Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europcar 3DTri Triathlon (formerly Fingal Sprint Tri)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I had a shocking time trial last week anyway so I shouldn't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

BTH wrote: »
    A directive has come down from somewhere to only allow bike racing on closed roads.

Anyone have a link for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Anyone have a link for this?

I don't think the Gardai are in the habit of making internal communication public.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Sorry, I assumed that as this was a directive (and something that could potentially be rescinded) that it would have to be published somewhere. Surely some legislation should exist somewhere as to acceptable circumstances for racing on open/closed roads?

Or am I just being wildly optimistic..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

Why shorten from 20k to 15k... Where is the logic. Is 15k going to be the new sprint distance on open roads in Ireland. The road out at Kilbride is not affected by works. An extra 2.5k of is hardly going to matter much. Top guys will probably take more chances now. Has the bike course changed altogether? I think this is a great race btw and am still looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

bombidal wrote: »
    Why shorten from 20k to 15k... Where is the logic. Is 15k going to be the new sprint distance on open roads in Ireland. The road out at Kilbride is not affected by works. An extra 2.5k of is hardly going to matter much. Top guys will probably take more chances now. Has the bike course changed altogether? I think this is a great race btw and am still looking forward to it.

The extra 2.5km brings the course into county Meath, which would involve negotiating with another set of Gardai and another county council. We've only know about this problem 10days, we've had very little time to deal with this. It's a miracle there's a bike leg at all. You refer to road works. This has absolutely nothing to do with road works.

I hope people can still enjoy the race on Sunday and appreciate the monumental amount of work the race director has put in this last week to save this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Shouldn't broadcast here but I'm glad the cycle was reduced.. Massively overweight I decided to do a tri, swim I'll be ok with, cycle won't be setting records but ill get thru it as with and more so the run...
    Was and still am worried about the whole event but a lot less so since this morning...
    Fair play to those involved, can't have been easy on you but at least it goes ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

BohToffee wrote: »
    Shouldn't broadcast here but I'm glad the cycle was reduced.. Massively overweight I decided to do a tri, swim I'll be ok with, cycle won't be setting records but ill get thru it as with and more so the run...
    Was and still am worried about the whole event but a lot less so since this morning...
    Fair play to those involved, can't have been easy on you but at least it goes ahead...

I'm with you on this! Please see my other post "am I crazy". Due to injury and thus lack of training I was thinking of not doing this race. I think the 5km shortening will have given me the extra boost! See you guys Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

So is it ok or ill advised to go training tomorrow morning in advance of Sunday's race? I mainly want to get one last half hour swim session in cos that is my main worry but then again I don't want to just tire myself out.

I wouldn't find trying out the 15 km bike route too. Is all this going to be counter productive 36 hours before the race?

Thanks and good luck to all the participants in Sunday!

Edit - just did a lot of reading and the consensus seems to be to stop training two days before hand with maybe a short "break sweat" session the day before. Though its not like I've being tapering off and I haven't being doing any combined brick training (rookie mistake?!)

Right, most importantly, bed time now!

This link was good for any other first timers : https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=360&ei=cV2VUevbK4OK7AaXzYG4Cg&usg=AFQjCNHxN19kEoK52JVu3511XZyuvp9o7w&sig2=dN9DFN83ScKG-fGw9fJ3SQ

I reckon if you don't go hell for leather at a swim tomorrow you should be ok... I'm gonna try a short bike spin on Saturday... Possibly a jog tomorrow, kind of neglected the swim in the last couple of weeks..
    Oh what have I let myself in for??

• Advertisement

BohToffee wrote: »
    I reckon if you don't go hell for leather at a swim tomorrow you should be ok... I'm gonna try a short bike spin on Saturday... Possibly a jog tomorrow, kind of neglected the swim in the last couple of weeks..
    Oh what have I let myself in for??

Well i might alright but the main thing I got from my subsequent online research ( see edited OP) is sleep and lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Guys you'll be fine.

You have to remember that the race is going to be a one to two hours maximum for a newbie and you'll have been doing training sessions of this length and possibly longer on the bike. You will also have weekly total hours of 10-15 hours done across all the sports.

There will be no problem to you doing light workouts today or tomorrow. Cycling the course (easy) will do you no harm either. A recce of the course will always give you a picture of where you need to save effort for or where you can put the hammer down.

Don't forget to warmup on the day too & relax, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

You will also have weekly total hours of 10-15 hours doen across all the sports.

