Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why hasn't Nandos taken off here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

No because you've proven my point.

One Direction are marketable because loads of people like their music.
    Nandos are marketable because loads of people like their food.

Obviously one of the big draws is the value for money and as the concept is outlawed in Ireland we have our answer.

Why ask the question when your answering it, and answering for other also....

Personally I think its muck, don't see it lasting too long and sure as hell won't grow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Honey-ec wrote: »
    What's the big deal? Ok, they possibly should have said religious groups rather than racial groups, but I don't see what's so offensive about someone pointing out that the UK has a large population of people who don't eat certain meats for religious reasons?
    Religious groups have little to do with it, in fact Nandos have to open special Halal restaurants to accommodate for them. It is mainly black people who go there. There is nothing wrong with saying that. Liking chicken is hardly offensive, say way it's fine to say Irish people like a drink.
    In Ireland you would just get two burgers and two sides for €20. Then the drinks are over €3 as well. That's €13 each for a not-very-nutritious lunch. There's a Nando's on Mary Street in Dublin. Lott's Cafe Bar around the corner does lunches during the week of full proper dinners for €5. So no, Nando's definitely doesn't seem like good value for money for lunch
    The tone of your post suggests you're disagreeing with me but this has been be exact point from the start :)
    reprazant wrote: »
    If that is galways most popular kebab/burger place, they are obviously flush over there and have no qualms wasting their cash.

€3.20 for plain chips? Seriously?
    I don't think much of the country is 'flush', not least the part full of students.
    Good post, clearly you're adept at this, I'm assuming this thread was set up to get a reaction, you've succeeded brilliantly, last time I posted about 5 or 6 new posts came up before I had mine completed,
    The backlash is a rather surprising but it's safe to say if this was a troll thread it has to be the most obscure thing to troll people with

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

can feed two people easily for under £20. That could be one of the reasons it's not big here though, what with this country having absolutely criminal food prices.
    I don't find food criminally expensive here, and that is one reason I would not go to nandos which does appear criminally expensive.

People do not seem to like chain restaurants here, you can see it in the replies, they do not consider it a "real" restaurant. If they sneakily opened up the branches with different names & decor they would probably do a bit better.

If people are going to pay to go out many will shun a chain automatically.
    Kebabs can cost about a tenner here compared to around £4 in London. Tis mad.
    I didn't find food particularly cheaper in the UK. Where is this €10 kebab? (edit: I see your charcoal place now, never heard of it before, not that I go to galway much but have been there plenty of times and found plenty of FAR cheaper places). was the outlet really comparable to the UK one with the £4 kebab (I see you specifically chose the dine in menu, did your £4 kebab place also have cheaper takeaway prices?) I have seen kebabs for up to €8-9 here, but in proper places, the kebab is massive and is more comparable to those gourmet burger places. While abras & chippers will do your bog standard cheapo kebabs. I was paying £5-6 in the UK for bog standard ones.

In my local chipper for €10 I can get a family box, this is 2 large on-the-bone southern fried breasts & 3 other pieces (wing, thigh, drumstick) and 2 chips. This is not a special offer either.

I expect if students want a "proper" sit down meal they might go to one of the all you can eat chinese places.
    Believe it or not, it's okay to mention ethnic groups - even when they're black.
    I think the stereotype is more about fried chicken than nandos type
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_chicken#Racial_stereotype
    Racial stereotype

In the United States, fried chicken has stereotypically been associated with African Americans. The reasons for this are various. Chicken dishes were popular among slaves before the Civil War, as chickens were generally the only animals slaves could raise on their own.[17]
    In 2009, when a Bangladeshi immigrant renamed his restaurant to "Obama Fried Chicken" in honor of recently inaugurated President Barack Obama, it caused some controversy. Despite this, the owner refused to change the name back, and the restaurant still operates today with the name.[17]
    In 2012, Burger King received criticism over a commercial for a fried chicken wrap served by the restaurant which was seen as using negative racial stereotypes in relation to fried chicken.[

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Not trolling as such but if you had any idea of the kind of people who frequent the food and drink section of Boards you could have expected this sort of backlash, it would be akin to going on the beer forum and saying how you can't understand why more people don't drink Budweiser, it's only a matter of time before someone tells you that they won't eat a chicken they haven't reared and killed with their own hands.;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Over priced and over hyped.

I haven't tried it in the UK or elsewhere but here its not really anything special.

A dozen other restaurants and pubs do equally good food for less money and without having to queue and order at the counter.

I won't be going back in a hurry. Mediocre food at a high price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

No because you've proven my point.

One Direction are marketable because loads of people like their music.
    Nandos are marketable because loads of people like their food.

