Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody using 22shorts with an explicitly designed firearm?

Options
  • 25-02-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I am wondering in gallery guns and indoor range rifles are specifically chambered for these uncommon rounds! I'm interested in obtaining such a barrels and have placed an add on this site to deal with any potential s/h offerings! So please don't make offers here!

I would however like to here if people are using 22shorts and if so are you simply feeding them into a 22lr chambering or does anyone have a firearm that is specifically set up for shorts only!

I know it's a long shot but I won't find out if I don't ask!

Also of possible interest to me a custom barrels which might be obtained here in Ireland but I'm sure that path comes from outside the state and is going to be complicated to the uninitiated! Lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

You see a lot of the old target pistols chambered in the .22short , but there was a rule change and they are no longer used, its all .22lr now afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

rowa wrote: »
    You see a lot of the old target pistols chambered in the .22short , but there was a rule change and they are no longer used, its all .22lr now afaik.

True - Revision in 2005. The latter restricted the event to sports pistols, thereby banning .22 short cartridges as well as encircling grips and low trigger-pull weight. This caused a decline in results: the pre-2005 world record was 597, while the present world record is 592.
    Instead of dropping specialized rapid fire pistols, manufacturers designed new pistols, such as the Walther SSP, conforming to the standard pistol requirements, but optimized for the rapid fire event.

Both my wife and I shot RF - me with a FAS and Walther OSP, she with a Haemmerli.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Zxthinger wrote: »

Also of possible interest to me a custom barrels which might be obtained here in Ireland but I'm sure that path comes from outside the state and is going to be complicated to the uninitiated! Lol

any .22 barrel can be chambered for .22 shorts all you need is a .22 chamber reamer and a gun smith with a lathe and some knowledge.

Many older .22 rimfire rifles and carbines would happily take a mixture of .22 Short, .22 Long and .22 Long Rifle, like our .22 Browning take-down rifle and Winchester pump-action gallery rifle.

My Walther Model 1, a semi-auto or bolt-action, will shoot all three in any order you care to load them.

Mind you, what's the availability of .22 Short ammunition in Ireland? Here I truly wouldn't know where to look - nobody uses it any more.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I have'nt seen them in a good while the dealer i know who would get them in cant so just gets in the cb longs they are a great round.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rowa wrote: »

On top of that, they're not legally licencable in Ireland anymore as they're a restricted short firearm. Yet another accidental oversight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cestleguerre

juice1304 wrote: »
    I have'nt seen them in a good while the dealer i know who would get them in cant so just gets in the cb longs they are a great round.:)

Sorry to derail the thread ...................What dealer has the CB longs?Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The shorts are hard to get, i had a box and fired them out of the webley revolver and loved them, extremely quiet and very accurate. I'd buy more if i could get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

i have a box i inherited a while back,was thinking of using them on rats for fun,what ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Ok I should have made my op a little clearer. I'm looking for a rifle barrel with a slower twist than 1-16!
    22short rifle barrels were typically cut with a 1-18 to 1-20 rate of twist??

Why do I fancy one of the barrels??

Well I believe that the shorter bullet heads such as those found in the hyper velocity range are not being stablised correctly in the 1-16 barrels.

It seems that the longer slower 40grain pills are fine but the shorter, lighter and faster rounds are being over stabilised fir want of a better phrase.

According to most twist rate calculations in the public domain it is the bullet length that sets the bar!!

Shorter rounds are stabilised with a lower twist!

So as such it's the twist rate that I'm after and this can't be solved by chambering alone.

I prob won't be able to obtain such a barrel here but if I did I would have it fitted and chamber twice.
    Once to view the results on Cci stingers with there longer than usaual nickel case and one to suit all other standard length cases and then test with other hyper velocity ammo!

However unlikely I am to obtain one I will simply keep an eye open.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You are referring to the bearing surface of the round?

No experience with it in .22, but in .308 i found certain bullets, such as 155 Lapua Scenar, would stabilise sufficiently in a 1:10 barrel due to the longer bearing surface of the 155, evn though the "books" say use a 1:12 or 1:13. Compared to other 155s it was longer, and when compared to other bullets such as 175, 180, 185 gr is was almost the same length in terms of surface area as opposed to length. So weight plays a part in the performance of the bullet, but it's length that is key.

Have you considered just ordering in a barrel?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I used to hunt rabbits with my bolt action Anchutz using short solid ammo.It was perfect for the job and didn't need a moderator.However, they are impossible to get now, unless anybody knows an outlet. ?

Depending on what rifle the OP has in the first place, a new barrel with a slower twist might just cost the same as a complete new rifle.

I'll give BB a cal and see what they have to say - might be interesting to say the least, although I'm sure that an Irish gunsmith could do the job too with a Walther barrel or similar.

The subject interests me, as well, as we have an old Browning semi-auto that is marked on the barrel for .22 Short, 22 Long and .22 Long Rifle.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Lijia barrels do a 1/17 Rimfire barrel!
    But export licence paper work is 350$ before you pay for the barrel and then you have to add fitting cost here and the tax man will be also be looking for his share!!
    Yes you would not see money going!

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/rimfire_lilja_rifle_barrels.htm#GUNSMITH

OKaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

I have just come off the phone from talking to Border Barrels, and the conversation was very equable, if not very useful to the OP.

1. Nobody actually MAKES an off-the-shelf .22 rimfire barrel with such a slow twist - it would have to be a cut barrel rather than button-rifled.

2. Border Barrels accept no responsiblity for the efficacy or otherwise of the finished product.

3. Border Barrels are prepared to cut-rifle and chamber a barrel in this calibre and breeching, on a CZ rifle, for the sum of £689.00 including VAT and proofing.

And to the gentleman to whom I spoke, my thanks for listening to what must seem to have been a very odd request. To his great credit, he did not offer an opinion of any kind.

@OP - Sir, you are wasting your time. In a world where such things are possible, it would be a plan to obtain an old [read VERY old] pump-action Winchester or Rossi designed to shoot ALL the .22 rimfire cartridges, like my old Browning semi, and have a gunsmith change the barrels one for another.

However, if you are willing to pay, you now have one of the finest barrel-making and precision rifle building companies on the planet who will do it for you.

tac

Advertisement