Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side gate

Options
  • 25-02-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

What size timber would I need to make a side gate on a house.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

What house.

The house I live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

How big is the gap you want to fill? How high is the gate going to be? What style?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I used spare tongue and groove that was left over from a job and some 3x2 for bracing.

How big is the gap you want to fill? How high is the gate going to be? What style?

Its about 6 to 7 feet between the house and fence. I would like the gate to be at least 6ft high

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Get someone in who makes gates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Get someone in who makes gates.

I,m sure your comments are duly noted, but not as helpful as the other posts. So please post with due regard to the question asked. thankyou:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

cena wrote: »
    Its about 6 to 7 feet between the house and fence. I would like the gate to be at least 6ft high

Maybe post a pic of the gate style that appeals to you, and that should simplify the sizing of the timbers for the posters here.:)

maybe somthing like this.

http://www.dundalkonline.ie/typo3temp/pics/ff0067aed7.jpg

put I would need a gap between the timber so the wind can go through to gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It depends on your level of skill and tools available. If you don't have facilities to machine timber you are stuck with 'stock' sized softwood. You can economize with a slatted gate but you lose privacy and at 6-7 foot span the design would have to be very robust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

This a pic of a simple side gate I made from standard planed deal stock (ex 3x 2" PAR and 3x 1" PAR), mortise and tenoned frame with vertical pales simply screw fixed in place- cheap and simple to make. Not the prettiest now but in place more than 10 years and still going strong. Span is just under 4 feet, near enough the limit for the size of the framing timber. For a wider gate the biggest issue would be sagging of the frame I'd guess and a steel diagonal strap would probably be the best preventative measure against that.

Advertisement