Obviously one of the big draws is the value for money and as the concept is outlawed in Ireland we have our answer.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that nandos is not popular in Ireland because it is good food and good value so the Irish either have very poor taste in food or else the Irish refuse to buy anything that is good value for money?

The catchment for nandos as I see it is 25-30 year old middle class people who can afford more than a McDonald's but less than l'ecrivan and are scared to try anywhere they haven't heard of. That seems to be the market that they cater for in Ireland. Maybe in the uk it has ubiquitous appeal, but here it doesn't appeal to people outside that group, and people outside that group are well catered for in any event by other places that are cheaper and better quality.

Not trolling as such but if you had any idea of the kind of people who frequent the food and drink section of Boards you could have expected this sort of backlash, it would be akin to going on the beer forum and saying how you can't understand why more people don't drink Budweiser, it's only a matter of time before someone tells you that they won't eat a chicken they haven't reared and killed with their own hands.;):pac:
    Haha I did have a feeling that was the reason. Get the impression they wouldn't be saying "shur it's just chicken and chips!!" if it were called poulet grillé avec frites.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But they are massively popular in other countries, so the food can't be that rubbish you just think it is.

Despite your denying it, here you equated popularity with quality.

Of course food can be massively popular and rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kauto Star

It is a kip pure and simple. Went to one in London recently to try it when in a rush for something quick. Little choice on menu, crap chips and being your own waiter make it a joke. Was surprised we didn't have to wash up after.

Kauto Star wrote: »
    It is a kip pure and simple. Went to one in London recently to try it when in a rush for something quick. Little choice on menu, crap chips and being your own waiter make it a joke. Was surprised we didn't have to wash up after.
    That's mad :eek: even the people I know who don't like the place much absolutely love the chips.

I actually prefer the semi self service thing, it suits the food well since not everyone need cutlery, some people want different sauces and extra plates etc. A lot less hassle than having to constantly call waiters over. Obviously not somewhere you'll impress a date with though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Kauto Star

Yeah buts also the problem. It isnt one thing or the other. It's not a decent restaurant to take someone to, it's not good as a fast food joint at you gotta go counter, then your drinks and cutlery, then wait again. I honestly think it would be better as either a McDonald's style crap fast food joint or a proper sit in and be waited on Eddie rocket style dinner.

Maybe we were unlucky with the chips but they were honestly crap. Although I am spoilt for good chippers in Wexford so maybe that doesnt help!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i surprised so many are trying to defend it. its clearly been discussed and majority decided its over priced and second rate food with an unpleasent dining experience.

I think alot of people go there because they think its 'cool' from what i can gather.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i surprised so many are trying to defend it. its clearly been discussed and majority decided its over priced and second rate food with an unpleasent dining experience.

I think alot of people go there because they think its 'cool' from what i can gather.

Ah right, if the 30 or so people on boards at a certain time who bother to post in a thread say something then no-one should disagree? Jaysus. it's generally the whiners and people who don't like somewhere who go pyscho on these type of threads rather than the normal people who haven't got such strong opinions.

I've been a couple of times here and a couple of times in the UK. It's grand, nothing too special, but reliable. Similar level to somewhere like Eddie rockets, higher quality than average fast food and with some healthier options that aren't just burger and chips. Quite popular with sports people who eat a lot of chicken when training hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

So OP, hows the job at Nandos going?

Did we get some time away from the grill to do a bit of amateur hour "social media" marketing?

Or maybe I have it wrong and you are just "a man eating chicken"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

This is definitely worth mentioning. Premier League footballers are forever tweeting about going to Nando's for food, and this obviously appeals to a certain type of person in the UK who spends the little bit of spare cash they have on trying to be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I find their food overpriced and their portions are too small. The chips aren't that great either. I have a friend that loves them so we always go there when it's her choice. I always have to make sure I have a dinner waiting at home on those occasions otherwise I'd starve. If it was half the price, it would still be too much spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Went to Nandos in the Pavillions (Swords) to see what the fuss was about. I'd never return.

Overpriced. (Way over priced)
    Poor food. It simply wasn't that nice. KFC chicken is nicer.
    Dirty. The table wasn't cleaned, and the place was filthy.

Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Food is alright I suppose, but its too expensive for what you're getting. These days you can get much nicer food for the same price in a proper restaurant, and you don't have to queue up to pay for it :pac:

I will agree with the OP's point about it being really popular. I probably go there (reluctantly) about once a month because the missus is obsessed with the place. Every time I've been there the place was been packed. They're certainly not short of business and I can see a few more of them opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I remember going to Nando's in Cape Town and I thought the food was so nice and so cheap. I actually thought Nando's was just a South African food chain until about a year later I was in London and saw one there. Every time I go over to the UK i treat myself to a Nandos.