Wow things have really changed since I was a newbie. 15 hrs per week training for your first SD whilst not aiming for a podium.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Wow things have really changed since I was a newbie. 15 hrs per week training for your first SD whilst not aiming for a podium.

Trust me - they haven't changed that much....personally it's more like 5 hours a week. I may learn some hard lessons on Sunday! :)

This may be a stupid question!

We are to wear our number on back for bike and front for run. I do not have a race belt so just wondering entrants are provided with 2 race numbers (so that I can have them pre-pinned) or what do people do without a race belt?

Thanks!

JohnBee wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question!

We are to wear our number on back for bike and front for run. I do not have a race belt so just wondering entrants are provided with 2 race numbers (so that I can have them pre-pinned) or what do people do without a race belt?

Thanks!

Usually you will be provided with two numbers and I presume that will be the case this weekend.

BTH wrote: »
    Usually you will be provided with two numbers and I presume that will be the case this weekend.

Can anyone else verify this? Thanks!

JohnBee wrote: »
    Can anyone else verify this? Thanks!

Just had this confirmed this second. RD is stalking this thread. Don't know why he doesn't post himself, I know he has a log in that he has used in previous swords club league threads! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anotherrunner

Would anyone consider just wearing runners and toe straps for such a short cycle or is that just crazyness? On a 15K cycle, the time spent slipping into shoes is potentially more than the benefit of carbon-soles plus cleats?

Would make for a very quick T2 (rack bike and go) plus you'd be quicker running into T2 and out of T1 (depends on mounting lines etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Would anyone consider just wearing runners and toe straps for such a short cycle or is that just crazyness? On a 15K cycle, the time spent slipping into shoes is potentially more than the benefit of carbon-soles plus cleats?

Would make for a very quick T2 (rack bike and go) plus you'd be quicker running into T2 and out of T1 (depends on mounting lines etc).

Hey, thats cheating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I would suggest keep with whatever you've trained in, the 'feel' will be completely different with toe straps. And fumbling around transition is half the fun. What else are you going to blame if the race didn't go to plan?
    'I'd gave been grand, but really lost time in T2'... etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Just back from the race and would like to say fair play to 3D on what was a great morning. The sun came out and everything. With all the upset coming into the race it turned out great in the end, fair play lads, keep up the good work. Thouroughly enjoyed it!

unichall wrote: »
    Just back from the race and would like to say fair play to 3D on what was a great morning. The sun came out and everything. With all the upset coming into the race it turned out great in the end, fair play lads, keep up the good work. Thouroughly enjoyed it!

+1. Now back to sleep... Great morning though.. I'd like to add thanks to all the athletes who were most encouraging on the run especially when I found the well empty!!!

My first race!

Great race and we'll organised. Ditto to those who gave me a boost when the tank was empty during the run.

During the run I felt like "Omg this is terrible, this ain't fun at all".

Now my memory has already failed and I'm thinking of next race!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

really enjoyed this race. Marshals were great as usual. Credit to 3D. Like the new transition and run course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It was my first Triathlon and I really enjoyed it. It was well organised.

Most importantly I really enjoyed it and would love to do another one. I found out so much by doing it.

My times which we conveniently texted to me were:

Swim 12:54
    T1 2:50
    Bike 30:40
    T2 0:50
    Run 26:01

I am disappointed with my run time, I was totally knackered after getting off the bike!

Now which one to do next?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

bikeman1 wrote: »
    It was my first Triathlon and I really enjoyed it. It was well organised.

Most importantly I really enjoyed it and would love to do another one. I found out so much by doing it.

My times which we conveniently texted to me were:

Swim 12:54
    T1 2:50
    Bike 30:40
    T2 0:50
    Run 26:01

I am disappointed with my run time, I was totally knackered after getting off the bike!

Now which one to do next?!

http://www.pulsetri.com/club-races/cycleways-pulse-triathlon-2013/

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ooh. I had to pull out of Fingal at the very last minute. May be tempted to do this instead. I like the description of the course but haven't done any Open Water swimming this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anotherrunner

First time doing this and really impressed at the organisation and quality of the event, especially given the obstacles the club had to overcome to allow the race to take place at all.

Special mention would have to go to the main swim marshall - there was a really good relaxed vibe getting in the water and less aggressive overtaking than in other pool races I've done.

17m swim, 26m cycle and 21m run - feels like I'm swimming in treacle and cycling on a electric bike. I was nearly 200th out of the pool and finished in top 50 - this swimming lark better start improving soon or I'll be moving to duathlon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement