Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frustrated and sad!

• 25-02-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭

We are moving to Australia in 7 weeks and when my friends/family heard, 3 of them said if we didn't take the cat and the dog they would happily take care of them.

We have decided to take our dog, but we just cannot afford to take the cat. It was a very difficult decision, but we made it because we knew we had people to rely on to take him who are already pet owners and know the deal.

So, when we approached them to ask would they like to take him, they all refused! I'm so frustrated by this whole thing, and if we could afford to bring him with us, we would.
    Why on earth do people offer things if they're not actually prepared to stand by their offers? :mad:

I've approached our vet and local animal shelters, and they said it is always a struggle to rehome an adult cat.

It's breaking my heart that my lovely 4 year old one-eyed black cat has no home arranged for him!:(
    But I won't stop until I have found him a perfect new home. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

variety wrote: »
    We are moving to Australia in 7 weeks and when my friends/family heard, 3 of them said if we didn't take the cat and the dog they would happily take care of them.

We have decided to take our dog, but we just cannot afford to take the cat. It was a very difficult decision, but we made it because we knew we had people to rely on to take him who are already pet owners and know the deal.

So, when we approached them to ask would they like to take him, they all refused! I'm so frustrated by this whole thing, and if we could afford to bring him with us, we would.
    Why on earth do people offer things if they're not actually prepared to stand by their offers? :mad:

I've approached our vet and local animal shelters, and they said it is always a struggle to rehome an adult cat.

It's breaking my heart that my lovely 4 year old one-eyed black cat has no home arranged for him!:(
    But I won't stop until I have found him a perfect new home. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

It sounds like the dog is sitting grinning at the cat, could you not take the cat over in 3-4 mts, how much does it cost to take the cat over, (how much did it cost for the dog?),

you might be able to get somone to look after your cat if they know it is only till you get settled and put afew quid together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

The dog is definitely the favourite, yes She's been with us for nearly 10 years and is my shadow. It's costing us €7000 to take her, and another €4k for the cat.
    I've tried the temporary route but noone's biting, unfortunately.

The dog is definitely the favourite, yes She's been with us for nearly 10 years and is my shadow. It's costing us €7000 to take her, and another €4k for the cat.
    I've tried the temporary route but noone's biting, unfortunately.

Sure is a lot of bucks, tough spot OP, I dont know what say seeing those figures, what if you paid someone a small amount to take care of the cat and food money, would this be something you could consider,

what is the cats name, (I hate saying cat), if we get a good convo going here someone might find a soft spot for ?.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It might be worth contacting any no kill rescues in your county to see if they know of anyone who would be willing to foster the cat for you until you could afford to bring it over. Its a long shot I know, but its got to be worth a try. Its an awful dilemma. I wish you well with it.

what is the cats name
    His name is Dodgem (because he's not the most gainly of creatures and is always bashing into things) biggrin.png
    what if you paid someone a small amount to take care of the cat and food money, would this be something you could consider
    I would happily pay for a year's worth of insurance and 6 months of food, but I couldn't commit to it for the rest of his life because I would remain permanently attached to him and it would be so hard (I know, it's selfish!).

• Advertisement

It might be worth contacting any no kill rescues in your county
    Thank you- I know it is something I will have to consider, but only as a last resort. We've had Dodgem since he was a teeny tiny kitten and I don't know how he'd cope in a shelter (he usually goes to the vet when we're on holiday and they dote on him).

As Pumpkinseeds has mentioned, what if you were to make a contribution to such an organization would this help them to be in a position to help you,

just an idea, I would not be very offay with the workings of such things, but I am sure there will be members along soon who know much more than I do and help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Thank you- I know it is something I will have to consider, but only as a last resort. We've had Dodgem since he was a teeny tiny kitten and I don't know how he'd cope in a shelter (he usually goes to the vet when we're on holiday and they dote on him).

I was thinking more of someone who takes in cats for rescues. Most cat rescues are always looking for people to foster animals in the fosterers own homes, a foster home for pets really as opposed to a shelter itself.

How did you fair out V, did you get any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It doesn't need to be a shelter, cat rescues work with foster homes before they find a permanent home. If you have time to find such a rescue he could go straight from your house to the fosterer's. We can't post links but just google for "cat rescue" and check how they operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

variety where abouts are you? I might be able to help

How did you fair out V, did you get any help?

I've had some offers from the boardsies, but am waiting to hear back from one last friend. Thank you all so much for your help on this :)

I've had some offers from the boardsies, but am waiting to hear back from one last friend. Thank you all so much for your help on this :)

Keep safe, :)

Advertisement