Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Test in Tallaght

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Good stuff. The day after I passed my test I was on the ferry to England to pick up a new bike :cool:

Ha I was on Done Deal the day I passed my test :D Hopefully picking up a SS600 in two days time!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Knew you would ace that mate, sure you were flying the day you were with us on the spins. But its a great feeling when you pass it really is...WELL DONE!

Cheers Wonda it really is a relief to have it out of the way! That was a great spin out that day, will have to head out on another one with yous soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 es49er

Thanks for the great info!

Will be taking my test soon as well.

Just a quick questions, what do you mean by Emergency Overtake?
    Is that maneuver known by another name?

Thanks

E-
    Clicke here to see a very rough map that I have put together of my test route.

Follow the alphabet from A through to N for the map. POints of interest are

D - Emergency Overtake
    E- U-turn
    F- Emergency Slow Down from 55km/h to 25km/h
    I Slow Speed Riding

If you have any questions let me know! Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

es49er wrote: »
    Thanks for the great info!

Will be taking my test soon as well.

Just a quick questions, what do you mean by Emergency Overtake?
    Is that maneuver known by another name?

Thanks

E-

The emergency overtake is as follows, as my test:
    - You are asked to pull in by the tester
    - They'll go past you a few hundred yards up the road
    - They'll stop, put on their hazards and get out of the car
    - They'll ask you to get to 60kph and then react to the car as if it has pulled out of a side road
    - Don't forget to indicate and your lifesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 13 es49er

ahhh yes I know the one.

Thank You

E-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Fair play to ya Horns for passing your test :D

How do you know where to go when you are on test? Is there some sort of communication system in place between the tester and rider?? Or do you get told where to go before leaving the test centre? I'll have mine in a fe months too

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Fair play to ya Horns for passing your test :D

How do you know where to go when you are on test? Is there some sort of communication system in place between the tester and rider?? Or do you get told where to go before leaving the test centre? I'll have mine in a fe months too

Cheers Bandito it really is great to have it out of the way, best of luck, ride as though it is your test everyday leading up to it, this will get you in the right mindset and is the key to passing IMO. The examiner followed behind me on a bike. We had a one-way radio system to communicate, he called out instructions and directions through a mic in his helmet and I had an earpiece so I could hear him. I'm guessing if the instructor follows behind in a car, it would be a similar set-up. It was nice having the examiner on a bike as I suppose it took the edge off me and felt more like a casual spin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Hey Horns,

Just wondering if you can let me know what kind of pre-test bike inspection was done? I have one of the HID conversions on my front light and as a result I only have one main beam, no high beam..

I was wondering did they check that as it would mean I would have to change the front light.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

One basic point is that a route can vary. Some roads can become inaccessible at short notice. Also if the tester detected some flaw in roadcraft like turning left or right, he might do more of those, so he can go back to the test centre quickly for his coffee break. I've found that anywhere within a certain zone seems possible for a test route. Life savers are good when changing position on the road, but no in excess, as the most important thing is to look ahead. If you think you cannot do a turnabout/three point turn on whichever section of road, you can put your foot down part of the way through at the cost of a minor fault - the main thing is that everything has to be controlled. My bike was pretty long. Given my experience, I couldn't be sure without putting my foot down once. I think too you can ask to take the turn somewhere else, but might be pushing it. Try to keep to the correct speed, possibly a little above, as going slow tends to be the danger. Like in many places, Tallaght can have a stretch of dual carriageway, which has a speed limit of c. 60km/h (check ROTR). I'm not 100% sure about pre-tests. I used some trainer suggested on some bike boards. He said, I'd no chance. I only had a minor fault for putting my foot down doing the turnabout. His training bike was a weird banger that didn't seem to be running right. I surely passed, and got a good grade in one of those insurance tests to get cheaper insurance. Practice as often as you can along the general area. There isn't really a fixed route.

Great you passed, keep it between the hedges or whatever they say.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Hey Horns,

Just wondering if you can let me know what kind of pre-test bike inspection was done? I have one of the HID conversions on my front light and as a result I only have one main beam, no high beam..

I was wondering did they check that as it would mean I would have to change the front light.

Thanks.

As far as I can remember they checked my indicators (front and rear) and break lights were working. I can't remember having to dip/high beam the lights but I'd double check this with an instructor to be sure! As you will be doing your test during the day you won't need to dip your lights during the test. As they ask you questions about checking oil, pads, tyre wear etc, they will also be looking at the overall condition of your bike so make sure everything is in order for the big day, it gives a good impression. Bes of luck man!

• Advertisement
Advertisement