Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pay cuts

• 25-02-2013 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

my understanding of the lrc document is that a teacher/public servant on 65k will have a 5.5% pay cut hence their salary will drop to 61425....however a teacher on 64k will stay on 64k......What sort of madness is this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

I would presume it's 10% of the salary above the 65k threshold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭john1963

quad_red wrote: »
    I would presume it's 10% of the salary above the 65k threshold.

http://per.gov.ie/2013/02/25/labour-relations-commission-lrc-proposals-for-public-service-agreement-briefing-note/

doesnt look like it

john1963 wrote: »

i assume it is reading wrong and its on the amount over 65k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

According to the Asti website cuts will apply to all salary but wage will not drop below 65k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

thats my reading of it also, hefty pay cut. Whats concerning me is that no one will want to Principal or Deputy!
    I am curious how the double cut alleviation will work....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Supervision and Substitution is gone?!

Hows that going to work at primary level? The working time act says we're entitled to some sort of break from work. As it is, we're always really on duty in case someone from the class has a major issue that could get passed on from the supervising teachers on that day's rota.

This is a joke. Union!? Whats the point of a union!?!

According to the Asti website cuts will apply to all salary but wage will not drop below 65k

yes thats right......and s&s money gone
    great deal!!

Trotter wrote: »
    Supervision and Substitution is gone?!

Hows that going to work at primary level? The working time act says we're entitled to some sort of break from work. As it is, we're always really on duty in case someone from the class has a major issue that could get passed on from the supervising teachers on that day's rota.

This is a joke. Union!? Whats the point of a union!?!

its gone and each person must do up to 2 hours 15 mins extra a week. THis can be done before and after school I assume so I am wondering how primary can implement it in reality.....

Anyone wonder what happens to the many years pensionability paid on S&S, was I a fool for paying it? Will the pensions board look at it?

The pension has the potential to be a serious issue for the government. They pushed s and s on this basis. This supervision lark is a pain.

I already teach choir two lunchtimes a week, run extra hour of music outside of school on a Thursday and take maths club after school for an hour on Tuesday. I won't have time for this next year if I lose more preparation periods. In our school you are required in so far as possible to teach the s and s periods

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What do you make of this?

"The public sector pension levy will be cut modestly, with pay between €15,000 to €20,000 now subject to a rate of 2.5 per cent instead of 5 per cent"

Does this mean teachers on half hours, who make less than €20k, will actually be better off?? Or am I being far too optimistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

The pension has the potential to be a serious issue for the government. They pushed s and s on this basis. This supervision lark is a pain.

I already teach choir two lunchtimes a week, run extra hour of music outside of school on a Thursday and take maths club after school for an hour on Tuesday. I won't have time for this next year if I lose more preparation periods. In our school you are required in so far as possible to teach the s and s periods

See this is where the government and school management will have no sympathy for you. They will say that what you are doing (choir and extra maths) is totally voluntary and they are not forcing you to do it.

But I have tremendous sympathy for your position. There is never any thought given to all the things that cost them nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

TheDriver wrote: »
    thats my reading of it also, hefty pay cut. Whats concerning me is that no one will want to Principal or Deputy!
    I am curious how the double cut alleviation will work....

People will always want to go for those jobs! You might not have as many applicants but they'll always find somebody for the job....

Reduced choice though may lead to a drop in standards.

Oh don't get me wrong doc, I'm well aware of what the government would say. Im not sorry I do it currently. The issue is that I'm not full time and the pressure is applied by principals. If I ever manage to get the elusive CID I will be re-evaluating my position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

dory wrote: »
    What do you make of this?

"The public sector pension levy will be cut modestly, with pay between €15,000 to €20,000 now subject to a rate of 2.5 per cent instead of 5 per cent"

Does this mean teachers on half hours, who make less than €20k, will actually be better off?? Or am I being far too optimistic?

Yes it does, but if you take that 5000 and split it over the year being paid fortnightly

5000/26 = 197

197 * 5%= 9.85 pension levy paid per fortnight at the 5% rate which looks about right, I looked at my last pay slip earlier and it was 9. something

So you'll get half of that back.

Approximately 4.93 per fortnight. Don't spend it all in the one shop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

Available for 5 periods s and s per week? That's half my classes off. It's bad enough having to give up 3 of them. I'd rather an extra period or 2 on my timetable, at least I'd know each week what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Available for 5 periods s and s per week? That's half my classes off. It's bad enough having to give up 3 of them. I'd rather an extra period or 2 on my timetable, at least I'd know each week what to expect.
    I imagine, as someone suggested on this or another thread, that in practice (depending on circumstances in individual schools obviously), people will actually end up supervising less, as now it will be mandatory for all teachers. I certainly know in my school that if every teacher was pulling their weight on s&s (and I am also including those who are part of the scheme but can be a little shy about putting down their names, tending to leave it as late as possible so as to give others the chance) the individual load would be lighter than it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I imagine, as someone suggested on this or another thread, that in practice (depending on circumstances in individual schools obviously), people will actually end up supervising less, as now it will be mandatory for all teachers. I certainly know in my school that if every teacher was pulling their weight on s&s (and I am also including those who are part of the scheme but can be a little shy about putting down their names, tending to leave it as late as possible so as to give others the chance) the individual load would be lighter than it is now.

I agree it depends on individual schools, in my school we nominate 3 periods per week and our Principal comes to us the day before /day of the class and says your supervising at ....period for.... so there is no way of avoiding your share.
    The one bit I am worried about is do you have to be sitting there for all 5 periods (just in case)...you could be sitting waiting every free class you have (I am there most of the time but if you need to go to the bank, get petrol etc you wouldnt be able to leave the building)...at the moment you can only be called for 1 period of your 3....can you now be called for 2/3 or whatever ???? any ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

solerina wrote: »

at the moment you can only be called for 1 period of your 3....can you now be called for 2/3 or whatever ???? any ideas
    You can be called for 2 of the 5. But if you have nominated one class per day, and arent called Monday to Wednesday, you are sitting around on call for all 5 of the classes. At least if you are called early in the week you can use your free periods later in the week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Our classes are an hour long, so our school won't get as much 'benefit' from such a proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

• Advertisement

Broken link....

I put a link in the other thread that works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

I think that we would be better off having the 'extra classes' built into our timetable.We presently have a principal who always signed up for s&s but never actually did it......it was always 'oh.I never saw my name up there' and got away with it for years,now when the boot is on the other foot ,enter the tyrant!! I gave up s&s 2 years ago when this tyrant was 'put in place' as I needed sanity and would not be at her beck and call.Mind you my name still appeared on a roster for about 3 months after that and I had to point out every time that I did not 'do' s&s...the message finally got through!!! Now I feel that my life will be open to all sorts of abuse with this new CP2 and cronyism will once again rule!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

ethical wrote: »
    I think that we would be better off having the 'extra classes' built into our timetable.We presently have a principal who always signed up for s&s but never actually did it......it was always 'oh.I never saw my name up there' and got away with it for years,now when the boot is on the other foot ,enter the tyrant!! I gave up s&s 2 years ago when this tyrant was 'put in place' as I needed sanity and would not be at her beck and call.Mind you my name still appeared on a roster for about 3 months after that and I had to point out every time that I did not 'do' s&s...the message finally got through!!! Now I feel that my life will be open to all sorts of abuse with this new CP2 and cronyism will once again rule!!

Another reason to reject the so called deal.

Advertisement