Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following Cardinal O'Briens resignation should Cardinal Brady stay away from Rome?

• 25-02-2013 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭

In the wake of the protests against Cardinal O'Brien being allowed to go to Rome and participate in the selection of a new Pope, he has chosen to resign after suggestions of inpropriety on his part (as of yet unproven). Should Irish Cardinal Sean Brady be expected, or pressurised, to do the same thing?
    This question was discussed recently in the media after being requested by an abuse survivor who suggested that it would be a gesture that would help those who were abused. The request being directed towards Cardinal Brady is as a result of his dealings with Priest Brendan Smyth which have been criticised by some. The story of some more controversial religious figures being a part of this election seems to be an international story at this stage. On the basis of Cardinal Brady's past inactions I believe a moral pressure should see to it that he would not take place in the choice of new Pope as it simply continues the problems of the past being linked to the future.
    Based on his past apologies I do not anticipate him conceding to the abuse survivor request, so my question here is, should he stay away from the conclave if not for the sake of the abused then for the sake of the Church?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sean Brady should resign because of what he did in relation to Brendan Smyth. We haven't forgotten about that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Yes, to the OP's initial question.
    Solely my own opinion, but that the Church is comparatively one of the great institutions of the world. It has achieved so much because of its insitutational strength, fulfilling the role Christ has given it.
    However, it must also set itself a standard than does not merely follow the black-letter of the law, but to be moral in the footsteps of its Founder.
    So Cardinal Brady has in many other matters done great service to the Church.
    This would be one more, abstaining from the conclave in penance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

As a point of note the same question as in thread title should be asked of Desmond Connell's attendance in Rome.

While I don't feel these 2 men give a good representation of Ireland to the world I would be interested in how devout Catholics feel about being represented by these two men? Or does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

As a point of note the same question as in thread title should be asked of Desmond Connell's attendance in Rome.

While I don't feel these 2 men give a good representation of Ireland to the world I would be interested in how devout Catholics feel about being represented by these two men? Or does it matter?

I'm not sure whether Desmond Connell will be in Rome or not, but he won't have a vote as he's above the maximum age. As for Sean Brady, he's a deeply compromised individual and allowing him to continue in his role as Archbishop of Armagh has been yet another blow to the credibility of the Catholic Church in this country.

Advertisement