Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why hasn't Nandos taken off here?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

OP, you seem to be confusing popularity with quality. A very common mistake.
    Mc D's, Heineken, white sliced pan, instant coffee, Bacardi Breezer and One Direction are all immensely popular....need I elaborate?
    No because you've proven my point.

One Direction are marketable because loads of people like their music.
    Nandos are marketable because loads of people like their food.

Obviously one of the big draws is the value for money and as the concept is outlawed in Ireland we have our answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Like it every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I don't get the point of this thread, OP you like Nando's fair play to ya, most of us will have been once and decided it's not for us for whatever reason, that's our prerogative.

I will take exception to the opinion expressed that the food in England is rubbish, I go with my young family every summer for the last few and think that the standard of food is generally comparative to what we have but usually a bit cheaper, many of the country pubs do food that would shame a lot of our "top" restaurants and generally their Takeaway foods (ie Fish n chips, Indian, Thai, Chinese etc) is of a far higher standard than ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

glasso wrote: »
    would say that it's more popular in the UK because there's a higher proportion of the racial groups that like chicken a lot in the UK than in Ireland...

As an aside, i never knew any racial group was more partial to chicken than another, ye learn something new everyday here on boards;)

Obviously one of the big draws is the value for money and as the concept is outlawed in Ireland we have our answer.

You've scant understanding of marketing to deduce that one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Or maybe people think that is just average food and not worth the price when for the price of a burger and chips, you can go to an actual restaurant and a decent plate of food.

Nando's, for reasons known only to them, set a price here higher than in the UK. Since it hasn't taken off, it would seem to be a bad decision to make.

If you want to each there, go for it. It would seem that Ireland doesn't really. Each to their own though I guess.

KFC is another place that is very popular in the Uk but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ROFL

Seriously, i think your angry because no one agrees with your one man Nandos parade

reprazant wrote: »
    Or maybe people think that is just average food and not worth the price when for the price of a burger and chips, you can go to an actual restaurant and a decent plate of food.

Nando's, for reasons known only to them, set a price here higher than in the UK. Since it hasn't taken off, it would seem to be a bad decision to make.

If you want to each there, go for it. It would seem that Ireland doesn't really. Each to their own though I guess.
    I agree. It's not just Nandos tbf, even McDs and the like charge more.

Kebabs can cost about a tenner here compared to around £4 in London. Tis mad. I don't know if it's some sort of duty or government levy or what. Corp tax is still much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Why do you think Nando's hasn't taken off in Ireland? It's grown steadily since it entered the country, and the restaurants always seem busy.

I remember eating in Nando's in Australia years ago and I thought it was amazing! I've eaten in it two or three times since it came to Ireland and the best I can say about it is that it's fine. The chicken is grand, they have a decent selection of sides and you never leave hungry. But it is ridiculously expensive for what it is and I don't understand people fawning over it.

I agree. It's not just Nandos tbf, even McDs and the like charge more.

Kebabs can cost about a tenner here compared to around £4 in London. Tis mad. I don't know if it's some sort of duty or government levy or what. Corp tax is still much lower.

Kebabs do not cost a tenner nor have they ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

As an aside, i never knew any racial group was more partial to chicken than another, ye learn something new everyday here on boards;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i didnt want to say it first but its the first thing i noticed when i was over there, its genuinely about 2 - 5% white in there from my observations

kfc also, but to a lesser extent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Nandos food is appalling.It's poor quality and overpriced rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Time,

nandos has been in the UK for ages. (late 90's maybe? and only in london as far as i know)

They've gained popularity in only the last few years, i only saw my first one in uk in 2005 ish, outside of london. I went to south africa in 05/06 where it is everywhere and when i returned to uk nandos was everywhere.

They've been in Ireland 18 months or so and have 6? restaurants. that's pretty quick build up.

give it a few more years and theyll have more restaurants.

They are a cheap ish place to go to in SA, and above average in uk. Kind of like a fancy KFC. SO price wise they are about right here in Ireland, maybe a little high, but we're used to that by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,578 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

6 euro in my local, add 2 for chips and a coke to go with it....

