Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vandalism in private car park

Options
  • 25-02-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if your car is vandalised in a private car park such as RCSI or Drury Street who is liable? Your insurance company? The carpark? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

best to ask in the legal discussion section.

my opinion would be the car park operators - chances are they have signs up saying by parking here we are not liable for any damage caused to your vehicle.

but those signs usually dont mean much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The people who caused the damage are liable. You claim against your insurance, unless you can take a civil case against them.

The car park operators have no liability.

Paulw wrote: »
    The people who caused the damage are liable. You claim against your insurance, unless you can take a civil case against them.

The car park operators have no liability.

the car park operators may be liable - depending on the circumstances.

We do not know the full circumstances.

and I agree with you that the person who did the damage is the liable party- but there could have been negligence on the behalf of the car-park.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Corkbah wrote: »
    and I agree with you that the person who did the damage is the liable party- but there could have been negligence on the behalf of the car-park.

You would have to prove their negligence. Very hard to do. Almost anyone can walk in to a car park, and walk out.

Paulw wrote: »
    You would have to prove their negligence. Very hard to do. Almost anyone can walk in to a car park, and walk out.

and if the car park is CCTV monitored.... the person in the control center has a responsibility to report it and failing to see it could also amount to negligence.(in theory)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Corkbah wrote: »
    and if the car park is CCTV monitored.... the person in the control center has a responsibility to report it and failing to see it could also amount to negligence.(in theory)

I'd imagine seeing it and failing to report it is negligence. Not seeing something isn't negligent.

The RCSI can be accessed by anyone and has loads of cameras, so the chances of the security guard spotting the vandalism is slim. You can request them to review the video to see if the vandal can be recognised. Same for most other carparks.

Drury Street on the other hand talk a good talk, so you may have a chance with them.

Advertisement