Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket height over kitchen counter top?

Options
  • 25-02-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question...

I need to add two double sockets to a hollow plasterboard wall in the kitchen (so no problems with installing the conduit or cable up to the roof space over the kitchen ceiling) and i also have them marked out on the horizontal but i am not too sure on the vertical height these sockets should be on the wall above the standard kitchen counter (900mm high).

I see from the other sockets that have always been here that they are 210mm above the counter top (210 to the bottom of the bottom of the socket).

Should i just stay with a 210 height or is there a standard height when doing them these days?

Thanks

Comments

Access wrote: »
    Just a quick question...

I need to add two double sockets to a hollow plasterboard wall in the kitchen (so no problems with installing the conduit or cable up to the roof space over the kitchen ceiling) and i also have them marked out on the horizontal but i am not too sure on the vertical height these sockets should be on the wall above the standard kitchen counter (900mm high).

I see from the other sockets that have always been here that they are 210mm above the counter top (210 to the bottom of the bottom of the socket).

Should i just stay with a 210 height or is there a standard height when doing them these days?

Thanks

Can't find anything in the regs on the height over a counter top. 210 is the height to the bottom of the sockets in my own kitchen anyway and the house is only 5 years old (i didn't wire it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Stick too the heights that are there already.you don't want sockets at different heights around your kitchen

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Stick too the heights that are there already.you don't want sockets at different heights around your kitchen

My thoughts exactly.

Always preferable not to go too close to the sink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My sockets are 1000mm away from the sink area.

Also 500mm back from either side of the gas hob.

All sockets are 210mm from kitchen worktop to bottom of socket...with regards height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Our kitchen's sockets are way too high over the counter (just under the cupboards at the top of the tiles).

They're so high it's a bit impractical as some appliances (especially kettles) come with very short cords.

Something in the middle is the best idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for the replys...

Job done... Its the opposite wall to the sink and cooker and all that so no problems there.

I stayed to 210mm to the bottom of the socket and they look the job now so thanks for the info.

Advertisement