Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let me/us be your warrior(s). AKA 'The Warriors Run 2013 Thread'

Options
  • 25-02-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Yes it may be several months before the actual event, and about 2-3 months before the infamous on line entry and registration opens.

But come on, your tempted.

Race this year is on the Saturday 31st August, at 3pm.

My self, I have a bit of a point to prove this year, and on my third attempt, looking to better my 89 minute time of 2011.

Your training plans/tips/logs/progress here.

Warriors Run 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Good man Stew on the ball already!

Started my training in January from the very basics and now running around 30-35km between 3/4 times a week!
    Not been doing much hill work at all, went for a look at the Warrior's Route and got a little bit nervous when climbing the first hill up to Kelly's, never mind the rest of the absolute mountains that grace the path to Knocknerea itself!!
    The only gradients I've tackled are Pearse Rd and Cairns Hill from the Aughamore side of things, which was absolute torture and I was full on heaving mid way up! Phew!

Cannot wait for registration, I'll be on like an absolute HAWK! No way am I missing it this year!
    I've my eyes set on doing the Warrior's Run and potentially the 1/2 Marathon of Sligo. I think they had their first ever Marathon there last September so it would be lovely to get out and do the half!

A nice little 5km coming up in May, seems a bit different to all the other ones! It's called "Darkness Into Light" and it's being held all over Ireland in different locations. Funny thing about it is it starts at 4a.m! Sounds really fun so I'm definitely up for it!

I've the route if any of you guys are interested in it!

Can't wait to hear how everyone's running is coming on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Registration opens next month (may), but still no exact date as per the website.

Done 3 events so far this year, two 10kms, and a 10mile, last of which was over the weekend. Gonna have to seriously look at the training plans, incorporate some cycling, and really make a proper attempt and attending circuits, as picking up to many strains and pulls. Really really want a PB in this, this year, and dont want to go home again disappointed or let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

irish-stew wrote: »
    Registration opens next month (may), but still no exact date as per the website.

*whisper Thursday 30th May *runs away, trips, twists ankle, shakes fist at mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭scarlet43

Have heard on the grapevine that online registration opens on 30th May. However, they're doing the same thing as last year in Bella Vista and the Strand on Wed 29th from 7pm. 100 registrations in Strand and 100 registrations in Bella Vista. You have to be there in person, you can't register for more than 1 person. If you're registering for someone else, then you still have to put the registration in your own name, and then when online system is up a few days later, you can transfer to the proper entrant's name.

scarlet43 wrote: »
    Have heard on the grapevine that online registration opens on 30th May. However, they're doing the same thing as last year in Bella Vista and the Strand on Wed 29th from 7pm. 100 registrations in Strand and 100 registrations in Bella Vista. You have to be there in person, you can't register for more than 1 person. If you're registering for someone else, then you still have to put the registration in your own name, and then when online system is up a few days later, you can transfer to the proper entrant's name.

4pm on the 30th has been confirmed as per the website. Took a look at last years thread, link eventually opened at 4.15pm, and was full at 5pm.

• Advertisement

100 places made available tonight in The Strand. Anyone signed up yet? Online from tomorrow.

;)

Got number 74/100 in Bella Vista :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

got number 73/100 in Bella Vista!! ;-)

Was 31st in the queue in the Strand. Serious amount of people there, didn't expect it!!
    1st ever warrior's run this year. NERVOUS!!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151387680295044&set=a.164476195043.127513.576810043&type=1&theater

F5 F5 F5 F5........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

crashed

Gipo3 wrote: »
    crashed

Third year in a row. Think they would have it sorted by now. Tring to go directly from the precision timing site, that not working either.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Have it in my basket now, trying to get to payment

Update:

Got it @ 16:28

35 minutes to register. First 5 minutes was due to firefox crashing with minutes to go before 4pm (laptop fault, not organisers), then precision timing crashing.

Got firefox shut down, and explorer and chrome opened. Explorer got me all the way to payment screen after about 20 minutes between waiting and server crashing, first attempt at chrome and payment crashed just after entering CC details, thankfully basket was saved, and processed on second attempt.

Unfortunatly was not able to make registration at The Strand last night, but would have really thought after the last two years, and precision timing on board, all the issues would have been resolved.

Really thought I was not going to get in this year.

:mad:

Anyhow, roll on August 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

ALL GONE NOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭JoeCole26

I missed out, myself and a friend have been trying since 4pm and now it says "REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED - QUOTA FILLED".

