Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest/Quickest state to get a driver's license.

Options
  • 25-02-2013 4:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me which state(s) can you get a driver's license the quickest....as in a day or two?
    I have an expired NY license but in order to get a new one I would need to:

1. take the theory test
    2. attend a 5 hour video course, which is held only once a week.
    3. schedule a road test which could be a month later.

I'd basically just like to be able to go to the DMV, take a test (written, practical, whatever), take my pic and then get my license.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, a new Federal law (The Real ID Act 2012) was brought in last year to counteract the issues of identity theft, fraud, illegal immigration etc etc that are often linked to dodgy fake drivers licenses. As it is a Federal law, all states have to abide by it. It makes getting a new DL, or renewing an old one a lot harder than it used to be. You can no longer just walk in to your local DMV, pose for a new pic and walk out with a new DL in your pocket. If you meet all the requirements regarding the new paperwork requirements & testing procedures, you will be given a temporary, paper license that is valid for 30 days. The actual license will be posted out to you in couple of weeks. If your old DL has expired for 2 years or more, you have to start from scratch again, including re taking the theory and road tests.

You must also prove that you actually live in the state that you are applying for a license in, by providing a bank statement, a mortgage statement, a utility bill, lease agreement etc etc showing your address. That is where the DL will be mailed out to, so it is a lot harder to bounce around from state to state.

If NY is the state that you are physically in, or are going to, you could check the DMV/Dept of Transport websites of bordering states, and see if any of them have more relaxed rules, but I don't think that they will. The new Federal law that was brought in, was intended to having all states singing from the same hymn sheet and, cut down on different ones having different rules when it comes to getting a drivers license.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, a new Federal law (The Real ID Act 2012) was brought in last year to counteract the issues of identity theft, fraud, illegal immigration etc etc that are often linked to dodgy fake drivers licenses. As it is a Federal law, all states have to abide by it. It makes getting a new DL, or renewing an old one a lot harder than it used to be. You can no longer just walk in to your local DMV, pose for a new pic and walk out with a new DL in your pocket. If you meet all the requirements regarding the new paperwork requirements & testing procedures, you will be given a temporary, paper license that is valid for 30 days. The actual license will be posted out to you in couple of weeks. If your old DL has expired for 2 years or more, you have to start from scratch again, including re taking the theory and road tests.

You must also prove that you actually live in the state that you are applying for a license in, by providing a bank statement, a mortgage statement, a utility bill, lease agreement etc etc showing your address. That is where the DL will be mailed out to, so it is a lot harder to bounce around from state to state.

If NY is the state that you are physically in, or are going to, you could check the DMV/Dept of Transport websites of bordering states, and see if any of them have more relaxed rules, but I don't think that they will. The new Federal law that was brought in, was intended to having all states singing from the same hymn sheet and, cut down on different ones having different rules when it comes to getting a drivers license.

I am aware of the procedure in New York but I can already drive, i.e. I don't need any "practice time" with a learner's permit. I would like to get the whole thing done in a day or two. But with New York there is a lot more people than in other states/areas of the country hence a longer wait time to get a driving test.
    I would imagine that some DMV in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming are sitting around waiting for people to schedule a test that they can conduct immediately.
    I also heard people say that in certain states you can get your picture license on the very same day that you do/pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I am aware of the procedure in New York but I can already drive, i.e. I don't need any "practice time" with a learner's permit. I would like to get the whole thing done in a day or two. But with New York there is a lot more people than in other states/areas of the country hence a longer wait time to get a driving test.
    I would imagine that some DMV in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming are sitting around waiting for people to schedule a test that they can conduct immediately.
    I also heard people say that in certain states you can get your picture license on the very same day that you do/pass the test.

Yes but you also have to be a resident of a state to get a license there......you can't just pick a state to get a license, if you live in NY you can only get a license in NY state.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wyoming also has a much smaller population than NY, so it would have far fewer staff on hand to process applications and tests. There is no guarantee that there are loads of staff in Wyoming just sitting around waiting for people to show up and apply for a DL. Even if there were, you would also have to actually live in Wyoming, and be able to prove it, to qualify for a Wyoming drivers license.

Ask those people if they got their DL's on the same day, since July of last year? That is when the new rules came in. The new rules also involve giving out a new Secure Drivers License. These new DL's have a new bar code type feature, and a more sophisticated magnetic strip that will contain more info about the holder. For that reason, they are no longer produced on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There are no appointments where I live (Arkansas), but it still takes 30 days unless you have an unexpired license. The process here is:
    - Show up at the State Trooper office during normal office hours, take a multiple choice theory test on the computer. Get a paper license after showing you are legal in the country.
    - Wait at least 30 days (and up to a year), then return to the office any morning 8am-12 noon and get the practise test (drive around with a trooper for 15 mins or so). You get your pass paper, then go to the DMV same day and get the physical license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

my test was easy.....passed the written, chatted with the tester in the parking lot, told him how difficult the irish test is and the huge fail rate.....didn't even get in the car, he just brought me back inside and passed me

Advertisement