up a few months ago, and the above was the response. Anyone else, please correct me if im wrong

Thanks for the answer. Does anyone have an official source for this? The IEC visa is referred to as an open work permit, and you’re issued a work permit upon entering the country, so seeing as you’re essentially applying for a new work permit via IEC it’s bizarre that you don’t get the same implied status as people with non-IEC work permits.

Is it because what IEC issues is primarily a holiday permit or something?

For the official take on it call the CIC help desk

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp

Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100

Automated telephone service (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
    If you have a touch-tone telephone, you can listen to prerecorded information about CIC programs, order application kits, and check the status of your application.
    Call Centre agents - Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.
    You must choose one of the first five recorded options before you can speak to an agent.

For the official take on it call the CIC help desk

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp

Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100

Automated telephone service (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
    If you have a touch-tone telephone, you can listen to prerecorded information about CIC programs, order application kits, and check the status of your application.
    Call Centre agents - Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.
    You must choose one of the first five recorded options before you can speak to an agent.

Cool - is that what you did? Did you get any explanation re why an IEC open work permit is not considered a work permit? Last time I tried to call there was a labyrinth of ambiguous info and minimum half hour wait for an agent :(

• Advertisement

jazzmonroe wrote: »
    Cool - is that what you did? Did you get any explanation re why an IEC open work permit is not considered a work permit? Last time I tried to call there was a labyrinth of ambiguous info and minimum half hour wait for an agent :(

I went a different route but I have known other people that inquired about IEC and implied status, Its a grey area at best but worth asking if anything has changed recently
    Best bet is to keep hitting 0 on the keypad to get straight to a human queue - this is what I did when I needed to call them
    I have also heard of people pressing the option for french which has shorter queues

I went a different route but I have known other people that inquired about IEC and implied status, Its a grey area at best but worth asking if anything has changed recently
    Best bet is to keep hitting 0 on the keypad to get straight to a human queue - this is what I did when I needed to call them
    I have also heard of people pressing the option for french which has shorter queues

Okay, thanks for your help. I recall simply sitting the options out, hitting nothing (ie. as if baffled by entire concept of hitting numbers that correspond to requirements) and after a short while being transferred to the queue for human interaction. So that might be a viable route. On that occasion I hung up and tried again ten minutes later, but by that point the human queue was full and the call was cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ondadole

If you want to legally remain in Canada while waiting you can apply online for a visitor permit

Yea apply for a visitor visa...Don't they say that one should apply with at least 30 days remaining on their status? What if you have less than 30 days remaining on the IEC? I know for a fact that you can still apply, but would this still count and give you status?

Anyone ever cross over to the states to wait for their new IEC, by car or by bus, in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PureFiji

ondadole wrote: »
    Yea apply for a visitor visa...Don't they say that one should apply with at least 30 days remaining on their status? What if you have less than 30 days remaining on the IEC? I know for a fact that you can still apply, but would this still count and give you status?

Anyone ever cross over to the states to wait for their new IEC, by car or by bus, in this situation?

As far as I know, you can apply even after the 30 days. Its just a number for orientation. I did the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 doconne

I'm in the same situation as ondadole my IEC expires in less than 3 weeks and I'm waiting on my second IEC to come through. I'm looking into applying for the tourist visa - have you done this yourself?

One question I need to clarify is when you apply for tourist visa does your status change to tourist upon expiry of your current visa or does it change as soon as the tourist visa app is submitted?

Any help appreciated!!

• Advertisement

Your status changes on expiry of your work permit

Advertisement