Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 commandments of being Irish

• 25-02-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking News last week had an article about the "10 commandments of being Irish"

http://m.brne.ws/discover/the-ten-commandments-of-being-irish-583564.html

I thought some of them were a bit stupid

Heres my 10

1. Moan
    2. Begrudge
    3. Give out about the brits while watching premier league soccer
    4. Moan about the government then vote them back in
    5. Emigrate
    6. Have a pointless rant about the nationality of someone famous
    7. Proudly avoid paying taxes
    8. Bring your barries tea on holidays
    9. Report your honest neighbours for social welfare fraud
    10. Sing Ole ole at every random sporting event

What would your 10 be?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Lyons tea is nicer than Barry's tea, would not bring it on holiday all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Indulge in that curious mix of naval gazing and boasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Public urination is a national pasttime

Begrudge success, no matter the circumstances

Being two faced is acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

1. Moan
    2. Begrudge
    5. Emigrate

Was number 7 meant to be Avoid? Or Evade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Gawk at someone walking through your village/town who is not from the area....an "outsider" as Bull McCabe would say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aSligoDub

I wanted to say you spelt Lyons wrong, but HondaSami got there before me..

10 things is a big ask in after hours btw:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Think that someone who was hospitalised due to alcohol poisoning was a 'friggin light weight' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I suppose drink your fattest friend's weight in alcohol would have to feature in there somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Live in Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Owryan wrote: »
    Public urination is a national pasttime

Yes only Irish people pee outside. :rolleyes:

I f*ckin hate these lists. Why don't you travel somewhere and realise other nationalities are quite similar too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

11. "Bring" everything, rather than taking it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Do a great job building in other countries, but completely **** it up in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

1. Dont make lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I dont know about the ten commandments of being Irish, but bung in rants about immigrants taaaking ours jaaaabs and it sums up after hours quite nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I disagree with begrudgery, in ireland we just aren't afraid to call out a wanker just because he's made money.
    One thing that annous me is "self haters". Anything negative about ireland, no matter how valid, you'll get something saying "typical irish self hatred".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Keep your car nice and tidy inside while fecking all and sundry waste out your window to festoon the hedgerows and ditches.
    Then retire to the pub to have far more drink than is good for us and belt out a few raucous rebel songs about how beastly the Brits were to us for nearly 800 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

1. complain about the weather
    2. talk about someone that you know that died recently
    3. be nice to someone when they are in front of you then bitch about them behind their back
    4. complain about the catholic church, then greet the local priest with a friendly hello when you meet him on the street.
    5. complain about the price of stuff.
    6. tell people your not going to pay more taxes publicly, then quietly pay them.
    7. when anyone has good a bit of good luck, begrudge them cos it's not you getting the bit of good luck.
    8. drink beer everyday even if it's only dutch gold these days
    9. be rude to passengers on buses that you drive if you work for bus eireann/dublin bus
    10. complain about foreigners getting everything free when you have to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Keep your car nice and tidy inside while fecking all and sundry waste out your window to festoon the hedgerows and ditches.
    Then retire to the pub to have far more drink than is good for us and belt out a few raucous rebel songs about how beastly the Brits were to us for nearly 800 years.

Whatever backward little village you live in, I'd suggest you leave. It sounds horrible tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

HondaSami wrote: »
    Lyons tea is nicer than Barry's tea, would not bring it on holiday all the same.

DIE REBEL SCUM!! ;)

1. complain about the weather
    2. talk about someone that you know that died recently
    3. be nice to someone when they are in front of you then bitch about them behind their back
    4. complain about the catholic church, then greet the local priest with a friendly hello when you meet him on the street.
    5. complain about the price of stuff.
    6. tell people your not going to pay more taxes publicly, then quietly pay them.
    7. when anyone has good a bit of good luck, begrudge them cos it's not you getting the bit of good luck.
    8. drink beer everyday even if it's only dutch gold these days
    9. be rude to passengers on buses that you drive if you work for bus eireann/dublin bus
    10. complain about foreigners getting everything free when you have to pay for it.

My girlfriends family in Poland do all these things with the exception of driving for Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Great example of that one on newstalk one day. Henry McKean was out doing a vox pop on the poppy, asking people if they'd wear one.

