Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Test in Tallaght

• 25-02-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

My bike test is coming up in Tallaght next week. Just wondering if anyone has taken their test in Tallaght recently, and if so, are there any predefined routes I should be practicing on :D. I found this route map on Biker.ie but I guess it's out of date at this stage (2009). Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Best advice I can give you is:

Get a pre-test lesson from a good instructor a few days before your test.

You might have left it a bit late, but if it was me, I would still ring a few instructors to see if there is anyone who could fit me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Thanks for the reply, I did a pre-test with Peter from Aaron rider training - brilliant instructor. Just wanted to practice around the relevant roads in the mean time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Someone posted this as the route for the car test they did in Tallaght, that was just before christmas
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5751336
    No idea if they use the same route for the car and bike though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Hope you dont get rush hour up there its like Vietnam ffs....good luck mate Id say you will ace it TBH.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Someone posted this as the route for the car test they did in Tallaght, that was just before christmas
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5751336
    No idea if they use the same route for the car and bike though.

Thanks I'll do a few runs that way too, it would be better down the Tymon Park way as there is more of a flow to the roads down there :D

• Advertisement

Cheers Wonda that's what I'm hoping for! My test is half way through lunch hour so it'll probably be the Vietnam-experience alright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I did my test there, maybe get the recommended pre test and, I also got on the bike and drove around, my instructor pointed out one place of note.

If you are directed this way,
    where greenhills road meets the tallaght bypass (N81)
    If turning left onto the bypass (going towards town), just before the pedestrian bridge,
    STOP is painted on the road, there was no sign when I did it and still dont think one is there.
    Its very clear painted on the road in google maps, I dont recal it being so new looking when I was doing the test
    Its on google maps but it seems like it should be a yield, my instructor took me that way to see if Id notice.

otherwise traffic is ok around there, I drove up and down a few main roads to see what and where the speedlimit signs are.
    I think lunch could be a better time than 4-5.

Sound Merch thanks for the tip, I know the exact spot you are talking about, that could easily catch you out! From there did you turn left at the next roundabout and back towards balrothery, by tymon north park etc? I hope my tester isn't reading this lol :D

Thanks I'll do a few runs that way too, it would be better down the Tymon Park way as there is more of a flow to the roads down there :D

I've to do my car test there in a few weeks, that route looks ok, hoping i get it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Sound Merch thanks for the tip, I know the exact spot you are talking about, that could easily catch you out! From there did you turn left at the next roundabout and back towards balrothery, by tymon north park etc? I hope my tester isn't reading this lol :D

I didnt go that way on my test, but I was told it can be on the test route.
    I did that on my pre test lesson a few days before, I did go left and left again but went straight back up to Tallaght village direction before turning right back towards Greenhills rd.
    tbh, I cant recal exactly where I went.

I drove around main rds there one evening (summer) near the test centre to familiarise myself with lanes and speed limits/where the signs are.
    The speed limits correspond to the rd sizes/types and I got the from the RoTR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

There are a few different route they take. Your best bet it to get a lesson or two with an instructor and they'll cover the routes with you. They also know the testers favourite places to catch people out.

Then get yourself onto google maps street view and memorise the speed limits on each road as it's difficult to spot the speed signs on some of the roads due to overgrown foliage.

I also did my cage test in Tallaght when I was 18....if I remember correctly it was not that bad, but then again the congestion would not have been as bad 15yrs ago.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I also did my cage test in Tallaght when I was 18....if I remember correctly it was not that bad, but then again the congestion would not have been as bad 15yrs ago.
    Congestion can be good. My brother did his car test in Navan about 15 years ago. He said he was stuck in traffic not moving for almost the whole time. Ended going back to the test centre without covering half the stuff!

Congestion can be good. My brother did his car test in Navan about 15 years ago. He said he was stuck in traffic not moving for almost the whole time. Ended going back to the test centre without covering half the stuff!

Would prefer not to have it on a bike all the same....too much observation to be getting on with even while stationary, not to mention the slow speed control will have to be spot on and getting the correct leg down when stopping etc etc.

