Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB CONNECTION AND TEMPORARY SUPPLY

Options
  • 25-02-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All,

I am currently getting ready to set up boiler to dry out house. ESB connection supply has only just been applied for. We are currently using an extension lead supply from a neighbouring house for power tools etc. They are willing to let us use this for the purpose of a temporary supply to allow an electrical feed to the boiler to let us dry out house, otherwise we would have to wait for ESB connection. Will a supply from another house facilitate the boiler power?

any advice greatly appreciated

Regards

JT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll move this to the electrical forum

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

jimmytom wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am currently getting ready to set up boiler to dry out house. ESB connection supply has only just been applied for. We are currently using an extension lead supply from a neighbouring house for power tools etc. They are willing to let us use this for the purpose of a temporary supply to allow an electrical feed to the boiler to let us dry out house, otherwise we would have to wait for ESB connection. Will a supply from another house facilitate the boiler power?

any advice greatly appreciated

Regards

JT

a boiler takes about 150 watts to run. add in whatever other pumps are inside. It might come to 300 watts max. half the wattage of a small drill.
    should be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

how close is the house next door

an extension lead may not be big enough to take the load

my advise is to run a 6mm cable off the fuseboard next door to supply a twin socket to run power tools and boiler
    protect it with 20amp rcbo

meercat wrote: »
    how close is the house next door

an extension lead may not be big enough to take the load

my advise is to run a 6mm cable off the fuseboard next door to supply a twin socket to run power tools and boiler
    protect it with 20amp rcbo

From a safety view, that would be the best advise, I was trying to put a figure to the power used to run a boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

frankmul wrote: »
    From a safety view, that would be the best advise, I was trying to put a figure to the power used to run a boiler

sorry frankmul
    i was typing as you posted
    i was not replying to your post

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    sorry frankmul
    i was typing as you posted
    i was not replying to your post

No problem merrcat, we should always remember the safety aspect of every job. We should emphasis the importance of working safely in all electrical work regards of the size of the job.

Advertisement