Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europcar 3DTri Triathlon (formerly Fingal Sprint Tri)

Options
  • 25-02-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Does anyone know when entry for this event will be available? Or has it already sold out? There's no information on the website and the contact form doesn't appear to be working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

kiwster wrote: »
    Does anyone know when entry for this event will be available? Or has it already sold out? There's no information on the website and the contact form doesn't appear to be working.

Entry has not yet opened but it is hoped that this will happen sometime in early March.

I'll let you all know when it does. Any questions I should be able to help in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

BTH wrote: »

Entry has not yet opened but it is hoped that this will happen sometime in early March.

I'll let you all know when it does. Any questions I should be able to help in the meantime.

Thanks BTH.

Entry opens for this tomorrow on the TI website. Gardai are confirmed, which has been the main concern of last for RDs up and down the country. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Could I suggest more signage put up along the road heading to the NAC on the cycle route. As the Gardaí stop the traffic to allow the competitors to exit the NAC (fantastic stuff) it will invariably lead to a tailback of cars. Last year one of the car pulled into the bus lane right in front of me nearly taking me out as she tried to pull a fast one. And speaking to others from club it happened to them also.

I know driver behaviour is beyond your control but a few more signs might help. A well run race on all other aspects. See you there again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Will they have to move transition? Isn't the grass all dug up around the NAC at the minute?

• Advertisement

Could I suggest more signage put up along the road heading to the NAC on the cycle route. As the Gardaí stop the traffic to allow the competitors to exit the NAC (fantastic stuff) it will invariably lead to a tailback of cars. Last year one of the car pulled into the bus lane right in front of me nearly taking me out as she tried to pull a fast one. And speaking to others from club it happened to them also.

I know driver behaviour is beyond your control but a few more signs might help. A well run race on all other aspects. See you there again this year.

I will certainly put this to the race committee and they'll do what they can. Its a busy road, and Dublin drivers are not the most patient lot at the best of times. They also don't seem to believe in rear-view-mirrors...
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Will they have to move transition? Isn't the grass all dug up around the NAC at the minute?

I'm not sure what is happening with transition (I'm not on the race committee), the RD is well aware of the works going on around the NAC at present, and I'm sure there will be a plan and a contingency plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Does this usually sell out fast? I know a few people starting off who are interested and it'd be a shame for them to miss it.

Basster wrote: »
    Does this usually sell out fast? I know a few people starting off who are interested and it'd be a shame for them to miss it.

Doesn't tend to sell out quick, no.

Anybody know what time this opens?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

This is showing up as "No more places available" on Triathlon Ireland website. It's not already sold out is it?

• Advertisement

kiwster wrote: »
    This is showing up as "No more places available" on Triathlon Ireland website. It's not already sold out is it?

Ah here! What time did it go live? I was on since 8:50 hitting F5 for ages.

Ah here! What time did it go live? I was on since 8:50 hitting F5 for ages.

Its open now. Not sure what was going on (but lets just blame TI :D), but its open on the TI website now.

BTH wrote: »
    Its open now. Not sure what was going on (but lets just blame TI :D), but its open on the TI website now.

Sweet, I'm in. It still says 10 places left for relay on the TI calendar, which I took to mean there were only relay slots left.

I'm registered now and all is well. This one is on my doorstep so really didn't want to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Just signed up for this now. Seems to be still accepting individual entries anyway.

Just updating the thread title, fancy new race sponsors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Also signed up to this, first triathlon, excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Also a first timer and signed up for it.. Didn't think this was a runner this year so I resigned myself to going to athy got a wetsuit and all, glad it is though as the suit don't fit... Now gotta hope I can manage a reasonable time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Can anyone remember how much it was to enter this? I'm selling on my place & can't remember how much it cost.

Pretty sure it was 45 euro, I might know someone interested in the place if you haven't got anyone to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Yeah it was €45 entry.

This is my first triathlon. Really looking forward to it. I am unsure at how my times are compared to others as I have never done one before!