You need to be like an owl with the lifesavers ffs.

Grand in a car, but not for a bike test.

Passed my test today lads thanks for all the tips and advice!!! :D I'll stick up the route map when I get a chance, might come in handy for anyone doing their test in Tallaght too in coming weeks. The practice and pre-test defo paid off, now it's time to go bike shopping :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Passed my test today lads thanks for all the tips and advice!!! :D I'll stick up the route map when I get a chance, might come in handy for anyone doing their test in Tallaght too in coming weeks. The practice and pre-test defo paid off, now it's time to go bike shopping :D

Well done man. .congrats.
    Did u do it on your own bike ? Any hassle with the mini indicators?

Thanks man, yeah I did it on my own bike and had no hassle with the mini indicators at all, was surprised! I also have mini LEDs on the front so as long as they are working correctly you should be OK. Then again it could vary with different examiners, the examiner for my test followed me on a bike :D When is your test coming up, best of luck!

Thanks man, yeah I did it on my own bike and had no hassle with the mini indicators at all, was surprised! I also have mini LEDs on the front so as long as they are working correctly you should be OK. Then again it could vary with different examiners, the examiner for my test followed me on a bike :D When is your test coming up, best of luck!

Yeah I think the examiners will be on bikes from now on. Ill be doing mine next month. Did everything go to plan or did u have any slip ups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

Congrats, feels good when you get it out of the way
    The tester in mine followed me in a car, that was only last year, I'm still chipping away at the 2 year restriction.
    Although I havent even been on the bike since end of last year, its been locked up in the shed since then,
    I need to get out on the bike!

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Yeah I think the examiners will be on bikes from now on. Ill be doing mine next month. Did everything go to plan or did u have any slip ups?

Everything went to plan thankfully! The roads were a bit busy which actually worked in my favour as it gave me more time to think and complete all of the necessary checks required at junctions etc. The road where we did the U turn was huge, it really pays of to practice in as tight a road as possible. The overtake went well and also the emergency slow down. I had one moment in the Belgard heights housing estate where I was moving out to avoid a parked car before a corner and a guy in another car came flying around the corner so I pulled in to avoid the hazard. As my bike instructor told me, the most important person on the day of your test is other road users, they can make it or break it for you!

• Advertisement

Nice one, not many better feelings than driving home from the test centre after passing your driving test! Stick up the route map if you can, im interested in seeing it!

Hornswaggle,

I know you had mini led indicators and a tail tidy- did you have a number plate light and a reflector ,? And what size plates? Just getting my bike in shape for the test so would be interested to know, thanks.

Nice one, not many better feelings than driving home from the test centre after passing your driving test! Stick up the route map if you can, im interested in seeing it!

Exactly I was grinning for the rest of the eveing after the test, it's the best feeling to finally have it out of the way. Sorry for the delay in getting the route map up, I have it done on Google Maps just need to upload it!

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hornswaggle,

I know you had mini led indicators and a tail tidy- did you have a number plate light and a reflector ,? And what size plates? Just getting my bike in shape for the test so would be interested to know, thanks.

I had a legal size plate for the test but did not have a number plate light. Before doing the test I drilled a small hole in the edge of my number plate and bolted a bicycle reflector on as I didn't have one of them, I reckon it's worth doing to limit your chances of being turned away.

Clicke here to see a very rough map that I have put together of my test route.

Follow the alphabet from A through to N for the map. POints of interest are

D - Emergency Overtake
    E- U-turn
    F- Emergency Slow Down from 55km/h to 25km/h
    I Slow Speed Riding

If you have any questions let me know! Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Horns, your a ledge for putting that map up. Thanks.

Knew you would ace that mate, sure you were flying the day you were with us on the spins. But its a great feeling when you pass it really is...WELL DONE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Good stuff. The day after I passed my test I was on the ferry to England to pick up a new bike :cool:

Make sure you hand the slip in straight away....;)

• Advertisement

Horns, your a ledge for putting that map up. Thanks.

No problem at all I hope it helps someone out!

Advertisement