Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another water damaged phone problem.

• 25-02-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

The unforgiveable happened to me where i dropped my iphone in water for about 2 seconds:(. The phone powers on and everything functions with the exception of the speakers, both when trying to play music or on an incoming call. I can hear when i plug in headphones.
    This only happened an hour ago and it seems to be working grand with the exception of above. I will place it in rice overnight and see if that does any good.
    Any other suggestions or is it bound for the phone warehouse in the sky?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Turn it off immediately. If damage was done it was probably because you turned it on without drying it out first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Just leave alone in rice for a day. Exact same thing happened to my daughter 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

naasrd wrote: »
    Just leave alone in rice for a day. Exact same thing happened to my daughter 3 weeks ago.
    Was about to suggest the same
    It works a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Don't let it dry naturally in rice, the process takes too long, the copper tracks on the logic board will already have started corroding within a couple of hours, even if your device does work you will more than likely have trouble down the road.
    Turn it off, remove the sim tray, Power on your hoover and start hoovering the dock connector, sim tray and headphone socket area for about 20-30minutes, then if you want to be sure put it in a zip lock bag of rice but trust me the rice alone will do nothing, you need to get as much water out of there as possible and the hoover is the quickest way.

Its always advisable to get the logic board professionally cleaned if its been in contact with liquid to prevent trouble down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Apple replace water damaged iPhones (certain conditions and at a charge). From memory; around €211 for a iPhone5 and around €160 for a 4. Think (not sure) that the 4s is same price as 5...

-edit- found something I posted before (prices may have changed, check link):
    http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Ireland&product=iphone
    click "warranty and service pricing"
    iPhone Model Out-of-Warranty Service
    iPhone 5 €241.30
    iPhone 4S €211.30
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
    iPhone 3G, Original iPhone €161.30

and note: Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Can't believe how stupid people can be turning it on without leaving it to dry out. Leave it in a blow sealed blow of rice place cling fling over the top so no moisture gets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tazdogue

Thanks to all for the advice.
    I took the vacuum to it for 30 mins and left it in rice overnight and working grand this morning.
    stevek93 wrote: »
    Can't believe how stupid people can be turning it on without leaving it to dry out. Leave it in a blow sealed blow of rice place cling fling over the top so no moisture gets in.
    Im sure everyone isnt as intelligent as a superior intellect as yourself no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tazdogue

Thanks to all for the advice!!!

Advertisement