Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Difficulties - Windows 8 and OSX

Options
  • 25-02-2013 1:12pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I use my main pc as a server to hold all my music and movie files etc and use it to share files over the network on shared folders etc to two other laptops. When I had Windows XP this worked perfectly, but now I'm using Windows 8 on the main pc and its not working. Sometimes with a bit of playing about I can get it to work but it plays havock with the mac. (OSX 10.6)

Is there any trick to getting this to work? When on my macbook it should just appear in the list of devices but I have to 'connect to server' with the ip address - it connects but then says it can;t play any of the files. Beginning to drive me nuts at this stage...

Thankls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Disable the homegroup and setup your network the old-fashioned way.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks Torqay, thanks for that. The Homegroup is the way it worked perfectly on XP. If I turn it off on Win8, what is the Old Fashioned Way how I can set it up after that?

All I want is an easy way to connect my Mac and XP Laptop to simply see the list of folders that I have shared on the network drive, and to be able to stream them over the network. Will disabling the homegroup enable me to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

No, Windows XP didn't feature "Homegroup", it was only introduced with Windows 7. The default workgroup name in XP was Home alright, but that's not what Homegroup is about.

This tutorial should work for Windows 8 as well.

Advertisement