Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let me/us be your warrior(s). AKA 'The Warriors Run 2013 Thread'

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

For anyone stuck for suitable training options, Ive a few training sessions that worked for me well in recent hill races and a few more which ill post here to give people a few ideas for key session: (4 weeks to go!).

If the objective is just to get around.

Id recommend

1. extending your weekly long run up until the time you think it wil take to complete the race and
    2. having a run combining some road running, with walking up the mountain running, down, with more road running after.

For more advanced runners looking to improve times heres some options:

1. Hill sessions---Threadmill:

Incline 10' minimum.

week 1: 7 x 2 mins with 90 s rest.
    week 2: 6 x 3 mins with 90 s rest.
    week 3: 20 mins continuous up.

Effort level. If your life depended on it youd manage one more rep, or a 2-3 mins more.

Makes legs very strong for duration of race. Improves climbing endurance, and road speed greatly due to taking longer more powerful strides.

2. Tempo sessions:

week1: 2 x 10 mins hardish on hilly road ( 2 mins rest) finish with 5 x 30 secs fast (30 sec rest)
    week 2: 2 x 15 mins hardish on hilly road ( 3 mins rest) finish with 5 x 30 secs fast (30 sec rest)
    week 3: 2 x 15, 1 x10 hardish on hilly road (rest, 3 mins, 2 mins) finish with 5 x 30 secs fast (30 sec rest)

Makes body used to working for extended periods of time at around race pace.
    Race route would be perfect.

3. Most importantly-Combo sessions: (use as long run)

Long runs based on warriors run route (with old climb and descent). Throw in roughly 5 min medium hard sections with 3 minute jogs. Make sure to get transitions into the 5 min harder sections.

Transitions would be.

Any section with a significant change of gradient or surface.

Build over 3 weeks. The 5 minute sections after the mountain and before it are most important. E.G In week one you could take the mountain steady.

Sugegstions:

Week 1: warriors route: 2 hard 5 min sections before and 4 after mountain making sure to include transitions.

Week2 : Warriors route + 15 mins. Add extra 15 mins easy before start. Add 5 minute sections to mountain.

Week3 : Warriors route: 10 minutes warmup: Then 5 min 3 mins all the way back to strandhill. Dont do this one within 8 days of the race.

Make sure your legs feel fast. To do this run 10 x 100m relaxed but fast at the end of any easy run once a week.

Apart from sessions all other running should be easy.

Id reckon alternating 2 out of those 3 sessions a week with a third fast flat session e.g 12 x 400s or 8 x 1000s

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mountain Loop run in the morning. Should be a good test and indicator for the main event.

Mixed feelings about this. Still unsure if the PB will be got in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Mountain Loop run in the morning. Should be a good test and indicator for the main event.

Mixed feelings about this. Still unsure if the PB will be got in a few weeks.

Hey Mint Sauce, I was wondering if you could give me some advice. It's my first time doing the Warriors Run. I began running in January to actually do this race. But I seem to be suffering from platellar tendonitis. I recently started doing alot of resistance training as well as including the mountain loop every week in my running. I've been very slack with the running the last 2 months but I am well able for the loop.
    I was planning on running tomorrow but I really don't want to hurt myself further. The pain isn't with me during the run, only after. The last section of the run right before you come down on to the Strandhill Rd is absolutely killer on my knee though. I'm guessing that's helped with the injury. That pounding down hill.

I really don't want to do more damage before the actual run.
    Any tips or advice would be so amazing and very much appreciated!

Probably worse person to ask :D

Have you ran the whole course yet, or at least the loop a few times, if so you are probably not doing to bad. They really say if you are injured or unwell, you should really consider weather to run or not as could set you back.

Being pain free during the event could be adrinaline or the joints being warmed up or loose. That seems to be the same with me any way, have been attmpting to warm down more to deal with this. Although my training has not been great for this, earlier events in the year might be what carries me through at the mo.

Long and sometimes unsocial hours at work has had an effect on training compared to previous years, although with 3 weeks to go, still time to prepare.

Good turn out today for the Glen Road/Mountain Loop 8 mile, also a good test for the Warriors Run.

Need to get in a few more miles on the hills, but happy with todays time, and feeling positive for the Main Event in 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

A spreadsheet attached with various distances of each race section, elevation/distance change between points referenced on a map.

Getting close now!

Unfortunately Wont be able to paticipate so have an entry to transfer if anyone needs it? PM me. Thks

Thanks for all your input T Runner.

Sorry you wont be there.

Me, looks like I'm just gonna go for it this year. Have a few niggles since the 8 mile loop, only been out a few times, resting up, but still looking forward to it.

Hope the legs hold, control my pace to the mountain, try and pick up a few places going up, and then just gun down to the car park, and see what happens from there.

Have signed up for the Athlone Half in Septmeber so want to have the legs in some sort of shape for that as well.

Just after seeing some rain forcast for tomorrow.

Be carefull out there folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angrykoala

BRING ON THE MOUNTAIN !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Just after seeing some rain forcast for tomorrow.

Be carefull out there folks.

It shouldn't be a bad day. A few showers possible but overall it should be dry.

Knockarea still could be slippy after the few showers it has made today though.

Best of luck to anyone doing it :)

rhonin wrote: »
    It shouldn't be a bad day. A few showers possible but overall it should be dry.

Knockarea still could be slippy after the few showers it has made today though.

Best of luck to anyone doing it :)

Knockarea could be slippy if it had not rained for a month.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Knockarea could be slippy if it had not rained for a month.

:D

True :D

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Best of luck to everyone running today.without a doubt the Mountain will be slippy so going to take it handy on way down and go all out for the last four mile on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

emmett dunleavy was in second at st annes, i would assume he held on for silver. the lead group of three was way ahead of the rest of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

promethius wrote: »
    emmett dunleavy was in second at st annes, i would assume he held on for silver. the lead group of three was way ahead of the rest of the field.

The winner did it in 52:49 and emmet dunleavy did it in 54 something for second place
    In

That was bloody tough this year!! Just beat last years time, but no new PB, possibly lost that coming down the mountain.

The assent was not to bad, and flew down the top section coming down, but had to pull in a coming down the bottom section a couple times after getting a few cramps and a feeling of nausea, ended up taking it slower after that, meaning a decent of about 8 minutes, compared to about 5 for my first year, and 6 last year.

Once back on the road kept a good pace, but was just not able to recover them few minutes lost on the way down. Only had to slow to a walk for a couple of short brief moments compared to a few longer ones last year on this section as well.

Overall around 1:31:00. A run next year is yet to be decided.

Advertisement