Henry: Would you wear a poppy on rememberence day?
    Idiot: No
    Henry: Why not?
    Idiot: It's english, I wouldn't have anything to do with anything english or british
    Henry: But you're wearing an Aston Villa tracksuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Rant about foreigners getting free cars and taking our jobs while the picked-upon civil servants do nothing in the long hours that they work for half nothing and its all the fault of the government who won't let us drink and drive and piss in the wind as our brave forefathers fought for our freedom to do and all the while people are dying on hospital trollies because of the horsemeat that they ate because we're stuck in the European Union which is a giant conspiracy run by brit-loving aliens from Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If you're involved in any charity work, you should be allowed free rein to get away with anything.
    Pub owner fined after Irish 'nuns' are caught drinking illegally

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21534215

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

HondaSami wrote: »

At least Barrys is blended and packed here, not like Lyon's; their sneaky tv ads would have you believe that they have an operation here. Ditto 'Charleville' Cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

11 be slightly late for everything

Sauve wrote: »
    Whatever backward little village you live in, I'd suggest you leave. It sounds horrible tbh.

So long as you promise never to show your face around here I think I'll stay put!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

So long as you promise never to show your face around here I think I'll stay put!

Too late. I'm behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

syklops wrote: »
    My girlfriends family in Poland do all these things with the exception of driving for Dublin Bus.

I'm supposed to believe that?

You've a girlfriend??? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Heres my 10

1. Moan
    2. Begrudge
    5. Emigrate get drunk in australia for a year with a load of other irish people and pretend it makes you more worldly

What would your 10 be?

FYP

Unfortunately 4 & 10 are pretty accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Only 2 are required in order to be quintessentially Irish:

1. Big ego.

2. Low self-esteem.

I KNOW what I'm talkin' about......................but do I really?

I do, and she'll be along now in a minute to kick your ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Everything will be grand... unless it involves an increase in price or stricter availability of alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Aseth

As much as I don't agree with all the points .... Yes, he has a gf. ME. You have a problem with that? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Bruthal wrote: »
    Was number 7 meant to be Avoid? Or Evade?

I don't say evasion I say avoision.

mike65 wrote: »
    11 be slightly late for everything

Except when receiving cash is involved, then get there two weeks early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Gawk at someone walking through your village/town who is not from the area....an "outsider" as Bull McCabe would say.

Especially true if a stranger walks in the door of the local pub, que all heads swivel around to see 'whose in it'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

belt out a few raucous rebel songs about how beastly the Brits were to us for nearly 800 years.
    Whilst wearing english football jerseys after watching the english premier league drinking english beer, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Especially true if a stranger walks in the door of the local pub, que all heads swivel around to see 'whose in it'

Happens in every pub in every country, not an Irish thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

the_syco wrote: »
    Whilst wearing english football jerseys after watching the english premier league drinking english beer, of course.

English Cider you mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Are you a New Yorker of Jewish ancestry?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I heard Barbra Streisands voice to ...

Be seen at funerals of people you absolutely loathed when they were alive.
    I've done that myself, I'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Pass driving test - then wipe your memory clean of any trace about how to take a roundabout.

Avoid indicating as though its a puzzling task of great effort.

Expect wifi on trains/buses/in pubs/small cafes to actually work after 1000 failed attempts.
    You expected something somewhat technically advanced and free from dublin bus/iarnrod eireann to work, what were you thinking :confused::confused: .

Avoid standing out in any public situation where intervention is required, they might look at you or even make a comment. Wait painfully long for someone else to intervene (they'll break eventually) - look and comment. this is war. scaarleh for yerman.

Be obsessed with property prices - even if you have no intention to move.

Randomly pick a political party, have no clue about them. Continue voting for them no matter how they fck the country, cause they're your team.

If you're old and live in a large town/city buy a jack russell, have it poo on every street within 2 kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Blame somebody else has got to be in there...

Refer to successful people as cunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

What would your 10 be?

Pretty much the same, except i'd add the following:

Will attend every funeral in a 50km radius, then "respect" the dead by getting violently ill at the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Be all excited about a foreigner speaking some Irish or praising the country, while at the same time having no interesting in speaking Irish or praising the country's positives yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Agricola wrote: »
    Be all excited about a foreigner speaking some Irish or praising the country, while at the same time having no interesting in speaking Irish or praising the country's positives yourself!

I'll take a wild guess and say that the vast majority of Irish people are not "all excited" on hearing someone/anyone speaking 'as Gaelige', apprehensive or fidgety might be more appropriate words to describe their responses.

Though here on the streets of the nation's capital, you're more likely to hear someone speaking fluent 'Esperanto'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

syklops wrote: »

I f*ckin hate these lists. Why don't you travel somewhere and realise other nationalities are quite similar too.

11. Have no sense of humour when someone calls out the Irish.
    12. Laugh it off as 'we're only havin' the craic' when talking about other nationalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

11. Add more stereotypes to shite lists from Breaking News/Joe.ie etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement