Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Ham Away

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

What a game that was, one of the most enjoyable i have watched this season

We played very very well and yes when bale ran over to avb for the big celebration , it was really great to see.

Thought most players did well but i thought verts and parker were terrible, especially vertonghen. He was at fault for coles goal and around the 80th min mark, avb pushed him on the sideline to get him going forward and verts just stood there.

He didnt look happy at all, i dont think he likes left back.

Ade tried hard and missed a sitter, he needs a goal badly. Sunday is setup nicely for him

We are building lots of confidence and momentum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Fantastic result, words can’t describe Bale. Lloris made a very important save, 3-1 and its game over. Vertonghen fitness worries me, he looks okay for 60-70 minutes and then gasses heavily.

Caulker was unlucky not to score at least once? Holtby was ok, some nice one touches, still finding his feet, gonna be good. Sigurdsson clips the post again, him being on the field brought renewed life to the team. Think he should start on Sunday. Two subs who came on did brilliantly.

Ade absolutely shíte, Collins couldn’t have had an easier game playing alongside him compared to Dawson v Carroll. He won one ball in the air and also had a header saved. Held the ball up in the last 3-4 minutes, at one stage he nearly put it out with no pressure on him. Maybe he needs another holiday, a career in panto awaits.

AVB doing a wonderful job whilst chelski have hit self destruct, we’ll be doing well to keep onto him.

Agree with sugarlumps - forgot to mention lloris.

Solid as a rock he is, thought he might have done better for coles goal but the save in the second half was excellent.

Also agree with siggy, he did more in 5 mins than holtby did for the 70 mins. Holtby may be good but im far from convinced at the moment.

Hopefully siggys goal will settle him down , i would also start him on sunday on the left wing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

mickman wrote: »
    Agree with sugarlumps - forgot to mention lloris.

Solid as a rock he is, thought he might have done better for coles goal but the save in the second half was excellent.

Also agree with siggy, he did more in 5 mins than holtby did for the 70 mins. Holtby may be good but im far from convinced at the moment.

Hopefully siggys goal will settle him down , i would also start him on sunday on the left wing
    Holy by is brilliant from what I have seen so far but he has to keep coming deep to dictate play because our two cms can't or won't play the ball forward they will only run it forward then pass sideways. Compared to Tom Carroll who would get the ball and probe the ball forward and find a pass with minimal movement.

Holy by is brilliant from what I have seen so far but he has to keep coming deep to dictate play because our two cms can't or won't play the ball forward they will only run it forward then pass sideways. Compared to Tom Carroll who would get the ball and probe the ball forward and find a pass with minimal movement.

brilliant ? He was no good last night man. siggy hit the post and scored in 15 mins, holtby didnt do anything during his time on the pitch.

Dont start saying that tom carroll is better than dembele because that comment would be totally wrong. Dembele plays is forward when he sees a chance to, he is not just going to pass it forward to make a stat.

I do like tom carroll though but he is not man enough for the team yet

• Advertisement

brilliant ? He was no good last night man. siggy hit the post and scored in 15 mins, holtby didnt do anything during his time on the pitch.

Dont start saying that tom carroll is better than dembele because that comment would be totally wrong. Dembele plays is forward when he sees a chance to, he is not just going to pass it forward to make a stat.

I do like tom carroll though but he is not man enough for the team yet
    Last night wasn't his best game and Siggy was much better I thought he was the catalyst to turning the match around but from what I have seen so far Holtby is brilliant IMO.
    Not saying Carroll is better than Dembele just that they play different styles Dembele really likes to carry the ball were Carroll likes to pass it. Carroll will be between than Dembele though he's going to be a really good player.

I also meant to say Caulker and Dawson were very good last night Caulker in particular. Vertigo em had a poor game at LB he's much more comfortable at CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Couple of things of note other than Bale...
    Lloris made a huge save from Taylor at 2-1....
    The one man team wouldnt have happened without Hugo.