A Sligo person living in Dublin, very disappointing not to have got in. approx 500 people must have registered in 35mins = one every 4seconds!!

Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭captainkeg

Anyone know if the Knocknarae loop run is going ahead again this year? It was an excellent warm up event for the warriors last year

Did any one see that the guys running the Warrior's page on Facebook posted saying that they did not reach the quota and only 300 odd places were filled, registration continued after that... I read that the quota had been filled first on the same page and then they updated and said contact was made with a certain bank saying that the bank must have crashed as they allow 3 transactions a second but the site was trying to do 20 a second or something like that..

Just curious if people just stopped as soon as that blip happened! Pretty sure the post from Warrior's was close to the 5pm mark when they said only 350 places were registered.. Thought it was crazy 650 places were gone in less than an hour.. Madness!

Lornen wrote: »
    Did any one see that the guys running the Warrior's page on Facebook posted saying that they did not reach the quota and only 300 odd places were filled, registration continued after that... I read that the quota had been filled first on the same page and then they updated and said contact was made with a certain bank saying that the bank must have crashed as they allow 3 transactions a second but the site was trying to do 20 a second or something like that..

Just curious if people just stopped as soon as that blip happened! Pretty sure the post from Warrior's was close to the 5pm mark when they said only 350 places were registered.. Thought it was crazy 650 places were gone in less than an hour.. Madness!

I read on the FB page that all 800 went, plus 20 more sneaking in before they closed it due to the number per second being processed by the bank.

I read on the FB page that all 800 went, plus 20 more sneaking in before they closed it due to the number per second being processed by the bank.

Ah, I saw that one also, I think the two posts were made within the same hour and I must have just seen the "we're full" one before I saw the "ok it crashed but there are still places" :pac:

I made it to the pre-registeration and I saw a few people on the Facebook page giving out about people from town coming to the local registration saying it should have strictly been reserved for people from Strandhill. I held my tongue anyway! If you spent all day sitting in a pub on a sun splitting day like Tuesday, I think I earned my place! :pac:

Now, Sunday will be my Warrior day and I think I'll try the route from now until August to get used to the hills.
    I've only done it once before and I had to stop on the hills a few times. Killer!

How's everyone's training going?! :)

• Advertisement

Ah, I saw that one also, I think the two posts were made within the same hour and I must have just seen the "we're full" one before I saw the "ok it crashed but there are still places" :pac:

I made it to the pre-registeration and I saw a few people on the Facebook page giving out about people from town coming to the local registration saying it should have strictly been reserved for people from Strandhill. I held my tongue anyway! If you spent all day sitting in a pub on a sun splitting day like Tuesday, I think I earned my place! :pac:

Now, Sunday will be my Warrior day and I think I'll try the route from now until August to get used to the hills.
    I've only done it once before and I had to stop on the hills a few times. Killer!

How's everyone's training going
    ?! :)

Was struggling recently after running a 10k at the end of April, dispite being in good shape up to that point.

Struggling to such an effect that I was concerned would not even match my PB, let alone beat it in next weekends Streets of Sligo 5km. Feeling better though now after a good run at the weekend. Will leave the hill training and distance building though till after the 5km.

Was struggling recently after running a 10k at the end of April, dispite being in good shape up to that point.

Struggling to such an effect that I was concerned would not even match my PB, let alone beat it in next weekends Streets of Sligo 5km. Feeling better though now after a good run at the weekend. Will leave the hill training and distance building though till after the 5km.

I'm sure you'll be fighting fit for the 5k Stew, don't be worrying about it!! :pac:

I've started a new fitness programme that limits carbs to only cruciferous vegetables for the first week. No gluten, no dairy, no sugar, no alcohol. It's totally zapped my energy and I had a right howler yesterday. 5k in 29:40 :(
    Took on half a banana in a protein shake for breakfast and had a handful of almonds a while ago so hopefully I can get better!
    Doing the Streets of Sligo 5k also Stew :) I might see you there! I'll be the one in the swanky kicks :P

http://www.good-suppliers.com/images/Sneakers/Nike%20Free%20Run/Free%20Run%205.0/Nike%20Free%20Run%205.0%20Men%20Shoes%20in%20Blue%20and%20Yellowgreen.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi all. May have a go again this year...baby due in late august so will see.

May have a little trainng advice.

Some things to remember.

1. This race is more or less a test of strenght.

What to do? High mileage makes legs strong and body light. Run anytime you can. Keep it easy but get the miles in. Get as fit as you can. This will have the biggest affect on your time. Have the runners in the car. Run twice a day when feeling up to it. Go for it!

