Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to buy an inverter for my laptop

Options
  • 25-02-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all, so after a bit of research I have found that when my laptop screen went it was my inverter. only happened abouta week ago. I have a monitor connected to it at the moment so i can still use it.

My laptop screen is dead. it flickers on for a secong when I turn it on and then it goes blank. If I shine a torch at the screen and I can see windows etc there, it seems that the backlight inverter has gone.

Anyway, I want to buy one, and it seems that there are about 50 websites all promising me one - from these battery retailers etc claiming to be .co.uk when it is plainly obvious they are Chinese! anyway, I have no problem with that. just want to know if anyone here would recommend a good one of these sites that may be pretty reputable.

My model number of my laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ489E. Its about 5 years old, but I dont want to give up on it just yet! Its an american laptop model number. Not available in Europe, which brings its own problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ebay, it will be Chinese. You wont do better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

heredith wrote: »
    it seems that the backlight inverter has gone.

it is plainly obvious they are Chinese! anyway

Backlight and inverter are two different parts, a function of the inverter is to control the backlight. The problem could also be caused by a dead backlight.

I'd say nearly every single part of your laptop was made in Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Patrick 1

I've replaced my inverter myself, bought it in from China, when ordering pay particular attention to buying the correct type, as inverters can have 1, 2 or 4 lamps in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 heredith

thanks all.

I suppose what I was getting at is - is there a way of verifying a decent website for procuring the inverter.

I am fairly confident it is the inverter given the symptoms and my reading of it online etc. at any rate - it is the cheaper of the two options.

As far as purchasing the correct inverter, I am just inputting my model number and getting about fifty different websites all claiming to have the inverter... the prices are ranging from 20 Euro to 70 Euro... I dont mind paying what I need to but its just so varied that I dont know if any of them are scammers or are honest. I dont have a problem with buying from China... what bothers me is the "hey look! We are English! Buy from us!"

Anyway, so ... bottom line is, other than Ebay, is there any other reputable place that I should be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This will let you know if websites are good or bad http://www.mywot.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Patrick 1

I bought mine off ebay from a particular seller a few months back, I have it book marked on the big PC but if you give me about 3 hours or so I'll toss up a link.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Another +1 for ebay, at least paypal offer a guarantee through that, outside of ebay it's not as efficient I've found

Nick

Advertisement