Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading from xp to windows 7

Options
  • 25-02-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

hi

i just wondering if i upgrade to from windows xp to windows 7 will i lose all my software i have downloaded and all my photos, documents, emails, movies etc.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

No, when you go to install the new operating system it gives you an option of upgrading while keeping all your programs/files OR doing a fresh install which installs the new OS but deletes everything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mobyfitz20

thank you for the quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

That said, it's wise to back them up anyway just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You,ll have to install all programs again,use install option,UPGRADE,see post below,

BE careful,dont just click,ok,ok, ok,ok,during install process, take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/

see
    Now we come to the heart of the matter. Windows asks you Which type of installation do you want? (See Figure 7.) But there’s no Reinstall option listed. Instead, you have to bend the normal installation routine to your wishes by selecting the upgrade option.

Figure 7. Tell Windows a little white lie — that you’re upgrading, even though you’re really not.

IE CHOOSE Ugrade option, to avoid formatting drive c.
    its probably better to backup,files before ,you do the install to be sure of not losing your data,
    music,images etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Id create a backup just to be safe also make sure you upgrade using a 32-bit of Windows 7 as 64-bit will not work as most likely you are running XP in 32-bit.

Advertisement