For me I would be looking at 13:30 for the swim, 44:00 - 45:00 for the cycle and around 23:30 for the run. How would that generally fare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Yeah it was €45 entry.

This is my first triathlon. Really looking forward to it. I am unsure at how my times are compared to others as I have never done one before!

For me I would be looking at 13:30 for the swim, 44:00 - 45:00 for the cycle and around 23:30 for the run. How would that generally fare?

About mid pack for a race this size.

joey100 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was 45 euro, I might know someone interested in the place if you haven't got anyone to buy it.

Thanks for that.

No takers from my club. Anybody here interested in the place?

If race transfers are still available I think I know someone looking for an entry.

joey100 wrote: »
    If race transfers are still available I think I know someone looking for an entry.

I got an reply from the race director on Saturday saying transfers are still available. I have to provide them with their details; name, address, phone number, 750m swim estimate, TI number and email address.

I would imagine transfers will only be for a day or two more though.
    Sure ask your friend and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Email from organisers...
    "
    All,

Following a recent directive from the Garda National Traffic Bureau in Garda Headquarters regarding races involving cycling on open roads we have had to make some late adjustments to the race. These adjustments require that we move the race start from 10am to 8am and the bike leg to be shortened to approximately 15km. The Kids aquathlon will move from an 8am start to 10:45am start. While the changes, and late notice, are not ideal we feel these changes are the best option available in the limited time. We looked at obtaining a road closure, alternate location, various alternative race formats, postponing or even cancelling the race.

We deeply regret the situation and we apologise for any inconvenience/disappointment this may cause you. However, as I mentioned, we think this is a best alternative option, and certainly better then cancelling the race. Unfortunately, as this only became clear in the last week, this had left us with very little time to solve the problem. We did enlist the assistance of the local Gardai, Triathlon Ireland, Cycling Ireland, Irish High Performance Swim squad, Irish Sports Council, Fingal County Council, local politicians and others in reaching the accommodation we have in the very short time available to us and appreciate their help greatly.

Further schedule and race details will go up on the race website over the next couple of days (http://fingalsprint.3dtri.com/).

See you on Sunday 19th May and thank you in advance for your support.

Regards,
    The Europcar 3DTri Sprint Triathlon Organising Committee
    "

I heard rumours about problems with the bike. I live in the area and there are ongoing road works where a new road layout was originally due to open this weekend. This hardly helped as with the additional Garda situation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

They did well to pull this back and get the race back on. Cannot have been easy.

Alot of cycling races cancelled too. Looks like the new Garda directive could cause trouble. Best schedule some running races into the calendar!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Well done to all involved in the rejig, not an easy task.

Its seems to be getting more difficult all round to organise races and fair play to those who stick to their guns and look for the solutions.

Does anyone have more info about the Garda directive?

Well done to all involved in the rejig, not an easy task.

Its seems to be getting more difficult all round to organise races and fair play to those who stick to their guns and look for the solutions.

Does anyone have more info about the Garda directive?

+1, is it an overtime issue or do the race organisers have increased obligations, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

+1, is it an overtime issue or do the race organisers have increased obligations, or something else?

AFAIK it is not an overtime issue, a resourcing issue or anything of the sort.

I think its probably worth breaking out to a new thread as no point in hogging the race one!

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    AFAIK it is not an overtime issue, a resourcing issue or anything of the sort.

I think its probably worth breaking out to a new thread as no point in hogging the race one!

I'm hesitant to start a new thread on the matter as we want to allow TI CI etc try and deal with it without making a major issue out of it. The problem experienced here was the same issue that Sword CC are currently having with their club league. A directive has come down from somewhere to only allow bike racing on closed roads, giving nobody enough time to arrange closed roads. There are any number of people fighting to have this directive rescinded before it become a nationwide problem and affects races across the country.

Before we start to throw our toys out of the pram on this can we allow the NGBs the time to try and sort this before it spreads. We are having a triathlon on Sunday, albeit at an earlier time and a shortened bike, but trust me when I say this is an infinitely better situation than the one we faced as late as Sunday evening.

Advertisement