For Bales 2nd goal.... Carroll receieved the ball and instantly gave it to the senior player ( Bale) and wallop ..3-2.. If Parker or Dembele had picked that ball up, not a hope hope of them giving it staright back to Bale, Dembele wouldve dropped the shoulder and ????
    Whereas Parker wouldve ran staright into the West Ham back 4!
    So thankfully Carrolls simple assist was so important.

BAE, Kaboul, Sandro and Defoe......

I love this one man team talk though.... saps out there havnt got a clue!!

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Holtby joined 3 weeks ago. People seriously expect him to be a world beater every minute of every game?

He had a poor game, nobody is perfect. Just as long as he doesn't **** up on Sunday. Or this is the start of the showings of an average footballer (its not don't worry).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Holtby had one beautiful touch in the first half, knocking the ball on accurately while turning to meet it. Other than that he looked pretty lightweight.

I think there was some reports when he arrived that he had been inconsistent in Germany. The guys still only 22 and is capable of brilliance so I think he was a fantastic signing, as he still has plenty of time to learn to hit the heights every match. He certainly seems to have the right enthusiasm and attitude to do it.

Great to see Tom Carroll come on, I didn't see the latter parts of the match (only heard the winner on the radio) but it's great to see some homegrown talent in and around the first team.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    Holtby joined 3 weeks ago. People seriously expect him to be a world beater every minute of every game?

He had a poor game, nobody is perfect. Just as long as he doesn't **** up on Sunday. Or this is the start of the showings of an average footballer (its not don't worry).

I dont expect him to be a world beater right away but some people seem to think he has been excellent in his performances so far and i wouldnt agree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

He's shown glimpses of being a key player. He's the ideal player to start in a game at home against Arsenal because you can see his passion. Very similar to VdV. We all know what VdV was like in NLD.

We're much the better having paid the money and got him here now than to not have him until the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I dont expect him to be a world beater right away but some people seem to think he has been excellent in his performances so far and i wouldnt agree with that

He's done okay considering he's just arrived at a new club/country. He had some good touches in the first half, particularly that cross from the left wing, but around 50mins (I think when Collins bundled into the back of him) he looked shattered. I'd hazard a guess that was probably the most physical game of football he's ever played!

Also, unlucky not to score v Lyon so all in all he's had a good effect on the team. No word beater, yet;)

He's done okay considering he's just arrived at a new club/country. He had some good touches in the first half, particularly that cross from the left wing, but around 50mins (I think when Collins bundled into the back of him) he looked shattered. I'd hazard a guess that was probably the most physical game of football he's ever played!

Also, unlucky not to score v Lyon so all in all he's had a good effect on the team. No word beater, yet;)

yeah i agree with all this and yes he does look like he has potential .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Only saw the highlights but anyone concerned about the second WH goal? Defence was poor and lacklustre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Only saw the highlights but anyone concerned about the second WH goal? Defence was poor and lacklustre.

Yes is a little bit concerning alright, playing the high line and offside trap is a dangerous game and if one of the back four is off sync then we can be totally exposed. We have to be careful on Sunday especially with Walcott running in behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Yes is a little bit concerning alright, playing the high line and offside trap is a dangerous game and if one of the back four is off sync then we can be totally exposed. We have to be careful on Sunday especially with Walcott running in behind.

Vert took a gamble by stepping up and he got caught out, these things happen, but thankfully it didn't cost us in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I know its a little off-topic, does anybody know when Defoe is back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Back training next week afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

jobeenfitz wrote: »

Read on Sunday that he was back in training 'next week,
    Not sure if that means he's back by now or if its next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Re: hammers 2nd goal.

I thought we didn't play the back line as high as usual. Probably to accomadate Dawson but I don't think he will play Draws on Sunday. Club captain he may be but he would be a liability against Walcott.

Funnily enough AVB might play Gallas on Sunday. AVB's big on player phschology and he might throw him in against his old team.

Advertisement