Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Data/Analogue mystery...

• 25-02-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,

I recently got 50MB interwebs from UPC.

I was under the impression that if I hooked up a splitter to the end of the data cable, coming from the UPC wall box - and plugged one splitter port into the router/modem, and the other into the telly that I'd at least get the 15 or so analogue channels.

The internet works perfectly. However, even though the telly pics up the channels the picture quality is extremely bad. The sound is perfect, but the pictures are snowy and washed out.

So... can any of you help me out with where the problem might lie? what do I replace first? The splitter or the splitter-to-tv cable? Or could it jsut be crap UPC?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The official splitter that UPC installs (if you're paying for TV and Broadband) has filters in it so I suspect what's happening in your case is that your TV is getting too much spectrum and it's fcuking up the analog signal. The filter on the UPC splitter probably makes sure that only a limited amount of VHF and UHF spectrum goes to the TV or digital (TV) decoder. Most of the analog TV channels are VHF but there's a few on UHF frequencies.

Your post implies that you're only paying for broadband so I guess you don't have the right filter in which case you have no cause to complain to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cradlegrave

Cheers for that. Yeah I'm not looking to complain - friends of mine only have broadband but do however get a clear signal on the analogue tv stations. So I was just wondering what the issue could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

coylemj wrote: »
    The official splitter that UPC installs (if you're paying for TV and Broadband) has filters in it so I suspect what's happening in your case is that your TV is getting too much spectrum and it's fcuking up the analog signal. The filter on the UPC splitter probably makes sure that only a limited amount of VHF and UHF spectrum goes to the TV or digital (TV) decoder. Most of the analog TV channels are VHF but there's a few on UHF frequencies.

Your post implies that you're only paying for broadband so I guess you don't have the right filter in which case you have no cause to complain to anyone.

Sorry to kind of hijack the thread but while you are on the topic - I have full UPC package - TV, broadband, phone. If I cancel the TV and phone package but keep the broadband - can I still view the free to air channels via the DVR box or direct from the splitter box? Does the DVR cease to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

You won't be able to view anything on the UPC DVR box if you cancel TV services,and UPC will take the box back off you.You can pick up the 15 or so analogue stations if you plug the white co-ax UPC cable that is currently going into the back of your DVR into your TV's aerial socket.

Try it and see what the picture is like now,the only thing is that if there is a problem with the picture quality in the future you can't complain to UPC about it as you aren't paying them for TV services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ciaran_2

F.Y.I.
    If you keep broadband only, UPC will charge €10 'downgrade fee' (once off) and 'Fibre Power Broadband Standalone Charge' of €7.87 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Don't cancel TV and phone. Broadband and phone is usually cheaper than broadband alone. You never need to use the phone. If you have broadband and phone the 7.87 charge does not apply as you have 2 services.

You won't be able to view anything on the UPC DVR box if you cancel TV services,and UPC will take the box back off you.You can pick up the 15 or so analogue stations if you plug the white co-ax UPC cable that is currently going into the back of your DVR into your TV's aerial socket.

Try it and see what the picture is like now,the only thing is that if there is a problem with the picture quality in the future you can't complain to UPC about it as you aren't paying them for TV services.

I just tried that - The picture is fine so I might go for that. I didnt realise they take the boxes off you. Sky dont do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

I just tried that - The picture is fine so I might go for that. I didnt realise they take the boxes off you. Sky dont do that.

There is 2 opinions on if that is a good idea.

With Sky after your years contract if the box breaks, it's your problem, UPC will fix their box for free anytime, any year.

Nearly every UPC channel is scrambled, so even if they left you the box, without a subscription it is useless even for channels such as BBC.

Along with Sky cancelling your card so you cannot watch premium channels (including RTE1 and RTE2), they also disable the recording feature. In addition they also block playback of old recordings. This makes the old Sky box not much use. OK it can be used for the 7 day guide, the handy channel numbering, some free UK channels, but not for any of the Irish channels.

In reality it's probably cheaper for Sky to let you "own" the box and so charge you when it breaks than to rent you the box and repair it for free when it breaks. UPC do not charge if the signal fails, while Sky charge for callouts and dish repairs.

Personally I would prefer if Sky "rented" the equipment and repaired it for free, as their boxes are not much use without a subscription anyway. They tend to sell for 60 Euro secondhand. (the newer black 500GB)

cheers for the info. makes sense i suppose.

Advertisement