Plenty of non fast food outlets around the country selling very decent lunches for just under a tenner, given the value for money one can find it's no wonder the ovperpriced sh1t available in Nandos is less than popular here.

mikom wrote: »

And the lady on the video asks 'how am i going to feed my children'

Brilliant, my education complete, thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

zaytoon, but still so much better (taste and value) than nandos.

There's one about a 5minutes walk away from me here in Romford and it's always jammed. Because of the crowds I assumed it had to be nicer than the one I'd been dragged to in Dundrum when it opened. Nope, spicy grilled chicken, same as we have maybe twice a week via the foreman grill at home.

Why do you think Nando's hasn't taken off in Ireland? It's grown steadily since it entered the country, and the restaurants always seem busy.
    I guess because they are only really in two locations in the country. Although considering the size of the place we're only really missing them in Limerick and Galway. Still though I would have thought they'd be popular enough to pop up in your biggish towns like Sligo, Ennis, Athlone etc.
    I remember eating in Nando's in Australia years ago and I thought it was amazing! I've eaten in it two or three times since it came to Ireland and the best I can say about it is that it's fine. The chicken is grand, they have a decent selection of sides and you never leave hungry. But it is ridiculously expensive for what it is and I don't understand people fawning over it.
    I'm fairly sure of being able to feed 2 for under £20. Just checked the menu and you can get 2x burgers, sides and drinks for about £18 which is a grand lunch. Maybe that isn't decent value and I just need to dine in less expensive restaurants the rest of the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

glasso wrote: »
    would say that it's more popular in the UK because there's a higher proportion of the racial groups that like chicken a lot in the UK than in Ireland...

Did I just read this right? :eek:

• Advertisement

This is Galway's most popular kebab/chipper
    http://www.thecharcoalgrill.ie/images/dine_in_menu.pdf

€11 doner, €12.50 shish

Believe it or not, it's okay to mention ethnic groups - even when they're black.

Their post is entirely reasonable. There are more pubs in Ireland than Qatar. Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Believe it or not, it's okay to mention ethnic groups - even when they're black.

Thanks for that. What would I do without you, hun? xoxoxoxo etc. etc.

Thanks for that. What would I do without you, hun? xoxoxoxo etc. etc.
    I dunno, continue expressing mock outrage on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

What's the big deal? Ok, they possibly should have said religious groups rather than racial groups, but I don't see what's so offensive about someone pointing out that the UK has a large population of people who don't eat certain meats for religious reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

the food is average at above average cost. Thats why

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm fairly sure of being able to feed 2 for under £20. Just checked the menu and you can get 2x burgers, sides and drinks for about £18 which is a grand lunch. Maybe that isn't decent value and I just need to dine in less expensive restaurants the rest of the time!

In Ireland you would just get two burgers and two sides for €20. Then the drinks are over €3 as well. That's €13 each for a not-very-nutritious lunch. There's a Nando's on Mary Street in Dublin. Lott's Cafe Bar around the corner does lunches during the week of full proper dinners for €5. So no, Nando's definitely doesn't seem like good value for money for lunch. Even Captain America's, which I'd put on the same level as Nando's, does a lunchtime special which includes a glass of wine/bottle of beer or soft drink for €9.95. I'd say surrounding every Nando's there are dozens of options for better quality and better value food!

If that is galways most popular kebab/burger place, they are obviously flush over there and have no qualms wasting their cash.

€3.20 for plain chips? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

This is Galway's most popular kebab/chipper
    http://www.thecharcoalgrill.ie/images/dine_in_menu.pdf

€11 doner, €12.50 shish

Haven't eaten in either establishment, but from a quick scour of the menu, and picking closest I could see that might match.

Charcoal Grill
    Chicken Kebab, with salad and fries, €11. + a Coke, €1.50. Total €12.50

Nandos
    Chicken Wrap, with salad and side €11.35. + a Coke, €3.10. Total €14.45

If you go with the Charcoal lunch special, knock €3 of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I dunno, continue expressing mock outrage on the internet?

Good post, clearly you're adept at this, I'm assuming this thread was set up to get a reaction, you've succeeded brilliantly, last time I posted about 5 or 6 new posts came up before I had mine completed,

"mock outrage":pac::pac:, I'm gonna have to remember that

Advertisement