Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening Ideas - food afterwards

Options
  • 25-02-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi

I am looking for some ideas for food after a christening. I am in the South Dublin area and am divided about whether to go out or have something in the house. There would be about 18 adults and 8 children.

I have done the meal out before and it can be pretty expensive and have done the home thing all by myself (i.e. cooking/serving etc) and found I didn't get to enjoy the day at all as I was just too busy.

Does anyone have any ideas or things they have done. The christening is on at the beginning of April.

All ideas welcome - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Do you like Thai food? I was at a home-catered event recently and they decided to get Kanum Thai food in. It's excellent value and they deliver the food in proper profressional silver serving vats so people can help themselves. Everyone loved it and if you're catering for that amount of people then it will work out relatively cheaply. Get three main course choices for example. Based on the Southside too so handy for delivery etc www.kanum.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

chigli wrote: »
    have done the home thing all by myself (i.e. cooking/serving etc) and found I didn't get to enjoy the day at all as I was just too busy.
    If the weather is good enough you could have a BBQ, or a combination of food you make indoors and a BBQ, also gives greater selection.

People will be queuing up to have a go at tending the BBQ and serving it up and people freely serving/helping themselves -so frees up your time. It is also more ongoing and not a "everybody sit down now" deal, which is harder to arrange. It also makes the kitchen less cluttered, i.e. if people did offer to help indoors they can get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

April always has one nice week in it so if your lucky have a bbq it relaxed and possibly less stress for you. you can have a load of pre made salads and breads, quiches and stuff like that. if your on a tight budget cook a load of rice make some curry sauce and add your meat of choice, or other wet dish. stew?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I've done it twice......both times for 30 people.

first time I did a load of salads and then a massive boeuf bourguignon and got people to bring desserts.

the second time I did Sushi for starters (again all ready on arrival after the church) and Paella. Got a loan of a huge paella dish and bought 2.5kg of bomba rice, made a really delicious stock with cheap fish heads, crabs and prawns, chucked in loads of chicken thighs, chorizo....it really was epic. Could have fed 40 I'd say. Again get people to bring desserts.

Both times the weather was nice and it worked out great.

You will be busy though, but 95% can be done beforehand if you're smart. The Paella, a monkey could make (in this case my older brother helped out).

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

what ever you decide to do make sure you chose something that only needs a small bit of work once your guests are there, the last thing you want is the stress of cooking with a load of people looking at you, and remember its your day as well so try keep the stress down. good idea about getting people to bring deserts, i would try telling people to make there own deserts and bring them (as opposed to buying them), would be interesting trying different ones

• Advertisement
Advertisement