It is very expensive in Ireland though so I tend to just buy the sauces and do my own Chicken Salads and the peri peri spice for the chips :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I moved to the UK a few years ago and pretty much everything on the High Street is a mass produced chain of one sort of the other.

Bottom line being that the food over here generally is complete ****e and I hope the likes of Nandos does not catch on. TBH Ireland does not have the size or population to disguise the crap like they can in the UK with it's 60 odd million population.

One thing I didnt realise until I left Ireland is that the food in Ireland is far superior (not perfect but a hell of a lot better than the UK).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've been to the one in Dundrum twice, and can't see myself going back. It's definitely nice for fast food, but not near nice enough for the price charged. And why are the sides so small? You get these tiny little bowls of chips or salad or whatever, that kind of scrimping just annoys me.

I just can't see why I'd go back when you have Cortinas beside it doing much nicer food for less, or the Port House just across doing way nicer food for only a little more with a much much nicer experience thrown in to boot.

edit: I heard though that there was a huge queue outside the door there last Friday, so apparently some people do like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Personally I rate it as "ok-ish", certainly not my first choice but not overly bad either. The one in Cork (Mahon Point) is always quite packed.

I have to agree on it being quite overpriced - it's very easy to spend in the region of 30 euro for 2 people, just for a bit of chicken and a side of vegetables; Then again, I find 30 euro to be the de facto standard price for a dinner for 2 in Cork.

I also agree with the idea of there being certain groups liking it better than others; Whenever I was in Nando's (both here and in Dublin), a lot of the people in there were French, Spanish and Italian. Lots of families with kids too, so the point about it being children friendly stands.

As for why is it not more popular in Ireland, I must be brash here: clearly, a big chunk of the Irish average public only want humongous portions of greasy crap; The queues outside the chippers at any time of any day of the week speak for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think part of the appeal of a place like Nando's is that it paints a picture of being a compromise between fast food and seated restaurant dining. Food served to you at your table, but you can still get up and walk around, to pick up your cutlery, condiments and drink refills. A very casual dining experience. For Irish people the novelty of bottomless soft drink refills wears thin pretty quickly and after one or two visits, you realize it's just a bit if a con. Mutton dressed as lamb (horse dressed as beef?). The food isn't very healthy; eating large quantities of chicken and deep fried chips isn't actually that good for you (unless you pull off the skin, and opt for corn or salad instead of chips, at which point, you might as well question why you are eating there in the first place).

If in Dundrum, given the choice, I'll eat in Ananda, Siam Thai, or Wagamamma (yes, I know Wagamamma is a franchise). They are pricier, but in my view represent better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I went recently with the missus and it was over thirty euro for two chicken wraps, sides and drinks. The wrap wasn't much better than what I could get in my local Centra for €4. I'm a huge chilli fan but found that their sauces were fairly underwhelming. There is hundreds of better value options in Dublin city. I wouldn't go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Basically places like Nandos/Captain Americas/TGI Fridays are just fast food joints with cutlery and plates. So fair play to the bloke who realised people would pay double what you pay in McDonalds or KFC to eat with a knife and fork for pretty much the same food.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I wonder if the UK having a bigger Sourh African population has helped Nando's popularity? The same with Spur. Neither really picked up here.

Having been brought up in Botswana I have a soft spot for the restaurants but they could only ever be a treat for me because of the prices. It's not gourmet food but I do find it nice and I suppose nostalgia does come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only ever been inside one once. It was the Dundrum one and half empty but still took five minutes before myself and my girlfriend were seated at a grubby, dirty table. The menus handed to us were filthy and sticky and we walked back out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I wonder if part of the appeal for Nando's is that it's slightly different to what the average punter might make at home, but only very slightly different.

You can get your roast chicken, spuds and veg with a bit of gravy, but if you're feeling really adventurous you can have some piri-piri sauce or mango-lime or whatever.

It's something for conservative eaters who want something a tiny bit different, but no more than a tiny bit. In much the same way people will go to a "Chinese" to get their curry chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I wonder if the UK having a bigger Sourh African population has helped Nando's popularity? The same with Spur. Neither really picked up here.

Having been brought up in Botswana I have a soft spot for the restaurants but they could only ever be a treat for me because of the prices. It's not gourmet food but I do find it nice and I suppose nostalgia does come into it.

I'd say Spur didn't take off because it was tastless, featureless junk. At least Nando's has a bit of balls to it in the hot sauces etc

Advertisement