Add a 'steady' run once a week when fitter. A steady run is a run faster than your normal easy run. The pace is controlled not hard. Start at 10 mins easy 15 mins steady 5 mins easy. Add 5 mins a week to make an hour at the faster pace.

Add a tempo run once a week after a few weeks of starting the steady run.
    A tempo run is comfortably hard not quite eyeballs out but harder than steady.
    Yiu can do a tempo run as a comtinous run or in segments. Start with either 17 mins tempo or 10 mins by 2 with 2 mins rest between. 10 mins easy warmup and down. Build to 45 mins. This run will get you very fit. And it will toughen you to running hard for a sustained period. Its slighly

harder than your on the day pace and is hugely beneficial.

2. Only 10 people wont walk some of the climb. 80% will walk all or almost all of the climb.

What does that mean? Hill reps will only be of benefit to the road hills. Hill walking will be of most benefit to the race. Practive walking up hill, hard with hands on knees. Practice the descent on way down. Dont hammer the down, just practice covering the ground smoothly. You have 6 hard ks left after the hill on race day. Dont trash your legs on the down. Practice on knocknarea or any offroad hill. Do some of the easy, steady and tempo runs on trails like union wood, but mostly do them on road.

Any questions about that long ramble, fire away.

EDIT:

Just to add. A long run for endurance per week or 10 days is also a must. Should be up to 50% longer than your second longest run.

Also the above advice is for improvers, intermediates or people doing it first time wanting to give it a real go.

To those aiming at getting around the course, the long run becomes most important.

I can give suggested sessions for any of the baove training if people like.

Will be down in Sligo saturday week and will be doing a run in and around knocknarea. If anyone fancies a group run, let me know, we can meet up at the carpark saturday morning.

Streets of Sligo 5k this afternoon. Last planned race for me (so far) before the Warrior, and then switching to the Trail Runners.

Anyone know of any 10ks in the NW or surrounding counties coming up?

Streets of Sligo 5k this afternoon. Last planned race for me (so far) before the Warrior, and then switching to the Trail Runners.

Anyone know of any 10ks in the NW or surrounding counties coming up?

The Ransboro 10k is coming up on the 29th of June - was hoping to do it this year but it's on the same evening as the last race in the Metalman swim series - so can't do both :( If you email Terry Hayes (slyouthfootball@eircom.net) and get him to add you to his mail list, you'll be notified of EVERY race that's happening in the area - well worth it.

Ransboro 10k this afternoon. Actually feel sick at the thoughts of it. I did the route on Monday and got my 10k PB of 53 minutes and it's been over 2 months since I last ran the distance. Last time I did a 10k I ran it in my average of 57. Been keeping a low profile on the running front all week but a few classes down in ROM and my legs are still sore. I hope I get on ok! Hoping for a 55 minute finish!

53:16 finish for the Ransboro 10K :D

I was given a leaflet for the Knocknarea 8 Mile Mountain Loop which takes places on Sunday 11th of August at 10:45 am.
    10 euro registeration. Anyone doing the Warriors Run should probably give this a belt!

53:16 finish for the Ransboro 10K :D

I was given a leaflet for the Knocknarea 8 Mile Mountain Loop which takes places on Sunday 11th of August at 10:45 am.
    10 euro registeration. Anyone doing the Warriors Run should probably give this a belt!

Wow Lornen. Thats Brilliant.

<big thumbs up>

1st run today since The Streets of Sligo (other than a run the morning after) after picking up a couple of twinges, was only a few k, but felt pretty good. Have now pretty much decided not to enter any more events before the Warriors, basically to avoid injury, as I have a habit of running these things to fast in an attempt to run quicker than the last time.

Still confident of a PB, and still aiming to do another couple of bigger runs either in the Autumn, or Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Hi there,

Not sure if people are interested, but we're having a 10KM "King of the Hill" run in Keash on Sunday 28th July. This is a tough race which takes in a few tough hill climbs, and runners who did this race last year have said it would have made great training for doing the Warriors run. Many Sligo people did our race last year, as you'll see on our facebook page.

You can see more details on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/garland10kmrun

or sign up on the following page:

http://www.activeglobal.com/uk/running/sligo-ireland/garland-sunday-king-of-the-hill-10km-run-2013

Best of luck to everyone.

• Advertisement

Back up the mountain today for the first time since last years event. Up and down the tourist path, will leave the actual assent for another day. Took my time both going up, and down (although already starting to pick my route for the way down), opefully race day is a bit cooler though.

Advertisement