Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What speeds could I get with these stats?

• 25-02-2013 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

I was just told that I could get upload speeds of of 1.1 mbps from these stats, I'd like to get a second opinion if you can:

Also, what potential download speed could I get too?

xm7v9i.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I was just told that I could get upload speeds of of 1.1 mbps from these stats, I'd like to get a second opinion if you can:

Also, what potential download speed could I get too?

xm7v9i.png
    Upload speed could go up substancially for any DSL user really, theoretically you could get c. 8MB upload with that attenuation / noise margin but the problem is finding an ISP with a profile to provide it. A business line may provide up to 3-4MB upload (SDSL which is the same download as upload) but its very expensive. There is a standard 12MB down / 1MB upload profile you could be switched to, who's your ISP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

advertsfox wrote: »
    Upload speed could go up substancially for any DSL user really, theoretically you could get c. 8MB upload with that attenuation / noise margin but the problem is finding an ISP with a profile to provide it. A business line may provide up to 3-4MB upload (SDSL which is the same download as upload) but its very expensive. There is a standard 12MB down / 1MB upload profile you could be switched to, who's your ISP?

Sky is my provider.

They said my line can reach 15 Mb download but my line never underwent a DLM test, I don't think, and I'm having a difficult time explaining this to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Sky is my provider.

They said my line can reach 15 Mb download but my line never underwent a DLM test, I don't think, and I'm having a difficult time explaining this to them.
    Yes 15Mb seems correct for your maximum download speed but if you need a better upload, its worth taking a slight decrease in download to achieve it.

Call Sky and say you want to change your profile on the Eircom Wholesale to 12288 kbps / 1024 kbps (12MB Down / 1MB Up) and they can put through the request which will only take a short time to complete. Once done, a reboot of the router is all that is needed.

Advertisement