Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nokia Lumia 520

• 25-02-2013 1:43pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Nokia have officially announced the Lumia 520 at MWC.

The specs won't set the world on fire, but they're solid enough:
    -4 inch Super Sensitive screen
    -1Ghz Dual-core processor
    -512Mb RAM,
    -8GB storage
    -microSD
    -5MP auto focus camera
    -replaceable back covers
    -Windows Phone 8 OS
    (more detailed specs on link above)

Most impressive of all it's expected to cost around €139. It is a pretty low end phone, but that's a fantastic price for a very nice looking phone with good functionality. Especially when you keep in mind that it'll come with all the standard Nokia apps (Drive, Maps, Music etc). It'll be really hard to beat this in terms of value. The only thing that appears to be missing is a flash for the camera.

Are Nokia on to a huge winner here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

stevenmu wrote: »

I should think so - I'm in anyways !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I think that between this, the 620 and 720 (also announced today), they have got a brilliant low- to mid-price range out there (if they ever get them out there :D ). The 720 looks very interesting to me and I'd have it in a shot if it weren't for the OIS in the 920, priced at around 250 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Any ideas when these would be available in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

If Vodafone's record with the 920 is anything to go by, around 6 months!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

PaulieC wrote: »
    I think that between this, the 620 and 720 (also announced today), they have got a brilliant low- to mid-price range out there (if they ever get them out there :D ). The 720 looks very interesting to me and I'd have it in a shot if it weren't for the OIS in the 920, priced at around 250 euros.
    The 720 does look very nice, but I'm not sure what it adds over the 620 that makes it worth the extra few euro. I must look up some comparisons.

At the moment I'm leaning towards either the 520 or 620. The benefits of the 620 are a flash for the main camera, a front facing camera for video chat and NFC, so I'm trying to decide if they're worth the extra over the 520. The pure cheapness of the 520 is very appealing, I slightly cracked the screen in my 710 today (still working perfectly) and because I only paid €170 for it I don't really mind that much, if it was a €600 920 I would be gutted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's the likes of 520 that'll revive Nokia, not the 920. These low and mid range phones they are putting out are fantastic value and far more attractive that the fairly rotten Android offerings at the same level. WP still won't persuade me to abandon Android in the high end, but I'm definitely going to pick up one of these as a backup.

stevenmu wrote: »
    The 720 does look very nice, but I'm not sure what it adds over the 620 that makes it worth the extra few euro. I must look up some comparisons.

At the moment I'm leaning towards either the 520 or 620. The benefits of the 620 are a flash for the main camera, a front facing camera for video chat and NFC, so I'm trying to decide if they're worth the extra over the 520. The pure cheapness of the 520 is very appealing, I slightly cracked the screen in my 710 today (still working perfectly) and because I only paid €170 for it I don't really mind that much, if it was a €600 920 I would be gutted :)

If it was my money, I'd get either a 620 or 720 and a decent P&S camera upgrade. However, I'm getting the 920 from work, so that kinda makes that choice for me. (correction, I was told in October that I would be getting one, but no sign as of yet :D )
    It's the likes of 520 that'll revive Nokia, not the 920. These low and mid range phones they are putting out are fantastic value and far more attractive that the fairly rotten Android offerings at the same level. WP still won't persuade me to abandon Android in the high end, but I'm definitely going to pick up one of these as a backup.

I agree with this. The quality of the 520 & 620 at the prices they are going for is way above the only real alternative in that end of the market - the rows and rows of android dreck. The only way Nokia (and by extension WP) will get back into the market is to really build on these low cost offerings, pushing up the userbase of WP, thereby building the app base, thereby getting more users etc. Some things to note from the last few weeks
    • According to the Kantar report yesterday, they are showing signs of that in the last three months with varying levels of growth in all the major markets.
    • There has been a steady increase in the number of 'regional' apps released over the past few weeks e.g. English and Canadian banking apps (Natwest and RBS in UK).
    • Nokia have also reported some decent corporate migrations e.g. Coca Cola Asia taking red NL920s
    • Nokia announced GoPro, Foursquare and Burton apps yesterday, with the Foursquare featuring some features using the new Nokia Here APIs
    All of these things help break the chicken and egg cycle that WP has found itself in wrt apps and app numbers. If this happens, we should then see the likes of Samsung making a decent effort in the market and LG and others entering the market with new handsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't want to high jack this thread, but what rumoured price is of 720?

I love 820 and 920, but those are way out of my reach. Where's 720 looks like a golden spot spec wise.

I don't want to high jack this thread, but what rumoured price is of 720?

I love 820 and 920, but those are way out of my reach. Where's 720 looks like a golden spot spec wise.

I think they are 250 euros plus local taxes, so around 300. They are on pre-sale on expansys, but no prices yet

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

€360 :/ thought it'd be a bit cheaper, I think i'm gonna go with the 520, the design is way nicer than the 620 imo, bigger screen too, but no flash camera :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Just been checking the clove.co.uk website and the prices look good, especially since sterling has been slipping recently

Lumia 520: £170 inc vat / €196 inc vat
    Lumia 620: £226 inc vat / €261 inc vat
    Lumia 720: £299 inc vat / €346 inc vat
    Lumia 820: £387 inc vat / €447 inc vat
    Lumia 920: £520 inc vat / €599 inc vat

Delivery by clove is usually about £20 / €23

The 520 and 620 seem to be particularly good value, I'll be recommending these when they become available in April!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lumia 350eu + 20eu delivery? I knew they will **** it up...

Clove is not the cheapest place to buy devices, but if that price is going to be standard, then once again a good device will become popular only after a year or so on sales.

That works out 370eu. I am not an android fanboy and I was looking forward to 720, but for that price you can pick up Experia T, which has a lot better spec and camera all around :(

Advertisement